Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 May 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Theme Park Attendance Report for 2017

Someone else mentioned this on another thread but I thought I'd raise it here in a separate post.

TEA have recently released their annual theme park attendance report, this time for 2017. See here for the PDF version:

teaconnect/images/fil...730_180517.pdf

You know when Universal opened the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the attendance at IOA significantly increased? Well, the opening of Pandora has done the same thing for Animal Kingdom. The attendance is up 15% and it is now the third most popular theme park in America (behind Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, of course). It's now more popular than Epcot. And people said no one would be interested in an land dedicated to Avatar.

Whilst the other Disney parks increased their attendance figures slightly, Hollywood Studios attendance dropped slightly (again!), probably due to a lack of attractions and the ongoing construction work. That's likely to pick up this year once Toy Story Land opens.

Universal's parks are up 2%, a small increase but at least it was an increase. Because poor old Seaworld sees yet another drop in attendance, this time by 10%. Busch Gardens also saw a drop of 5%. Things aren't looking too good for Seaworld.

On to waterparks, and Volcano Bay is now placed third in North America's ranks, behind Disney's two waterparks (TL and BB). Aquatica is fourth. All of them (except VB which is new) saw drops in attendance.

Finally, it's great news for DLP in Paris. For the first time in forever, DLP attendance has risen - and by 15%, no less. Walt Disney Studios' attendance hasn't increased by quite the same amount but it's still up by nearly 5%. Excellent!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Interesting report. It's amazing how much difference Pandora has made.

Seaworld San Diego was down 13.9% as well as the drops for the Florida parks
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Whilst the other Disney parks increased their attendance figures slightly, Hollywood Studios attendance dropped slightly (again!), probably due to a lack of attractions and the ongoing construction work. That's likely to pick up this year once Toy Story Land opens.
...and will probably rocket up (no pun intended) when Star Wars opens next year.

Thanks for sharing the report. I saw the other post you mention and was going to try and find it. You saved me the trouble

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
...and will probably rocket up (no pun intended) when Star Wars opens next year.
Yes. Although as Star Wars Land at Hollywood Studios will only open towards the very end of next year, I expect it won't make a large difference to the annual attendance in 2019. It'll be 2020 when the attendance will really rocket. Which, of course, will be reported in 2021 - in 3 years time!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:32 PM. Reason: 3 years time not 4
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Interesting, I love things like this with facts and numbers thank you for sharing
Old 24 May 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sea World is trying to off load Busch Gardens but has had no success so far.

Sea World Orlando will slowly remove animals and concentrate on attractions and conservation
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Last year was DLP's silver anniversary which I suspect increased attendance. In fact I know a few people who specifically went for that reason. I went in September and thought the decorations and parade were great. I have been several other times too.

Edited at 07:25 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Sea World Orlando will slowly remove animals and concentrate on attractions and conservation
Keeping animals is part of conservation. But you’re right, I expect Seaworld will reduce the amount and type of animals they have and concentrate on rides. Let’s hope that helps stop the fall in attendance numbers.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 24 May 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Last year was DLP's silver anniversary which I suspect increased attendance.
Good point I forgot about that. It certainly looks like those celebrations helped attract visitors, which is a good thing for DLP. And hopefully this year’s Summer of Superheroes - and the other announced changes coming to the resort - will continue that trend.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 27 May 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I hope Seaword do get rid of their animals & concentrate on attractions. I’d probably go then! They’re fighting a losing battle otherwise.
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List