Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jun 14, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
champagnegirl26
Imagineer

champagnegirl26's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I would suggest you absolutely DONT do this yet.
You need to understand what has happened before doing anything like this. If you do this and you are wrong, this will be held on your file.
You need to check what you actually signed for at the time of the rental and whether you selected the correct car. Was the total zero? If not, then you are relying on good will to get a refund as you will pay what you signed for. If you selected the wrong car - this is your responsibility and they will likely not accept that some guy told you to take it - again you will be relying on good will.
Once you have all the facts (possibly some from Alamo), the you can decide objectively what to do.
If you "go off on one" you will likely get nowhere.
Get the facts and deal with Alamo professionally and politely. That way you will have the best chance of a positive result.

I know this is difficult but keep calm!

When would we have signed? We did online check in. We went straight to the garage. Would he have signed when leaving the garage with the car? To be fair I didn't even look at the paperwork he handed me after the long flight. And we no longer have it. Seems I could have made an inocent but expensive mistake in which case I won't be using them ever again as they told me to choose from that row. I'm so upset. Nearly £400 on top of our holiday costs all after the event was not what I had planned. We had no debt after this holiday and it seems now we will have and we will have to save up to pay all that off... I could cry!

June 2007 Masters Inn hotel Kissimmee
June 2008 Disney resort tour
May2009 Oak plantation villas
May 2010 Pop century
May 2014 Dibb villa
Aug 2016 Dibb villa
May 2018 Dibb villa
May 2019 Cumbrian lakes villa.
champagnegirl26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 14, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by yorky View Post
You have certainly taken a car that's a standard rather than intermediate looking at the Alamo website, I take it they have classed that as an upgrade, problem is proving that they told you you take any car from that row given its not in writing.
Surely if you have taken a car above the level you have paid you would be stopped at the exit...don't they check the agreement versus the car you are driving
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 14, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
champagnegirl26
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Surely if you have taken a car above the level you have paid you would be stopped at the exit...don't they check the agreement versus the car you are driving
You would think so wouldn't you! Our holiday was three weeks too that's probably why it's nearly £400 I would never pay to upgrade the car but this time we decided to upgrade to mid size but never would have paid more for bigger now I feel it's been forced on us. It's made me quite sad. We can't afford to have credit card debts.

May 2010 Pop century
May 2014 Dibb villa
Aug 2016 Dibb villa
May 2018 Dibb villa
champagnegirl26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
yorky
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
All I can say is on the Alamo Brits site it is a one grade higher car ?
I know most people like picking their own car but this is the reason I prefer a car already allocated, if it's a higher class it's their issue.
yorky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by champagnegirl26 View Post
I would never pay to upgrade the car but this time we decided to upgrade to mid size but never would have paid more for bigger now I feel it's been forced on us. It's made me quite sad. We can't afford to have credit card debts.
In your first post you say you had a prepaid voucher, was this for a mid-size? or did you upgrade at the airport? - if at the airport, I am afraid your charges could be right as looking at the costings you posted, the first transaction looks like a credit? so the $468 could be upgrade charges?

When we had our issue, we had paid for an IFAR class car which on our paperwork specified a Cheverolet Equinox or Equiv, which we had, however they charged us as an upgrade and claimed that the Equinox had been re-classed as SFAR - as we had the original paperwork stating the Equinox the CC agreed with us that we did not receive the upgarde ISWIM?
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
champagnegirl26
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyWannabe View Post
In your first post you say you had a prepaid voucher, was this for a mid-size? or did you upgrade at the airport? - if at the airport, I am afraid your charges could be right as looking at the costings you posted, the first transaction looks like a credit? so the $468 could be upgrade charges?

When we had our issue, we had paid for an IFAR class car which on our paperwork specified a Cheverolet Equinox or Equiv, which we had, however they charged us as an upgrade and claimed that the Equinox had been re-classed as SFAR - as we had the original paperwork stating the Equinox the CC agreed with us that we did not receive the upgarde ISWIM?
No we chose the midsize at the point of booking our fly drive with virgin holidays.

May 2010 Pop century
May 2014 Dibb villa
Aug 2016 Dibb villa
May 2018 Dibb villa
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

When you returned the car, an Alamo rep will have "pinged" the barcode on the windscreen and handed a printout of the final charges to you ( less any tolls or traffic violation). It looks like a credit card receipt. They would have handed it to you whilst you were taking your cases etc out of the car. Are you sure that you haven't kept that, as it would have shown any charges etc then?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
champagnegirl26
Imagineer

I mean if the initial booking was $515 why would you ever pay a further $468 for a tiny so called upgrade like that? It's madness! Our paperwork stated midsize and we chose from midsize row. We did not require an upgrade. I'm so cross.

May 2010 Pop century
May 2014 Dibb villa
Aug 2016 Dibb villa
May 2018 Dibb villa
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
You certainly have my sympathy, i've got no respect for the way hire car companies do business.
While its always buyer beware they do things in a less than perfect way for me.
Agree...dollar/thrifty have tried it on twice with me during this twelve week trip...

First rental for eight weeks they tried slipping personal accident insurance onto the rental...that would have been over three hundred dollars if i had not spotted it.

Second rental they tried insisting i had to pay for a tank of fuel...were not taking no for an answer until i got out my papers and showed them it was a full to full fuel arrangement.

Pity that they prey on the customers that keep them in business.
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 14, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by champagnegirl26 View Post
No we chose the midsize at the point of booking our fly drive with virgin holidays.
Phew! - when I read your post I thought you meant you had upgraded at the airport. It sounds like you were told to pick from the wrong row (accidentally? deliberately?), I know exactly what you mean about not really checking the agreement, because we also didn't check properly, because we had said "no thanks" to all the offers, we never thought for a second that we would be misled. FWIW, the car we picked was only one of five cars in the garage left that day, so I doubt we were directed to the wrong class.

Try not to let it tarnish you wonderful holiday, you will get it sorted but it may take some time. Best wishes