Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 15 May 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile What "American" foods do you love or hate?

On my first visit I had a list of typical American foods I wanted to try- either things you can't get here, or classic American food they just do better over there. Safe to say I didn't manage half of the list! And some of the things I tried I liked, others not so much.

Things I liked:
Chicken and waffles- really wish we'd made it to Hash House a Go Go, but loved the chicken and waffles I had elsewhere!
Pancakes- the ones at IHOP are 1000% better than any I've had in the UK
Donuts- American donuts are just so good
Coconut patties- the ones covered in chocolate that come in the little packet. A random purchase but so yummy!
Goldfish crackers: not keen on mini cheddars but liked these!
Brookie: A cookie and a brownie had a baby and it was delicious
Breadsticks at Olive Garden: have always wanted to try these!

What didn't live up to the hype:
Dippin Dots ice cream: I heard about these a lot and wanted to try even though they were like $5 a pot- but I thought they were a bit tasteless and meh
Rice crisy treats: they're just rice crispy squares, taste the exact same?!
Swedish Fish: Seen these in loads of YouTube vlogs/hauls so wanted them- they went in the bin! But probably an error on my side as I'm not into chewy sweets.

What I hated:
Turkey legs: had visions of us strolling around the parks chomping on these! Hubby got one and ewww it was so dry but greasy. It was more like gammon than turkey.
Grits: will never understand this
"Biscuits"- also will never understand
American Gravy: that ain't gravy son
Streaky bacon: okay, I know you can get this here, but I just cannot get on board with American bacon
Twinkies: just eww.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more... but about you guys?! Make me some suggestions (or warnings)! I still need to try a corn dog, hubby keeps telling me I'll hate them.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Jeez... think I agree with everything on that list..!...especially the "hated" column...
Grits / biscuits / gravy / turkey legs... eeewww

Love the peanut butter M&Ms... yum...and the buttermilk chicken
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had cheesy grits this last trip. DH tasted them and was not impressed! Don't bother with corn dogs, not nice. Breakfast gravy is just beige, and tasteless.

Always read menus carefully, we've had some very weird meals at times. Our own fault for not studying the details!
Old 15 May 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Between us DH loves Smuckers Peanut butter Root Beer I hate both
I love unsweetened Sweet Tea and Minute Maid lemonade he hates them
We both love the variety of fish /sea food you can get and Publix Mango Key lime Pie to die for
We both hate the sweet bread we only eat Kaiser rolls or Italian Chicago bread from the deli

Edited at 01:06 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat22
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Jeez... think I agree with everything on that list..!...especially the "hated" column...
Grits / biscuits / gravy / turkey legs... eeewww

Love the peanut butter M&Ms... yum...and the buttermilk chicken
Peanut butter m&ms- my favourites!
Our local petrol station sells them now- lethal!

Edited at 01:06 PM.
Kat22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Always enjoy a turkey leg at home at Xmas but the one I had in MK, absolutely disgusting.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMoney
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Main things I like that are typically American:

Corn bread
Tacos
Deep pan pizza (but only if in Chicago)
Garrett popcorn
Key lime pie
S’mores
Philly cheese steak
Mac and cheese (but not at Disney)
Peanut butter ice cream
Peanut butter anything come to think of it

Dislike:
TURKEY LEGS (I mean are they even for real?! People look like cavemen walking around eating those) 🍗
Grits
Mickey waffles
Biscuits & gravy
American streaky bacon
Tater tots
Cobb salad (disappointingly not had a good one yet)
Jerky
Meatloaf
Hot dogs

Still have yet to try Nutella and peanut butter sweet potato fries
MrsMoney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I can't believe so many of you are hating on the Biscuits & Gravy - We love 'em!
We have even made them at home... Something that my DH keeps reminding me I haven't done for a while, haha.

I hate grits though. It's like sauce with sand in it. Just crazy! x
Old 15 May 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Buscuits. I just don't get them. Why do I want something that resembles a scone with my fried chicken? Grits just look like runny porridge (which I hate) and I totally agree with Dipping Dots, I really wanted to try them but they were like chewing gum!

I do love their donuts, especially the big pink at universal. Got something so big I thought it would be really dry but it was amazing even the next day!

And that fact you can get slushies just about everywhere, in loads of different flavours 😍 Oh and twistee treats on the 192, genius idea to have an ice cream shop shaped like an ice cream on the side of the road!

Edited at 01:36 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Dunkaccino, love it, although because it's on the 'hot chocolate' menu I didn't realise that it contained more caffeine than a double espresso. I found this out on google 3 hours after bedtime!

Hated country fried steak. We were in a Mels Diner somewhere on the gulf coast, and loads of it was being served - I always take a sneaky peak at other people's food to see what to order. Well messed up big time with that one - and it was served with sausage gravy which is another foodstuff that is just wrong on so many levels.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List