Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Dec 15, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess-momo View Post
thanks for that sandy we have plenty of time to come to a final decision but i just like to be organised. There are 3 of us that will be able to drive (me, my OH and my OHs brother) I don't drink so could easily drive from the malls if my OH and bro wanted to have a drink. I don't see the need for having the car the WHOLE holiday, i've worked out that much haha!

thank you for everyones views, appreciate it. it's helping me see the bigger pic
That's the thing that ###### me off the most when I went with my parents when we hired the car we paid extra so my parents were added to the insurance so they could drive but didn't drive once. I didn't mind driving but ###### me off at Busch Gardens and Sea World as back then both parks were owned by Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc and they had a building where you can try free beer and my dad loved it in there but my mum was to scared to drive so I had to stick to soft drinks.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 15, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Redriva
Imagineer

we have stayed onsite twice, once with a car and once without ...

I would have to say that it was so much less stressful without the car! the Disney transport is so easy to use, even to get to other resorts (best place to change buses that involves the least walking and time wasted is Disney Springs now that there is only one bus rank there). and for a couple of days shopping we just used Uber which was cheap and really simple. I wouldn't even think about hiring a car again if staying onsite

Edited at 10:03 AM.
Redriva is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 15, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
princess-momo
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
That's the thing that ###### me off the most when I went with my parents when we hired the car we paid extra so my parents were added to the insurance so they could drive but didn't drive once. I didn't mind driving but ###### me off at Busch Gardens and Sea World as back then both parks were owned by Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc and they had a building where you can try free beer and my dad loved it in there but my mum was to scared to drive so I had to stick to soft drinks.
what is the driving like there? is it pretty straight forward? Don't want to spoil my OHs holiday by making him have to stay away from a beer or 2 because he has to drive so i will take up the task of driving if i have to

Originally Posted by Redriva View Post
we have stayed onsite twice, once with a car and once without ...

I would have to say that it was so much less stressful without the car! the Disney transport is so easy to use, even to get to other resorts (best place to change buses that involves the least walking and time wasted is Disney Springs now that there is only one bus rank there). and for a couple of days shopping we just used Uber which was cheap and really simple. I wouldn't even think about hiring a car again if staying onsite
yes, if we were to do JUST disney transport we would use uber for our shopping trips etc...

we're planning on staying at OKW so just a stones throw from disney springs. Do the buses from disney springs run to other resorts then? I'm just trying to think on how we'd get to the Contemporary for example for breakfast at chef mickeys just using disney transport. What i have read is that it is easier getting a bus to MK and monorail it over to contemporary but to me that sound's like so much hassle for first thing in the morning for breaky

Edited at 11:48 AM.
princess-momo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 15, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Stuart446
Proud to wear my Ears

A car every time for me. What a lot of people seem to forget is that Florida is not just about the Mouse, there are so many other wonderful and exciting things to see and do away from the parks. Get a car and do some exploring, you won't regret it.
Stuart446 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 15, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetie Babes
VIP Dibber

Sweetie Babes's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 32

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
what is the driving like there? is it pretty straight forward? Don't want to spoil my OHs holiday by making him have to stay away from a beer or 2 because he has to drive so i will take up the task of driving if i have to

yes, if we were to do JUST disney transport we would use uber for our shopping trips etc...

we're planning on staying at OKW so just a stones throw from disney springs. Do the buses from disney springs run to other resorts then? I'm just trying to think on how we'd get to the Contemporary for example for breakfast at chef mickeys just using disney transport. What i have read is that it is easier getting a bus to MK and monorail it over to contemporary but to me that sound's like so much hassle for first thing in the morning for breaky
Believe me, it's a LOT quicker to take the bus to MK and then take the monorail round to one of the resorts or, if eating at the Contemporary walking round. From OKW (depending on which building you're in) it can be as little as 15 minutes from the bus leaving the resort to getting out at the bus stop at MK. The Contemporary is literally 5 minutes' walk from the bus stop! I know, because DD and I did it last month.
Nov03: 14nts Travelodge/ Feb05: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Aug06: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Apr08: 10nts villa White Oak Circle/ Feb11: 14nts condo Sweetwater Circle/ Feb12: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb13: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb14: 7nts CBR/ Mar15: 14nts AoA/ Nov15: 7nts OKW(DVC)/ Aug16: 2nts BLT/ 6nts AKL/ Sep17: 8nts OKW/3nts BLT/ Sep18: 1nt GFV/9nts OKW/ Feb19: 5nts POR/3nts GFV/ Feb20: 8nts AKL/ Apr22: 3nts OKW/8nts GFV / May23: 9nts BLT / Apr24: 14nts villa Seasons Blvd
Sweetie Babes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 15, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetie Babes
VIP Dibber

Sweetie Babes's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 32

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
We have been to Florida 10 times, staying on site the last 3 trips. We have always hired a car - obviously you need to if staying off site (especially if you're in a villa or condo). Even staying on site it's been useful to have the car even if we did use the bus more than the car to get to the parks. But, we like to go shopping (sometimes we just get in the car and go out to Walmart for an hour or so), and if you've got an ADR at a resort you need to drive. Last month, I drove to Jambo House for breakfast at Boma and then drove to and parked at AK for the day.

In 2014 DD and I took the ME to and from the airport, but it was such a huge chunk out of the day to go to and from DCCC to pick up and drop off the car that I don't think we should take the ME again. OH and I are seriously considering 8 or 9 days next August for our Silver Wedding, and I was wondering about the ME, but knowing that for OH and I it's not all about the parks (and we're DVC anyway) we're probably going to have to hire a car.

Last month, even despite having a map, I got lost nearly every time we went somewhere different in the car! Disney are notoriously bad at sign-posting you out of parks and resorts! It's as if they either don't want you leaving, or they get you so far and then it's like 'right, you're on your own from here'. For instance, we were trying to return to OKW after a park, and it said 'OKW next left'. We followed the road to the left - and then met traffic lights at a crossroads with not one single signpost telling you where to go! DD said go left, but we ended up back on the road back out of Disney again! It's hopeless!
Nov03: 14nts Travelodge/ Feb05: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Aug06: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Apr08: 10nts villa White Oak Circle/ Feb11: 14nts condo Sweetwater Circle/ Feb12: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb13: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb14: 7nts CBR/ Mar15: 14nts AoA/ Nov15: 7nts OKW(DVC)/ Aug16: 2nts BLT/ 6nts AKL/ Sep17: 8nts OKW/3nts BLT/ Sep18: 1nt GFV/9nts OKW/ Feb19: 5nts POR/3nts GFV/ Feb20: 8nts AKL/ Apr22: 3nts OKW/8nts GFV / May23: 9nts BLT / Apr24: 14nts villa Seasons Blvd
Sweetie Babes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 15, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
princess-momo
Apprentice Imagineer

oh jeez - haha!

We were going to use the shuttles to get to and from parks as i've heard it is easy. Like you said it's getting to resorts at xx.xxam for breaky that a car would come in handy. we could always Uber it though couldn't we? still a bit rough on the rules of where you can use uber
princess-momo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 15, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Sweetie Babes View Post
Believe me, it's a LOT quicker to take the bus to MK and then take the monorail round to one of the resorts or, if eating at the Contemporary walking round. From OKW (depending on which building you're in) it can be as little as 15 minutes from the bus leaving the resort to getting out at the bus stop at MK. The Contemporary is literally 5 minutes' walk from the bus stop! I know, because DD and I did it last month.
Bet you i will beat you hands down in a rental car! By at least 30 mins door to door and sticking to the speed limit.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 15, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

Mobile

We did two weeks onsite. First week without a car, second week with. In the second week we did a day shopping, went to HDDR and went between a couple of other resorts too (we were staying at AKL). Next year we're staying onsite again. We will get a car for a few days (when we go offsite or if we visit other resorts), but will use Disney transport for going to parks. We just found it so easy.
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 15, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

i had a look on alamos' site and you can choose to pick up from the CCC
Thank you

Now to decide which car!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread