Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Oct 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
hardly
Excited about Disney

I’m thinking about for 1st time ever, arriving at MCO. Booking universal hotel for around 4 nights, way I’m thinking is save £40 a day renting vehicle and £20 ish parking it. That’s 60£ a day saved whilst there. I will need to taxi/Uber from MCO, any ideas on cost of the taxi.
Then rent from the I drive area, where is best and who with? Has anyone done this?
I do like having the car but 60£ a day to park it may be worth being without for a few days.
hardly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Virgin will require payment up front I believe.

Uber to Universal would be about $28-$30 (uber/gb/en/price-estimate/)

Avis are on site at Universal but tend to be a bit more expensive. Alamo are relatively nr by at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel however the location is closed due to CV so not accepting new bookings.
Budget are a short walk from the Hard Rock hotel on Kirkman Road and then further South along idrive you have Dollar and Hertz.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
aw thats a fabulous idea but we can't move that much due to school holidays and the fact we've just managed to get reward flights for next August.

Tom can you cancel without penalty with Virgin and what does it include i.e. extra driver etc. which company do they normally use? We've always had Alamo in the past. Was that £1k on car hire you saved ! thats amazing
Sorry missed your question. I don't come on here much now as I'm still doing loads of work in the house.

Virgin use Alamo for the USA and like Alamo Brits they give a 2nd driver free. I don't find their prices great any more but all of a sudden for certain dates they can be good.
I used to book via VA not VH as the Miles track easier that way and the documents arrive immediately whereas with VH they don't.
Free cancellation

No the £1K saving is only partly based on the car, the bulk is cheaper flights coming back later in Sept. The beauty of not having school age Children.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
hardly
Excited about Disney

Andy, I’ve been looking at an itinerary. I seen 9th -20th aug for £385 from universal. Full size with hertz.
However I’m thinking 1st 2 nights around Disney springs, then last 3 nights at universal. So my preference would be on the 9th Aug 2021 collect car around Disney springs area, and on the 20th drop off at universal. Is this possible? Only ever used Alamo, but I’m flexible.
hardly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Unfortunately the rental companies are charging a peak season surcharge for rentals that commence between 1st July to 15th August.

We have a full size car avaiable with Budget for £516 and an intermediate SUV with Hertz for £589 if either of those are any good for you. (from my offline system so won't show up on the website).
Thanks for this Andy. Explains why our dates are sky high. Starting the rental a day before 1st July for two weeks saves almost £800 for a full size SUV! It's double the price when pick up is after 1st July.

So glad I dropped into this thread before booking flights. That said the price is still so much higher than last year.
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Prices are crazy, really crazy. We are a family of 6 and everything is around 1000.00. Last time we went we paid around half that price.
Old 18 Oct 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
corrinda
Imagineer

I booked using hertz and joined the gold membership which took price down again and no,payment till you get there
corrinda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Strangely, car prices on the West side seem really good right now. Those below were through Travelsupermarket-Holidayautos-Alamo. (I trust all of these).

20-27 August SFO-Burbank , RAV4 £211
27-31 August Tucson-Las Vegas, RAV4 £152 (I didn’t fancy the 503 mile/8 hr without stops drive from Burbank to Tucson, so have cunningly booked flights).

You will note that both are different start and finish points and that the second one is a pick up in Arizona with a drop in a different State, Nevada. Both have CDW and free cancellation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:35 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Sorry missed your question. I don't come on here much now as I'm still doing loads of work in the house.

Virgin use Alamo for the USA and like Alamo Brits they give a 2nd driver free. I don't find their prices great any more but all of a sudden for certain dates they can be good.
I used to book via VA not VH as the Miles track easier that way and the documents arrive immediately whereas with VH they don't.
Free cancellation

No the £1K saving is only partly based on the car, the bulk is cheaper flights coming back later in Sept. The beauty of not having school age Children.
No worries - wish I could get my husband to do some work in this house ! What dates have you planned? I have a feeling we may have a slight crossover perhaps we can have that meet up (socially distanced of course) that got delayed with the hurricane last time. are you at SSR?
Old 19 Oct 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Unfortunately i'm coming back more expensive... £790 with Alamo on the stnd SUV with 2 drivers.
Sorry about that.
Andy are you still getting this price if so how do I go about booking please?