Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Feb 16, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by livlass View Post
Ive pm'ed you too hope you dont mind.
no of course not thanks for all your help
Old 8 Feb 16, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
I am really wanting to hire a car when we go to Florida but i must admit the thought of driving on the other side of the road really intimidates plus throw in the fact i dont where iam going.

Has anyone else ever had these fears but have managed to pluck up the courage to go for it. any tips ?
It soon becomes natural, after driving for a few miles.
Take time to find the controls of the car BEFORE you drive away for the first time. Many people set off, then realise they don't know where the light switch or wiper switch is, so they instinctively pull over to the left side of the road to stop (in the fast lane). Usually a few of these on the exit road from the airport.
Most people become familiar very quickly and actually enjoy driving more in USA than at home.
The roads are wide and signposts are very good, so don't panic, just take your time. Have a great trip.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 16, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

I was exactly like this in the run up to our 2013 trip, we'd decided we wanted to visit some zoos in Florida which were not serviced by public transport.. So that meant I had to drive.

On the first couple of days I probably put dents in the wheel because I was holding on for dear life.. But by the end it was a doddle. I just made sure I knew all the local road laws which I figured would probably put me ahead of half the native drivers

Strangely, I actually got used to driving on the right by playing games like Grand Theft Auto before I left. I just used to pick a car and pootle round following the roads as best I could, the game did have a habit of having taxis drive in to the back of me though.

Naturally, when you get to Florida, you do have to remind yourself that you aren't meant to do wheelies in a real car.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 16, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
It soon becomes natural, after driving for a few miles.
Take time to find the controls of the car BEFORE you drive away for the first time. Many people set off, then realise they don't know where the light switch or wiper switch is, so they instinctively pull over to the left side of the road to stop (in the fast lane). Usually a few of these on the exit road from the airport.
Most people become familiar very quickly and actually enjoy driving more in USA than at home.
The roads are wide and signposts are very good, so don't panic, just take your time. Have a great trip.
Thank you so much for your advice
Old 8 Feb 16, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
Originally Posted by kaytronika View Post
I was exactly like this in the run up to our 2013 trip, we'd decided we wanted to visit some zoos in Florida which were not serviced by public transport.. So that meant I had to drive.

On the first couple of days I probably put dents in the wheel because I was holding on for dear life.. But by the end it was a doddle. I just made sure I knew all the local road laws which I figured would probably put me ahead of half the native drivers

Strangely, I actually got used to driving on the right by playing games like Grand Theft Auto before I left. I just used to pick a car and pootle round following the roads as best I could, the game did have a habit of having taxis drive in to the back of me though.
Naturally, when you get to Florida, you do have to remind yourself that you aren't meant to do wheelies in a real car.
thank you for your reply .. when you say that you knew the local road laws what do you mean by that ?
Old 8 Feb 16, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

first time i went in 2008 i was bricking it after a particularly bad experience driving in france a few years after passing my test in the 90's

i needntve worried though. the first couple of hours in the car is a bit weird and a little confusing, but by day 3 i was loving it. most roads are dual carriageways at the very least, so its really quite difficult to be driving on the wrong side of the road. the only times i feel a bit uncomfortable when driving new is at massive crossroad junctions where i'm turning left (cagans crossing coming out of walmart back to champions gate makes me cautious every time we go even all these years later!)

having a satnav guiding you definitely helps, it leaves you free to concentrate on driving an automatic car on the wrong side of the road, rather than where you are actually going and whether or not the turnoff coming up is the one you need to come off at! it also stops you having arguments with your co-pilot about where you need to go

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 16, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
thank you for your reply .. when you say that you knew the local road laws what do you mean by that ?
I read through a guide like this one:
kissimmee-us192/british/driving.htm

So I knew about stopping before turning right on a red, pulling over one lane for police officers, that sort of thing.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Loved this thread this will be my first time driving this year in Florida as it's usually my hubby but I'm looking forward to having a go !
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 16, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
can i buy a satnav in the uk that will work in the us ie maps and will the in car charger work in the us cars
Old 17 Feb 16, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gusgusmummy View Post
Loved this thread this will be my first time driving this year in Florida as it's usually my hubby but I'm looking forward to having a go !
good luck i am sure we will be fine its the thought once we are actually doing it all will be fine