Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Oct 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
You forgot omega !
I’m here!
This thread got me thinking. A lot of the chat is about what is important to people - cherished plates, holidays, watches, handbags, etc.
For me, it’s family, health and travel - in that order. Couldn’t give a **** about personal possessions really. My family say I’m a nightmare to buy presents for, it seems I never want anything!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I’m here!
This thread got me thinking. A lot of the chat is about what is important to people - cherished plates, holidays, watches, handbags, etc.
For me, it’s family, health and travel - in that order. Couldn’t give a **** about personal possessions really. My family say I’m a nightmare to buy presents for, it seems I never want anything!
You've the right attitude , without health or loved ones to share them with the rest is just "stuff" .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I disagree. I have a very good friend who several years ago came into a lot of money (several million), surprisingly it didn't change her at all, a few years after that they came into far FAR more (around 30 million that she's confessed to), it changed her significantly and not in a good way for someone who had prior to that been so grounded, the millionaire lifestyle that just wasn't bought into during the first few million is very much lorded over us paupers!

It's quite sad in a way as underneath it all, there is a very grounded, sensible person, sometimes you get a little glimpse of the person who she was.
Yes I'm sure that happens to some but in my experience most don't fundamentally change. At least not if they have made the money for themselves.

Those who have come from very little are certainly well aware of that and generally are careful not to flaunt it as they don't want to rub it in the faces of their friends who might not be so fortunate.

The personal plate thing is interesting to me as the stereotypical pp owner gets the same reaction regardless of how rich they are. It's down to the type of person. IMO of course.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
The difference is the envy that people seem to show. Inverted snobbery. Thats the point - what you say is right, but it seems many cant accept what you say.
But I see the same reaction among rich people so I don't think it's as much about envy. Someone might be envious of a flash car but the pp says so much more (usually)
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Yes I'm sure that happens to some but in my experience most don't fundamentally change. At least not if they have made the money for themselves.

Those who have come from very little are certainly well aware of that and generally are careful not to flaunt it as they don't want to rub it in the faces of their friends who might not be so fortunate.

The personal plate thing is interesting to me as the stereotypical pp owner gets the same reaction regardless of how rich they are. It's down to the type of person. IMO of course.
Just out of interest what do you mean by "the type of person"?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

But I see the same reaction among rich people so I don't think it's as much about envy. Someone might be envious of a flash car but the pp says so much more (usually)
Maybe not all about envy - but what ever trait or work, it isn't good.
The fact many people cant accept how others live and what they buy is very sad. And a pretty nasty trait. You are maybe right - it goes much deeper than envy.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Just out of interest what do you mean by "the type of person"?
It's the stereotypical "look at me" type.
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

It's the stereotypical "look at me" type.
So you dont think people can buy things for their own enjoyment?

I have a private plate and there was not a single element of the decision related to this stereotype. What others think of me is of less than zero interest to me.
However, I can see how this can be assumed - like fashion and so many other things.
I personally wouldn't want to have to cope with pleasing others in all sorts of pointless ways. And I do agree a pp is completely meaningless in reality - but i could afford it and liked it.
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

This thread is wonderful.

So many people exposing their shallow humanity.

I've just bought a new car, 14 months old because it's stupid to buy new, and never considered adding a different number plate but now I'm scanning the options available.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

I bought mine after getting hold of my dream car after the wife and I split up!

It just seemed a great idea to have my name on my car way back in 2001

Never crossed my mind it was anything else it was just a great thing to have after splitting up
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread