Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 31 Jul 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Some great ideas, love the one about potatoes. We are taking a few BBQs, first time we only doing 2 nights then three nights. Can you freeze cans of cider, i thought the would explode? !?
Old 1 Aug 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Some great ideas, love the one about potatoes. We are taking a few BBQs, first time we only doing 2 nights then three nights. Can you freeze cans of cider, i thought the would explode? !?
dd often freezes cans of alcohol so they are slushy and sometime the bottom pops out if they freeze solid but its very rare that they explode- glass bottle are a different matter
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Reminds me of camping every weekend with my family when i was growing up in the 60s. My mum always used Smash potato, packet soups (just add water) and tinned everything else! The only things I can actually remember being cooked from scratch were sausages and eggs! We loved it :-)
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
i cant vouch for other brands of cider, but in many years of doing it, strongbow has never failed me. a few cans expand and pop the inverted bottom bit out, and one developed a pinhole sized leak, but i suspect that was a can that had been dropped or something prior to freezing. use them as icepacks for the first couple of days and then on day 3 you have nice chilly cans to drink!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
Reminds me of camping every weekend with my family when i was growing up in the 60s. My mum always used Smash potato, packet soups (just add water) and tinned everything else! The only things I can actually remember being cooked from scratch were sausages and eggs! We loved it :-)
I remember those types of holidays too 😀 We had all the meals you mentioned, plus delicacies such as tins of burgers in gravy served with tinned mixed veg and tinned potatoes (or smash) or tins of tiny sausages and beans or tins of all day breakfast. Breakfast was either a fry up or the small individual Kellogg’s cereals 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Strongbow it is then! And i’ll look out for tinned stuff, although we may end up at the chippy! Got asda sausage patties as i thought they would cook quicker than regular ones, got to do a cooked brekkie! Thanks for all the ideas! Especially looking forward to drinking the ‘ice blocks!’ X
Old 3 Aug 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I remember those types of holidays too 😀 We had all the meals you mentioned, plus delicacies such as tins of burgers in gravy served with tinned mixed veg and tinned potatoes (or smash) or tins of tiny sausages and beans or tins of all day breakfast. Breakfast was either a fry up or the small individual Kellogg’s cereals 😂
I'd forgotten the tinned hamburgers - god knows what was in them, but they smelled lovely cooking! My dad still likes the tins of all day breakfast!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 10:47 AM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
I'd forgotten the tinned hamburgers - did knows what was in them, but they smelled lovely cooking! My dad still likes the tins of all day breakfast!
I think they smelled much better than they tasted 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

So i got a tin of burgers in gravy( if DD doesnt want them the dog can eat them!), doing rest of food shoppng this week, m&s chicken curry will feature on menu! Bbq tea for 2 x nights, third day we are going on a ‘bullie’ dog walk so will grab tea in a chippy somewhere! Really looking forward to getting away now! Got to sort the kit out this week, we go next friday! Yay!
Old 9 Aug 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Only need to use 2 rings.

One to boil and steam rice.

The other the a jar or thai curry paste/indian curry paste, tin of coconut milk, chicken, onions and peppers. A perfectly serviceable curry, add naan under the grill.

Another choice is fajitas, chicken, onion, peppers. All in one pan, warm tortilla under the grill.

Paella, onions, peppers, rice, saffron, chicken stock, prawns.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List