Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Mar 16, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Didn't think you got stop start technology on automatics.?
Answer is yes, but I've deleted as apparently this is all irrelevant and unhelpful.

Edited at 02:01 PM.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Mobile

In 25 trips we have never had a car with stop start. I think it may just be in Europe that it is becoming common.
As for driving an auto we have both changed our cars to auto!
Old 19 Mar 16, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The harder you press the accelerator the faster you go as the gears change themselves! Trying that with a manual will just bounce off the rev limiter in First gear . And slowing down the harder you push the brake the more you encourage engine braking with the automatic changing down by itself. That is what I was trying to simply convey, no gears to worry about...but I missed the mark I see
I get you now although I drive an automatic at home and didn't get what you were trying to say first time round! I thought you were over-simplifying. I see your point now that you just need to press the accelerator to go faster without worrying about changing up gears.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
Yes you do, we have it on our Auto Tiguan. You need to keep your foot on the brake for it to work though, which makes the "Auto hold" function of the EPB a bit redundant (auto hold prevents forward creep in an auto rather than the rollback it prevents in a manual, since autos don't rollback in Drive!)

Yes that what I have in my autoToyota, but my engine doesn't stop. You can't start my Auto in gear even with the brake engaged either. Perhaps yours is different as I assume yours has the DSG gearbox which is more like an automated manual box rather than a full auto. I'd much prefer your system if it is the DSG

I'm a bit confused now as the auto would roll back if the engine was off?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I get you now although I drive an automatic at home and didn't get what you were trying to say first time round! I thought you were over-simplifying. I see your point now that you just need to press the accelerator to go faster without worrying about changing up gears.
Cool and I totally see what you mean about my first post
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 80skid View Post
I have posted regarding this in the past but I still cant get rid of thos feeling in the pit of my stomch.

Our 2nd week we are staying offsite so I have booked a hire car, my husband doesnt drive so this will be down to me. The closer we get the more I am panicking that something will happen, I am not the most confident driver over here and have never driven an automatic before. What if I get confused about what side of the road to drive on 😐 this is a serious worry I am actually dreafing our 2nd week because of the driving.

Has anyone else felt like this and its been fine?

Kim x
Hi Kim
I was exactly the same as you. I'd never driven before on any of our previous visits as dh is happy to do so but our last visit I had decided I would do the drive from the airport to the villa. I was absolutely ******* myself but once I was out in the road it was fine. It is a bit daunting to begin with and I had the worries of 'am I driving in the right side of the road' but the roads a nice and wide and there's enough traffic so you know which side you should be on 😉 You will be fine and when in doubt just take your time and try not to worry about the other cars in the road. Just focus on what you're doing and you'll get used to it very quickly. 😀
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Yes that what I have in my autoToyota, but my engine doesn't stop. You can't start my Auto in gear even with the brake engaged either. Perhaps yours is different as I assume yours has the DSG gearbox which is more like an automated manual box rather than a full auto. I'd much prefer your system if it is the DSG

I'm a bit confused now as the auto would roll back if the engine was off?
Sorry for not being clear (you can't start any auto in gear) but I can't answer further than that as apparently it's irrelevant and confusing. Just don't want you to think I'm being rude in my lack of response to your question.

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
80skid
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Off2Florida2016 View Post
If all else fails get some practice in by driving on the right here.

fingers crossed this wont be necessary!
80skid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
80skid
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Orkali View Post
All good advice above, I used YouTube to gather some tips, search for some routes say MCO to Disney, put yourself in the driving seat and watch the surroundings lights etc and see if you make the same decisions as the actual driver, certainly gave me more confidence...
thank you I will try this

Kim x
80skid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

I had auto stop in my last car (an automatic Honda) - the dealer said it wasn't a popular feature in the US- the model I had was made for the US and had a green flashing 'autostop' light apparently to reassure drivers the car hasn't stalled!
I don't have it in my auto Paceman- but don't really miss it.
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread