Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Apr 16, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

We're in Berkshire, just under two hours from Gatwick. This'll be the first night flight home from Orlando that we've done. We've done an overnight to Heathrow, which is only 40 mins away. My husband is planning on sleeping for as much of the flight as he can, and hopefully it won't be a problem. He works on call a lot so is more adept than I am at driving on broken sleep and taking the necessary precautions.
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 16, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

We are absolutely dreading it. We live a few miles from lands end. It will be us and 3 children all aged 6 and under. I am hoping to take as much responsibility as possible for the kids on the flight back leaving DH to sleep. Hopefully I will get a couple of hours in the car before taking over the drive home. That is the hope anyway. We have plenty of friends along the way who we may have to call in on if the plan is a no go.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 16, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Last year we flew indirect which saved us a huge amount of money, only drawback was we flew from Manchester, just under a four hour drive from home, fine going out as we stayed overnight in the premier inn, coming home we knew it was going to be a killer but hey ho. DH is the driver and it didn't phase him at all, we stopped off at services to get some breakfast and a coffee, I kept awake to make sure he kept awake and it wasn't as daunting as we thought it would be .
This year we are in luck, our indirect leaves from Heathrow, under an hours drive away
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 16, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

It takes 40 minutes on a good day for us to get to Manchester Airport. We have never driven home, early days one of his brothers or his Dad would take us and collect us. Now it's a taxi. We cannot sleep on a plane so get in the taxi, sleep for 40 minutes then straight to bed for a couple of hours. I always wonder what the official view would be if you were in an accident after being up all day and night then driving.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 16, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mousemad
Imagineer

mousemad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
The thought of a lovely Lemon Top waiting for me would keep me awake... Come on Boro!

G (A Redcar Lad)
Pacittos is still on Redcar highstreet!
'18 Madeira beach*'17 Vero beach*'16 40th wedding trip*'15 Siesta Key,Barefoot*'14 Lilli&Joe 1st trip*'13 Cruise,Ft L'dale & AMI*'12 Barefoot,AMI*'11 12go2c Harry*'11 DH B'day Cruise*'10 Barefoot*09 Ft L'dale,Kissimmee*07 Big50,Orlando,Cruise*07 Barefoot*06 Kissimmee*05 Orlando*02 San Diego,Vegas,LA*99 San Diego,Vegas,LA*93 Kissimmee,Clearwater*90 Orlando*81, Ft L'dale,KeyWest,Orlando
mousemad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 16, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Scott family
Apprentice Imagineer

Scott family's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It takes us about 45 minutes from Manchester airport, but neither of us can sleep on the plane, so we would not have slept for about 20 hours, for this reason we would not drive, so get a taxi back home. We have both fell asleep in the taxi home before now.
Old 19 Apr 16, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

We, if flying from Gatwick stay down the night before, as too many chances if the journey going wrong on the day, better to get there than watch the plane take off whilst stuck on the M25.

We live in the Midlands and the first tine we flew to Forida we did it in economy, a bad move for me as I got no sleep on the way back, so trying to drive and keep alert was not good. Since then, always fly business as I am refreshed for the two hour motorway journey back home.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

I arrive into Manchester at 14.55 then I have a 2 hour drive to Cumbria. I am hoping to have a nap at Dublin Airport, If anyone hears a snoring woman on the 4th of September I apologize in advance
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyGoLucky
Imagineer

Takes me about 4hrs to drive home from gatwick after a flight as I have to stop a few times.
I am the only driver
Old 20 Apr 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

We have always got the bus from South Wales. It's direct and although it takes a little longer than driving as its always just me and DD now 14 I thinks it's safer than trying to drive. Plus I hardly ever manage to sleep on the plane so knowing I can sleep on the bus is fine and if not we both have iPads, phones and a good book to keep us busy.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread