Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Aug 15, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Quick bit of uber info

Hi all, out here now and have taken the plunge and used Uber a few times. Have been getting the price in dollars via the app after each ride but have just checked my credit card statement and am very pleased.
From Disney Saratoga Springs to Universal cost me about £9.50 and from hotel to Florida Mall has cost just over £10. Uber back from Busch Gardens Tampa cost £50
Only negative comment is that sometimes the gps signal doesn't pin point where you are very well and you can see the picture of the car on the map driving around near where you are or going straight passed but this has always been rectified with the driver calling to find out our exact whereabouts
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 15, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
aay_esha
Apprentice Imagineer

We've been thinking of trying it next year as it seems to work out cheaper than Mears!
aay_esha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
challybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

we are in orlando and have used uber every day since we arrived, we have sed a mix of paypal and debit card for the payments and have saved alot compared with using mears
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loopylola
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Same here we have only used uber for 2 longer journeys and both were free using RIDIN30 code however the few journeys we have done, to Walmart, florida mall ect have all come up £4/£5 on my credit card bill. For some reason I couldn't add paypal as payment to mine!
loopylola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Uber worries me as they are ordinary drivers, not necessarily trained, vetted taxi drivers. You're getting into a private car with someone you don't know. I can't see us risking it even if it is cheaper, it just doesn't seem safe to me.
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dvc View Post
Uber worries me as they are ordinary drivers, not necessarily trained, vetted taxi drivers. You're getting into a private car with someone you don't know. I can't see us risking it even if it is cheaper, it just doesn't seem safe to me.
They get the same back ground checks as Mears and other cab drivers. The cars are not private as the drivers are employed by UBER
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
challybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
all the uber drivers we have used in the past 2 weeks are taxi drivers or limo drivers using uber to earn a little extra , one driver told us that he had background checks going back 15 years
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by challybaby View Post
all the uber drivers we have used in the past 2 weeks are taxi drivers or limo drivers using uber to earn a little extra , one driver told us that he had background checks going back 15 years
Yes this is common, thing is people just jump on the blame band wagon..

Uber is great no cash involved and very very convenient - lots of sour grapes with conventional drivers... they need to move on and modernise
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's nothing to do with sour grapes or beng a dinosaur, it's about my familiy's safety for me and I just don't think they're a safe organisation so I won't be using them that's all. Everyone can make their own decisions and this is just mine!
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
challybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

to be perfectly honest i would use uber over mears and diamond cabs, twice this holiday we had no 3g so couldnt order uber and got a diamond and mears cab and both cabs were disgusting, open food containers everywhere, the mears cab smelt bad and things were hanging off like the door handle , also both the drivers took us the wrong direction or long way round .

all the uber cars we have used have been new, clean and smelt nice

my dad is a uk taxi driver and he knows plenty of drivers with convictions since they were vetted and they still drive