Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jun 17, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
julie42
Dibbing with Tink

julie42's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Last year when there were 16 of us, we went from Man in a minibus the night before...it was fab. We always go from Man and usually drive, going the day before is like having an extra day holiday
Old 6 Jun 17, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
Ncl-lhr lgw-mco

We've done the whole drive to and from Manchester and hate it, I've priced up Edinburgh but it's always too expensive. The switch over between Gatwick and Heathrow doesn't bother me, we get a private hire car both ways and have any found it an issue.
The bonus this year being that we got an absolute bargain with BA and I much prefer them to virgin. We've paid £1700 for 2 adults, a teen and a child with 3 weeks car hire upgraded to a midsize suv and that car alone for 3 weeks is around £1000, so £700ish for our 4 flights. Absolute bargain trip
Hi Hannah
What time of year was that for
We are looking for Oct18
Already got villa booked
Are BA flydrives out at 11 months same as flight only
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsNobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

This year we are going NCL -Amsterdam- Detroit-MCO 17-29 Aug for £425. I prefer to fly from NCL as I hate the trip back from Manchester. We have flown with BA transferring from LHR to Gatwick and with a pre-booked transfer is really easy. The only thing I would not do again is fly via Miami as twice we have connected here and twice we have had problems.
MrsNobby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsNobby View Post
This year we are going NCL -Amsterdam- Detroit-MCO 17-29 Aug for £425. I prefer to fly from NCL as I hate the trip back from Manchester. We have flown with BA transferring from LHR to Gatwick and with a pre-booked transfer is really easy. The only thing I would not do again is fly via Miami as twice we have connected here and twice we have had problems.
We did this route in April. We would do it again but would make sure we had plenty of time in Detroit as it took about 2 hrs just for immigration.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post

I would love to fly in and out of Newcastle but the prices are just too high in school holidays. we have flown various routes from Manchester indirect, but do hate the drive back. Last year we flew from Edinburgh-Detroit-Miami as this was the best price option and the drive back from Edinburgh didn't seem as bad as the roads aren't as busy. We got a great deal with BA this year, again from Edinburgh-Heathrow-Miami, £1470 for 3 adults 1 teen including car hire SUV, best deal we've ever had.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Mike, I was sorry for Ncl as they were so delighted and optimistic about the United service, but no, based on reviews it didn't 'feel' a genuine commitment, their ridiculous fare differences were laughable. I remember one NE family having a bad time after being told the inbound Newark flight would soon land, when the aircraft was still sat at Newark! There began a bad time for them, all pax queuing to arrange alternatives. United told them they had to make/pay their own way to LHR, pay for their own hotel. They'd have been better, if there was availability, heading to Edi for the 9am flight the following morn, from memory United placed them on an early afternoon flight from LHR. Apparently delays and cancellations were a common occurrence, which left people snookered and having to travel a fair distance for a flight the following day.

AA's 2006 service was also eagerly awaited. According to my brother a friend of his was booked on the first flight out, being left dry but not high when AA cancelled the route.

Mike, I appreciate it's easy for hubs and I to say we find the trains very good. We carry very limited luggage which makes a difference, we've let the train take the strain since 2011, only once encountered a delay, at York, on the way home in 2015. TPE have placed more 'no change' Ncl to Man Airport trains on, which makes the journey easier, altho the York change is very straightforward. I understand you see it as a schlepp, but after 3 years of FlyMayBe delays from LGW, running to time trains became a refreshing change.
If the train was direct from Durham- Man Airport I'd have considered it... but we fly mid week and the only trains that work time-wise are the one stop at Leeds, so that was a no go. There's 4 of us going, My wife, along with our daughter and 7 year old grand-daughter. The holiday is my birthday present to both of them ( their birthdays are 3 days apart ) and as my daughter suffers from M.E. I'd prefer to keep her stress levels down, so it's ' dad's taxi '

TBH, I don't mind the drive to Manchester - I used to do 40-45K + business miles a year so I'm used to driving at up to 5 hours at a stretch. 2 1/2 hours to Manchester will hardly get the engine warm LOL

Added to that, she who must be obeyed was NOT keen about travelling down on the day of our flight so driving was the logical choice. So I'm told anyway
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike230652 View Post
If the train was direct from Durham- Man Airport I'd have considered it... but we fly mid week and the only trains that work time-wise are the one stop at Leeds, so that was a no go. There's 4 of us going, My wife, along with our daughter and 7 year old grand-daughter. The holiday is my birthday present to both of them ( their birthdays are 3 days apart ) and as my daughter suffers from M.E. I'd prefer to keep her stress levels down, so it's ' dad's taxi '

TBH, I don't mind the drive to Manchester - I used to do 40-45K + business miles a year so I'm used to driving at up to 5 hours at a stretch. 2 1/2 hours to Manchester will hardly get the engine warm LOL

Added to that, she who must be obeyed was NOT keen about travelling down on the day of our flight so driving was the logical choice. So I'm told anyway
Got that right Mike, we won't travel the morn of our flight, so overnight at Heald Green Premier Inn. Hopefully TPE will keep the 'no change' trains that they've recently reinstated. I can see you have enough on your plate with the bairns for phaffing on with the train, it's easy for us and I tend to forget it's not so for others with bairns and a canny bit of luggage in tow.

I'm sure you know this, but if not, Heald Green PI offer free parking the night of your stay, long stay parking is HG side of Man Airport. The bairns might enjoy the aircraft coming over seconds before hitting the runway, we go for a walk to watch them There's a Beefeater attached to the PI or many restaurants/take aways within easy walking distance into town.
Old 7 Jun 17, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
CuriousAlice
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mackem21 View Post
Try Ncl-Heathrow-Miami British Airways fly drive, a lot cheaper than going direct to Orlando. Good connections and plenty of flights to choose from. Try the BA sale. Only down side a four hour drive to Orlando. But Miami is good.
We did that route with BA last year and used the opportunity to see the Keys. I got flights for around £350 in the xmas sale. We have also done BA to MCO but it is a pain getting between Heathrow to Gatwick to make the connection to Newcastle. Otherwise we have flown direct from Manchester with Virgin. The jet lagged drive back isn't pleasant though. I think I would do the Miiami route again when I am lucky enough to go back.
CuriousAlice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by CuriousAlice View Post
We did that route with BA last year and used the opportunity to see the Keys. I got flights for around £350 in the xmas sale. We have also done BA to MCO but it is a pain getting between Heathrow to Gatwick to make the connection to Newcastle. Otherwise we have flown direct from Manchester with Virgin. The jet lagged drive back isn't pleasant though. I think I would do the Miiami route again when I am lucky enough to go back.
That's the route we're doing this year and I have only read one person say that they wouldn't do it again. Which is encouraging.
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Geordie boy 57 View Post
Hi Hannah