Notices

Old 22 Jun 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

Alton Towers, When to go?

I'm looking at going to alton towers with my 2 who are 14 and 11. Due to inset days I can either go 8/9th July or in the school holidays.
Anyone have a good idea of when to go? I'm thinking 2 days, but I'm concerned about the wait times!
I've never actually been to alton towers before!
Any advice welcome! Please! 🤣
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

Current closing times for both days is 4pm, however the park have been extending them the week before, generally thurs until 5pm and fri to 6pm (maybe later if pre-booking numbers are high). However at weekends they are generally extending until at least 7pm, normally 8pm which outside of scarefest is unheard of, in past years they have generally closed at 5pm.

Due to the restrictions on numbers queue times are similar most days now, so won't make too much difference. I would prob pick dates that park is likely to be open longer ie the weekend, as numbers are not massively different during July (due to school trips, students being off etc) and you will get more done. The summer hols again not as bad as say may half term as people have 6 weeks to visit rather than just a week. Hrs currently 6pm in summer hols, I think likely to be extended closer to the time until at least 7pm. There is a summer event starting for the summer hols as well, details yet to be announced, likely to include street entertainment, music and possibly extra food stalls.

Also note the park have started to load guests into every row on the coasters, something many other parks have been doing but Alton hadn't. This was a trial they started last week and has resulted in waiting times dropping significantly.

Edited at 12:24 PM.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

I would agree with all of the above - this is the one time of year when visiting on a weekend is preferable to weekdays.

From now until the school holidays kick in weekdays are going to be very busy with school trips, I have even seen some comments that some schools have been unable to book as some days are at capacity because of the demand for trips.

Weekend wise Sundays tend to be quieter than Saturdays. Whenever you go, remember that the gates to the park open at around 9.15am to stop crowds building at the entrance, so if you get there early you can be in line for your first ride before it opens and you can generally get a good couple of rides in before most of the crowds turn up.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

oooh fabulous, thank you both. I am currently thinking of 2 days either fri and sat or sat and sun in August. We go from there down to Wales for a couple of nights. Just looking at the prices of Premier inns to get that booked and then book the tickets. The cheapest way i can see is a 15% off.
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

I have just booked a short break in September for a Saturday and Sunday for £250 2 adults and 1 child (adult price still).

I booked a cheap hotel through booking.com (hungry horse 20 mins away) and then got the tickets through Alton towers, if you book far enough in advance the day ticket is £39 and then you can add on the second day for £10pp
Pre Trip Report| Trip Report

Charlangela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List