Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Sep 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MikeC1964 View Post
Can someone please remind me why I tried to do all of this in the first place?!
Like me you did it to get free upgrades, and bypass the desk at the airport and go straight to your car

I had to give AVIS my frequent flyer no, which I took to be my exec membership number?!? Could that be our problem I now wonder?!?

The app just spits out similar errors for me too.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Why are people trying to use an app? What does it actually gain you? (Other than pain and aggro by the looks of it.)
I went for the app in the hope it might help me link my online account and preferred membership as someone said it would.

As another incentive I was also told the app can be used to see your bookings and at some point show your actual car. Not a type of car, but the actual car you'll be driving off in?!?
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Like me you did it to get free upgrades, and bypass the desk at the airport and go straight to your car

I had to give AVIS my frequent flyer no, which I took to be my exec membership number?!? Could that be our problem I now wonder?!?

The app just spits out similar errors for me too.
takes a while to qualify for free upgrades, don't need the app to go straight to the garage.

I went for the app in the hope it might help me link my online account and preferred membership as someone said it would.

As another incentive I was also told the app can be used to see your bookings and at some point show your actual car. Not a type of car, but the actual car you'll be driving off in?!?
Don't know about linking account and preferred, didn't matter to us, not using it regularly enough to build tier points etc.

actual car thing... ok, that didn't matter to us. Would have thought that might be very variable depending on what condition a car was returned in, unless they only tell you an hour or 2 before. Turnaround was very quick at Easter when we went - wouldn't have wanted to have to wait if there was a delay in getting a particular car ready.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Two minutes on that 0808 number and he linked my account for me, lot easier than me spending 30 minutes on the computer getting absolutely nowehere
Old 15 Sep 16, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by youre-nicked View Post
Two minutes on that 0808 number and he linked my account for me, lot easier than me spending 30 minutes on the computer getting absolutely nowehere
I just emailed, with my preferred number...within seconds my hire was on the app.

they confirmed also, it shows a fee to pay, but the BA vouchers covers it.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
takes a while to qualify for free upgrades, don't need the app to go straight to the garage.

Don't know about linking account and preferred, didn't matter to us, not using it regularly enough to build tier points etc.

actual car thing... ok, that didn't matter to us. Would have thought that might be very variable depending on what condition a car was returned in, unless they only tell you an hour or 2 before. Turnaround was very quick at Easter when we went - wouldn't have wanted to have to wait if there was a delay in getting a particular car ready.
Bypassing the desk is a good thing, but you might want to query the car. For example if you want a Mustang and they give you a Camaro. Maybe that can be sorted at the garage, but I'm not sure.

Also need to understand how this all works with the 2nd driver.

Agreed that app isn't needed, but as I said someone here claimed they used it to do the linking that is proving difficult.
Old 15 Sep 16, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by youre-nicked View Post
Except when I called the number they couldn't do it In fact they struggled to understand the problem. Once they did, they said IT have to resolve it and would get back to me in 14 days or less.

The problem has nothing to do with the app. That's a separate issue.
Old 15 Sep 16, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Bypassing the desk is a good thing, but you might want to query the car. For example if you want a Mustang and they give you a Camaro. Maybe that can be sorted at the garage, but I'm not sure.

Also need to understand how this all works with the 2nd driver.

Agreed that app isn't needed, but as I said someone here claimed they used it to do the linking that is proving difficult.
I thought that if it was your first time with Avis you had to go to the desk in the garage regardless?
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I thought that if it was your first time with Avis you had to go to the desk in the garage regardless?
Having not done the preferred thing I cannot say what the process is. I've been told you just go directly to the car where the keys will be.

I've never gone to the desk in the garage before, only the desk in the airport. Actually that's a lie. I once rented a convertible and I couldn't work out how the roof came down... garage helped
Old 15 Sep 16, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

You go to the garage - IF they need to take a credit card number or anything else is needed, then next to your name on the board it will say "go to booth" where you will get dealt with quickly and told which bay your car is in. If not, then the bay will be on the board next to your name. If the car is not suitable, you go to the booth and ask for an alternative in the same "class".
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread