Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jul 14, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
skindogg
slightly serious Dibber

skindogg's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
BUDGET ripped me off...embarassed

Been coming to Florida for years and I just got caught by Budget - cant believe I did not see this - hopefully this warning will help someone else

Rented with Budget last night at MCO. Sylvia the rep was lovely. No hard sales, handed me the agreement said 'initial here, here and sign here'.

Woke up this morning, checked the document and she had added on Personal accident and lots of other insurances and I stupidly signed the document.

Have to say she started flirting with me just before I signed telling me my glasses were cute. Can't believe I fell for it.

Called Budget this morning and they agreed to take it off but just be careful - I have been renting for years and always think I know to look out for these things but this time i fell for it and am embarassed about that.

Don't let them rip you off!
Old 6 Jul 14, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Don't be embarrassed , you've just been on a 9 hour flight and probably been up since god knows when. They are very good at being sneaky! glad you got them taken off.
Enjoy your holiday !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Sooooooo sneaky! Glad you got the sales woman's name - hope you complained!
Old 6 Jul 14, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
moshman10
Imagineer

moshman10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you got it sorted. I was done like that in Aus, and didn't notice till I got back, it was too late by then.
Old 6 Jul 14, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm booked with Budget and had read some other reports of similar practice.

Had you pre-paid for the main rental or just placed a reservation or decided who to rent with on arrival?

I've pre-paid and registered through usrentacar so was intending to go straight to the garage and avoid any "upselling opportunities".
Old 6 Jul 14, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Thanks for the tip! We have only rented with Budget once and that was in Germany (everything went ok).
However, in the US it's mainly been with Alamo and Dollar oh and Hertz (once) but as we are members with them with just go out to the garage and pick a car. This time we are going with Budget as they came out cheaper than the others.

I don't know what it is but I just have this gut feeling something will go wrong when we get to Budget and pick up the SUV. I am really hoping Alamo or Dollar come with cheaper rates because I really do prefer those 2.

Glad ya got your money back though. Enjoy your holiday!
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Don't be embarrassed, these reps are skilled at, and have no conscience, taking advantage of travellers. This is the second time today that I've read on the Dibb of "insurances" being added when they haven't been asked for. Unfortunately, it means that we have to continue being vigilant. The good thing is that you checked early enough to question the addition and get it removed.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Don't be embarrassed, we had EXACTLY the same thing happen to us with Hertz last August. After travelling all day, indirect flights and a half hour wait for the car, we signed at the gate and left. Check ed the documents as soon as we got to OKW and personal accident insurance among other things had been added on without our permission. We also had it refunded as I called up straight away grrrrrrr!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I've been told by a few members on here that you can go straight to the garage/kiosk with Budget also, as long as you've registered through usrentacar. I registered last night and ticked that I didn't want any extras above what I've already paid. Could any recent Budget renters confirm or deny my information please?
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lawe
VIP Dibber

lawe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We have all been here at some point in time, but as always it's another tip to keep reminding to everyone, old and new, always, always check the paper work and do your homework before going!

May 2012, August 2016 Lake Berkley Resort
June 2024 booked back to Lake Berkley
lawe is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread