Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 20 Oct 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

Tourin' Over California 2017 - Day 4 Journey to Yosemite

16 July

We struggled to find a table for breakfast and had to wait for someone to move and then Megan struggled to find anything she liked, with no Cheerios and no Strawberry yoghurt. She eventually settled on oatmeal, which I don't ever remember her eating before.

We wheeled the cases 2 blocks to pick up our hire car from Avis. It was a Suburu Forrester with 18 miles on the clock

We made our way through the streets of San Francisco leaving the city over Bay Bridge to head east on I580 for our journey to Yosemite.

It was a hot sunny day and the temperatures kept rising on the display until eventually it reached 110.

After reaching the CA140 we were getting ready for a drink. We stopped at a winery and the lady asked if we were wanting to do some wine tasting but we said it was only soft drinks we were after, together with a bathroom break. It was a lovely place, and nice to just sit inside with a drink for 10 minutes or so & stretch our legs after the journey.

After having our drinks we went back out into the blazing sun and continued our journey past what we think were orange groves, until we started to climb up into the hills alongside the Merced river where we saw some people rafting.

We reached Yosemite View Lodge about 2.30 and there was quite a queue to check in. The girl seemed to be having a bit of trouble finding our booking but eventually we got our room keys. Tracey and Megan had been looking around the shop, and Tracey bought a magnet for the fridge. Megan noted that they had Cidre!

We were in Maple block which housed an indoor pool. We were able to park outside the block, and got the lift up to the room as we were on the second floor and we had our cases.

The room was in need of a refurbishment but served the purpose. We were disappointed that the room had no safe.

After getting changed into cooler clothes (we had jeans and t shirts on), and leaving our bags, we headed off to Tunnel View.
We paid our $30 entrance fee to the national park and soon came to Bridalveil falls so pulled in at the parking lot and walked to see the falls in full flow. Megan and I climbed the rocks and we took photos.

We then carried on to the spectacular view that is Tunnel View. It really is something to see.

When we had got back to the hotel, Tracey and I walked to the shop to get something for breakfast the next day. Megan was asleep in the room. We got a take out pizza for tea, Tracey had salad, before spending the rest of the evening relaxing in the room

Day 5 here
Birtie's Trip ReportsOct95~QIP,Aug97~HJ Universal Tower/Wedding,Aug03~BWMovieland/BWPlaza,Feb05~BW ML/POR,Aug07~CBR,Aug08~Rosen Plaza/Marriott Suites Clearwater, Aug09~OKW,Xmas10~ASMu, Aug11~POR,Aug12~POR, Aug13~DCL Med,Xmas13~ASMu, Aug14~RPR/POR,Feb15~Shingle Creek,Aug15~SSR/DCL Western/BC,May16~DCL Norway, Dec 16~BCV/RPR/SSR, Aug 17~AKL/DCL/POL,Aug 19~POR/DCL/BRV,Jan 20~SSR/Vero/RCL,Mar 22~ESSS/SSR,Aug 22 Road Trip, Nov 23~ESSS/SSR/DCL Wish/GF

Edited at 09:10 AM.
Birtie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

It all looks amazing! I have read your other days just waiting for the rest of them ha
We too are staying in Pier 2620. How did you rate Dylan's tours? I can't wait for Alcatraz...
I would love to do Yosemite but I really am apprehensive of the drive up the mountain( I don't do heights but I feel I am missing out )
Can't wait for the next instalment...
Old 23 Oct 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

We enjoyed Dylan's tours. It gave us on overview of the city and also the bridge. We really enjoyed Sausalito and Muir Woods. I don't think there is anything to worry about with the drive in Yosemite. The climb to Glacier Point was the only part that was twisty road with any drops but that wasn't too bad. If you were concerned you could just do the valley floor.
Birtie's Trip ReportsOct95~QIP,Aug97~HJ Universal Tower/Wedding,Aug03~BWMovieland/BWPlaza,Feb05~BW ML/POR,Aug07~CBR,Aug08~Rosen Plaza/Marriott Suites Clearwater, Aug09~OKW,Xmas10~ASMu, Aug11~POR,Aug12~POR, Aug13~DCL Med,Xmas13~ASMu, Aug14~RPR/POR,Feb15~Shingle Creek,Aug15~SSR/DCL Western/BC,May16~DCL Norway, Dec 16~BCV/RPR/SSR, Aug 17~AKL/DCL/POL,Aug 19~POR/DCL/BRV,Jan 20~SSR/Vero/RCL,Mar 22~ESSS/SSR,Aug 22 Road Trip, Nov 23~ESSS/SSR/DCL Wish/GF
Birtie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 17, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Birtie View Post
We enjoyed Dylan's tours. It gave us on overview of the city and also the bridge. We really enjoyed Sausalito and Muir Woods. I don't think there is anything to worry about with the drive in Yosemite. The climb to Glacier Point was the only part that was twisty road with any drops but that wasn't too bad. If you were concerned you could just do the valley floor.
Do you think it was worth the cost? I know that's subjective but there are 5 if us and as I'm finding out California isn't cheap lol. However I don't want to scrimp and miss out. I have to assume we never go again and don't want to miss the key things.
Thank you re Yosemite it's the drive from SF to Yosemite that I've been told is hairy!
Old 25 Oct 17, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

I wanted to visit Muir Woods which the tour included, so for us it was worth it. If you want to concentrate on seeing the city it perhaps isn't worth it.

We didn't find the journey to Yosemite to be hairy at all. but it might have been the route we took. We went via CA99 and CA140 and that was fine. If you get directions from Google Maps it comes up as the fastest route
Old 25 Oct 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Birtie View Post
I wanted to visit Muir Woods which the tour included, so for us it was worth it. If you want to concentrate on seeing the city it perhaps isn't worth it.

We didn't find the journey to Yosemite to be hairy at all. but it might have been the route we took. We went via CA99 and CA140 and that was fine. If you get directions from Google Maps it comes up as the fastest route
I defo want to do Muir woods
Oo thank you I will have a look... no steep hills?
Waiting for your next day?
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

The only steep hills we drove up were going to Glacier Point