Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Mar 16, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

The numbers are mile markers I believe so the 1st exit is at mile marker 55 and the next at mile marker 58.

Also remember unless it says not to you can turn right on a red traffic light if it's clear. The most bizarre feeling but it can be done.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by JP13 View Post
One thing I would say is plan your journeys- I don't think the road signs etc are as good in the US. I use a sat nav in the UK all the time so generally have one but if you have a reliable map reader in your party then use him/ her. This time we used the gps on our iPhone (using 3 feel at home) which was more accurate about roadworks & queues.
The exit numbers don't always run chronologically so you need to be aware- on the I4 it jumps from exit 58 to 55 and I've never discovered what happened to the missing numbers!
The exits relate to mileage. They were changed years ago. So if you are at exit 55 and the next exit is 58 you know you have 3 miles to go.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

The exit numbers are just the distance in miles - on the I4 measured from Tampa. So if you are going from Exit 58 to 55, you know it is 3 miles. Simple and more informative than the UK system, once you know that.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh I remember them changing - I can remember when they had both exit numbers- that was fun. I still prefer 56 to follow 55 but I realise I'm in a minority of one!
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
paulandalison
Imagineer

paulandalison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The very first time in 2005 DH was going to drive, he was so nervous, like yourself he had never driven an automatic plus other side of the road, after the initial day he was thinking what was I worried about, he absolutely loves it he said its much easier than driving in this country, the roads are wide well signposted, all you do with the driving forget your left foot as you dont have a clutch, use same foot for both pedals like you do normally accelerator and break,
Plus you can under and overtake over there, once you've done it you'll see how easy the driving is over there, and starts relaxing when driving.
paulandalison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Perhaps you could hire/borrow an auto for the day here as practice to take that weight off your mind.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The first time I did it I was 25 and I couldn't believe how quickly I got used to both driving an automatic and driving on the other side of the road. We've had a couple of hairy moments over the years when we've ended up on the wrong road (evil Florida Turnpike!) but we got there in the end. Driving on the opposite side is easy as everyone else is doing it so you just follow the flow. The roads are very wide and usually the carriageways are divided so to would actually be quote difficult to drive on the wrong side. Driving an automatic just tuck your left foot away out the way of the pedals so you're not tempted to use it. Read up about driving over there before you go so you have an idea of the rules of the road.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Please don't worry about what side of the road you are on, as the steering wheel has changed sides too. So whenever you are driving the centre of the road is next to you, the driver, just as in the UK.
At large junctions there are dotted lines to guide you round to the next road, you just follow them.
Also don't stress over an automatic, forget all about it changing gear for you. All you have to do is fold your left leg back away from the pedals. Now all you do is press the accelerator to go, the harder you press the faster you go. Then to stop take your right foot off the accelerator and press the brake to stop. The harder you press the quicker you will stop. DO NOT USE YOUR LEFT LEG FOR THIS. the car will stop, but keep your foot on the brake until you need to move off then on with accelerator again.
If you do need to creep forward in traffic, just slowly let off the brake. The car will slowly creep ahead without touching the accelerator. Push brake again to stop.
Simply put. No left leg use. Press accelerator to go, and brake to stop, the car does all the rest for you.
You will do fine

Edited at 11:05 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Although I find it easy driving in the US (like a lot of posters have said) I totally understand that you are worried - especially as this is your first time. I'll put my hand up and say that I haven't read all of the prior posts but here are my thoughts:

There are a number of things that may worry you. One of them may be finding your way around which can be an added pressure. Try an find a map and familiarise yourself with the main roads. I suggest your other half does the same. If you tend to argue over driving try and get him to understand your nerves

If possible get familiar with the car as soon as you can. If you are collecting from the airport that may help because the roads in the airport can be quite quiet. I can't remember where you are staying but if it is in the Kissimmee area take the southern way out of the airport which will take you along the 417. It's a good TOLL road but have some money ready if you haven't got a sun pass etc

Take your time. If you get to a built up area and start getting flustered try and find somewhere to pull over.

If possible try and avoid driving at night (when dark) until you are comfortable with the car and driving in general.

You are driving a left hand drive car on the right hand side of the road. The only junctions I had problem with were left turns because your are used to doing an immediate left rather than having to take the lane furthest from you. Draw it on a piece of paper and it will make sense.

Remember that unless a sign tells you otherwise you can turn right on a red traffic light. If you are allowed to do this and you forget the sound of horns may remind you!

Automatic cars: Remember that to take it out of park you need to have your foot on the brake (I think)

Take your time! Oh I said that already

Roundabouts: I don't seem to remember there being many but if you do come across one remember they are the other way around - you go around anti clockwise.

And take your time...good luck and enjoy! You aren't the first and you won't be the last to do this for the first time!

Let us know how you get on!
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Orkali
Earning More Ears

All good advice above, I used YouTube to gather some tips, search for some routes say MCO to Disney, put yourself in the driving seat and watch the surroundings lights etc and see if you make the same decisions as the actual driver, certainly gave me more confidence...
Old Key West~2016
Orkali is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread