Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Marks and Spencers, bet dibbers could save it!

I have just seen M and S is in even more trouble and it occurs to me that rather than "experts" they should ask people who shop there (or don't and if not why not) what they are doing wrong.

I find it hard to find anything in there - for example if I want to look at dresses I don't want to be wandering round different areas of "ranges". Also I laugh at some of their prices, especially in their home range.
I do like some of their make up but again very overpriced for what it is. Food - not much choice, poor dates and I haven't been able to get Pea shoots lately.

Just to add I am a great online shopper and their delivery to store is terrible compared to others.

Edited at 03:18 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Froggy88
Imagineer

Mobile

Ours is closing early next year and they're opening a food hall about 3/4 miles away.

They've struggled to break the fact that people still see it as a place grandma's shop for clothes.

The shortbread is the only good thing about ours.
Froggy88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Froggy88 View Post
Ours is closing early next year and they're opening a food hall about 3/4 miles away.

They've struggled to break the fact that people still see it as a place grandma's shop for clothes.

The shortbread is the only good thing about ours.
The truth is that grandmas do like to shop there - I'm married to one

Not an expert on frocks but I think they employ 20 year old buyers to purchase stuff that grandmas would never buy.

Mick
Old 22 May 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I chose a rather nice linen shirt for my birthday and it was sold out so they must be doing something right. I actually like some of their clothes and food, I buy loads from Next so maybe they should try following their route and slash everything to half price in the sales. I’m not a Granny as yet!
Old 22 May 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I was sad to see Woolworths go I used to spend ages looking round " wooly's " even though I didn't buy much . As for Marks, I like their swim wear but their clothes are neither here nor there , food wise it has gone downhill , the ready meals are bland , I rarely buy them now but I find their meats and fruit and veg are good . I will be sad if it goes as it's just another traditional high street shop that we have lost and before long it won't be worth venturing into town unless you want a barbers, a card shop, a coffee shop or a pound shop .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

We really like their food and often shop there... but the clothing

We find their clothing is either for the much older generations or weird and not so wonderful 'fashion' items that don't really suit anyone and are overpriced.

Maybe the buyers wear blindfolds?

The only excellent thing is when they have 20% off beauty items. I buy my L'Occitane Divine cream and save about £16, L'Occitane never have such a good deal.

Sandra
Old 22 May 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I think M & S needs to reinvent itself or its long term future will be very debenhams-esque

Disney332
Old 22 May 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Our local M & S shut a week or so ago. We have a really big one in Sheffield at Meadowhall which I always preferred anyway. I like their casual stuff like tshirts and linen shirts (Sandra it might’ve been the one you liked I just bought lol but I’m a few hundred miles away so didn’t clear your local store out) my youngest is still at school and I like their uniform , she moves to secondary school and will need a good kit out soon. Always do quite a bit of Chimbo shopping there and bits and bobs from food court especially the meal deals for tea at weekends.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lettie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I have just seen M and S is in even more trouble and it occurs to me that rather than "experts" they should ask people who shop there (or don't and if not why not) what they are doing wrong.

I find it hard to find anything in there - for example if I want to look at dresses I don't want to be wandering round different areas of "ranges". Also I laugh at some of their prices, especially in their home range.
I do like some of their make up but again very overpriced for what it is. Food - not much choice, poor dates and I haven't been able to get Pea shoots lately.

Just to add I am a great online shopper and their delivery to store is terrible compared to others.

Why don't you ask Sue if us dibbers could help.
Old 22 May 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I find that there is a huge difference from store to store. Our store is quite large and always busy. Their school clothes range is great. I am no grandma but not a 20 year old either (48) and I always manage to find quite a few bits of clothing every season - especially when I get one of those 20% off coupons through Sparks. Underwear and nightwear are particular favourites and I find the quality good. Work trousers good value. Menswear however is dire - apart from socks and underwear my husband never finds anything there.

Also like the food department, which again is large at our store with a deli counter and they do tasting/sampling by chefs doing live cooking at weekends. I have never been disappointed with any food item that I have bought at M&S - far superior ready meals than most other supermarkets.

And finally, their cut flowers are lovely.

Maybe I am ageing prematurely but I do like going shopping at M&S :-) and would be very sad if they went the same way as Woolworths did.