Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Oct 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Latics
Apprentice Imagineer

Latics's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Disney has always been about making money... ALWAYS... Walt didn't setup a charity...

Stood watching Happily Ever After with my little four year old with a massive beam on her face with tears in my eyes The magic is still there for me
Totally agree
Latics is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
stuiedo
Proud to wear my Ears

I appreciate the annoyance, but Disney is and always will be a business. It may be making mega bucks, but that may not be in all its parks. Each part of the business needs to be delivering a profit, and the parks cant be subsidised by other parts of the business. Disney have shareholders, so they have to be provided with dividend payouts. They haven't invested just so they can be part of the magic. They expect and demand a return.

And I'm fine with this. It means they are well run, and WONT go bust. Like some other companies we are all well too familiar with. It means they will continue to invest in their parks to make them better. As they know if they dont crowds will drop and they will lose money. Which they cant do, the shareholders wont allow it.

The reason certain shows/rides etc are cancelled or closed will always be due to finances. Was it worth the investment to keep it going based on how many people used/experienced them? I expect on this occasion not enough people were doing it to warrant the cost. But they will change to a new show/experience to see if that is more popular or less costly to run.

As long as you go and enjoy the Disney experience being appreciative of this then you shouldnt let it get you down. Yes, it all costs a lot of money for all of us. But that is why it is a treat. That's why we save for years for an amazing trip, excitedly counting down the days until it arrives. We then all make judgement calls on what we feel is value for money and worth paying - i.e. do you stay onsite (costs a bomb, but get full disney experience), do you take lunches into the parks, do you do all the parks, should you get public transport so you dont have to pay for parking etc?

But at the end of the day, they are a corporate machine and their purpose is to make as much money as possible for their shareholders. If people vote with their feet and stop paying then they will have no option but to lower prices etc. But as long as people keep paying they will keep charging.
stuiedo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stuiedo View Post
If people vote with their feet and stop paying then they will have no option but to lower prices etc.
And lower their offering... Less rides, less shows, less characters, less new developments...
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Lynda__Loo
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by jessandjon2005 View Post
Its not just Disney, but universal seem to be bucking the trend also.

I don't know if any of you went to HHN recently this year, but it was diabolical.

£800 we paid for 2 FF tickets and the scare zones were a joke and practically non-existent.

More money, higher prices, offering less and less every year and more than likely having meetings about how can we do a HHN for as little money as possible.
And as for that show...….Academy of Villains, whats that all about?

Inexperienced dancers that cant even dance in time with each other and a show that made no sense whatsoever, again cheap entertainment.
It was like watching an audition of BGT, but worse

I know we are all entitled to our own opinion, but when Americans love it and back it all the way, all this is going to do is encourage Universal to keep getting away with it and trying the same thing.

How long have we put up with chainsaws in Krustyland now, year in year out, its not even scary anymore and getting very tedious.

I could keep going as I can think of several more, but one I cannot be bothered as it wont change anything and secondly I just wont be giving them my money anymore which is why is nearly told a Universal staff member where to go when he tried to stop me and ask my feedback as I left, because they don't/wont listen anyway so whats the point?
We were at HHN this year over a few different nights and honestly had an amazing time.

I think maybe we must have been at a different show as we thought the AOV was fab, definately not like any BGT episode I have seen

What did you think of the houses, did you enjoy any of these?

We had such a good time and are really looking forwards to going back next year.
Lynda__Loo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Disney have always been a business with a chief executive,it was just Walt Disney in the early days!
It's not their fault people believe it's paid for with pixie dust and magic,they have to pay for everything they change and add to the Parks!
Galaxy's Edge cost them a Billion and the new Epcot will be a fortune too!
I See many posts on here about that's getting old and that needs changing,well it has to be paid for somehow!
We have just come back from our 9th visit in 13 years and it was the most expensive,we did stay in Disney though!
However it still made me cry,I still had a few lumps in my throat and we had the most magical time,so Even though they are a business with a CEO he is doing something very right in my opinion!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023

Edited at 10:31 AM.
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
I’ve been saying for a while that every time we’ve been Disney in the last few years, I’ve come away feeling like I’ve been mugged.
So why do you keep going?
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Prices go up, it’s a business. it’s how businesses work. We’re here now and other than a busy Halloween party last night, which was still bareable, the parks have been absolutely fine, not crazy busy, and we’ve had the most relaxed trip of all of our trips. (3rd one) Dinner at Sanaa for 2 adults and 2 kids was $130, which included starts, beer, and cocktails, that works out to be £104 and we spend more than that on a Saturday afternoon in TGI’s at home so I don’t think it’s crazy expensive. We’re coming back next year and looking forward to it...at the end of the day if you think it’s too expensive and you dont enjoy it anymore then maybe it’s time to go somewhere new!

Edited at 01:38 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Disney has always been about making money... ALWAYS... Walt didn't setup a charity...

Stood watching Happily Ever After with my little four year old with a massive beam on her face with tears in my eyes The magic is still there for me
Of course it has. Walt was a businessman first and last but a lot of people are very naοve and can't see that, or they don't want to see it. I love my Disney trips but I'm under no illusions and take them for what they are.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2

This ^

It's like people forget Walt set up Disneyland so that it would keep out the "riff raff" (my words, not his). Unlike other funfairs, you had to pay just to get in and then pay again to go on the rides and the more rides you wanted to go on, the more it would cost you. It was aimed at middle income families - those with a reasonable amount of disposable income. It has always been about making money, just like every other entertainment business (and I am under no illusions that Disney is any different to any other business).

At the moment, I still very much enjoy visiting WDW. Last time we visited in 2016 we decided to have a longer break until our next visit because it was starting to get a bit "samey". I am looking forward to visiting next year and there's lots of new things for us to see and do. Therefore it is worth it for us. But there may well come a point in the future where the value no longer justifies the cost. That threshold will be different for everyone. We haven't hit it yet.

In the meantime, I'll still be smiling whilst I walk down Main Street.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lynda__Loo View Post
We were at HHN this year over a few different nights and honestly had an amazing time.

I think maybe we must have been at a different show as we thought the AOV was fab, definately not like any BGT episode I have seen

What did you think of the houses, did you enjoy any of these?

We had such a good time and are really looking forwards to going back next year.
We watched the Tim Tracker vid of HHN and thought it looked really good. Not our cup of tea but very cool nonetheless.

I'd strongly disagree with Universal being overpriced for UK visitors - depending on the trip. Get a 14 night pass for £300, we got 6 good days from that last year (7 the year before!) works out to £50 a day. That to me is acceptable prices.

Now, for people who buy 1 or 2 day tickets, maybe it is overpriced. I'd agree with not going for that. But they don't hide the price and surprise you with it at the gate. Especially in this day and age with video reviews and the like it's not hard to see if something would be worth it to you - we just did it with HHN as stated above, decided good but not for us so not bothering with tickets.

If we don't enjoy WDW this year, we'll just have to find somewhere else I suppose. In 2009 we felt like we'd outgrown Orlando, so that's what we did, chose somewhere else and came back when we thought we might enjoy it more.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List