Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I will always fly with the cheapest! This year weve decided it needs to be direct though, we think we'd rather miss the hassle and pay the extra. There is only two of us though... if we had a family it may be different as it mounts up! We will most likely be flying virgin as from Manchester we have no other options!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunshine74
First POST

Mobile

We travel with virgin for the seats, luggage no hidden extras & once onboard all refreshments, snacks even ice lollies are included in the flight so not out of pocket every time the cart goes round or I want a 🍷. Saves a lot especially with kids
Sunshine74 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

In the past we booked a Thomas Cook Signature package with Virgin Atlantic flights. For the first time we have just booked a Virgin Holiday package for next year. They were more expensive but we were ok with the price. Now it is booked I will not be tempted to keep checking prices.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

I would never fly virgin even if they were the cheapest always find them substandard
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Picklepuppy View Post
I would never fly virgin even if they were the cheapest always find them substandard
A bit harsh, maybe, but then I do not know your experience.

I only travel coach and that would not change if I won the lottery.. exit row maybe, but that is it. It’s a tin tube where we all breathe the same, fetid air.

Whilst I don’t rate being dumped by the 450 load into MCO immigration in their ancient B747s and certainly don’t rate them as being in any way superior to their rivals (only want single drink on a plane, don't want endless announcements, not bothered about the occasional bag of pretzels, don’t like the slimy schmaltzy ‘party like a rockstar rubbish and most certainly would never pay a premium of even a penny)... On other routes to Newark, SFO, LAX etc, I have found them very different in approach, quality of aircraft (B787) etc. Those flights were pleasurable!

To me, it is down to price and price alone. Where I can get good prices for them on some routes, they now come out extortionate on the Florida runs during School Holidays. When I have flown Virgin Atl recently, it has always been on a Delta ticket in any case. I seem to get better deals there.. and as I said, not on the MCO run. .

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:03 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unicorn13x View Post
We were booked with TC loved them for August but with them gone we have rebooked with Virgin. At £1946 more that TC I hope they are good.
Did you book a package or just flights with TC? You should be able to claim consequential losses and the difference in price between your flights under section 75. There’s a discussion about it in the Thomas Cook section 😊
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by emmafleur View Post
Did you book a package or just flights with TC? You should be able to claim consequential losses and the difference in price between your flights under section 75. There’s a discussion about it in the Thomas Cook section 😊
I wasn't affected by the TC crash, but that was very kind of you to offer up that info for others, thank you Emma
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
A bit harsh, maybe, but then I do not know your experience.

I only travel coach and that would not change if I won the lottery.. exit row maybe, but that is it. It’s a tin tube where we all breathe the same, fetid air.

Whilst I don’t rate being dumped by the 450 load into MCO immigration in their ancient B747s and certainly don’t rate them as being in any way superior to their rivals (only want single drink on a plane, don't want endless announcements, not bothered about the occasional bag of pretzels, don’t like the slimy schmaltzy ‘party like a rockstar rubbish and most certainly would never pay a premium of even a penny)... On other routes to Newark, SFO, LAX etc, I have found them very different in approach, quality of aircraft (B787) etc. Those flights were pleasurable!

To me, it is down to price and price alone. Where I can get good prices for them on some routes, they now come out extortionate on the Florida runs during School Holidays. When I have flown Virgin Atl recently, it has always been on a Delta ticket in any case. I seem to get better deals there.. and as I said, not on the MCO run. .
Hi CFB, I envy you being able to travel coach, my body gave up being shoe horned into 17.5" in 2011 following a flight that saw me needing intensive treatment from my physio brother. I had significant pain and we came close to no longer flying altogether, until we tried VA PE and appreciated their larger seat/space. Luckily we travel off-peak and generally pay similar for VA PE as others pay for peak economy. It used to be about price, but once we discovered a larger seat with more width and being comfy price wasn't too much of an issue.

It's good to read your attitude towards flying, long may it work for you
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi CFB, I envy you being able to travel coach, my body gave up being shoe horned into 17.5" in 2011 following a flight that saw me needing intensive treatment from my physio brother. I had significant pain and we came close to no longer flying altogether, until we tried VA PE and appreciated their larger seat/space. Luckily we travel off-peak and generally pay similar for VA PE as others pay for peak economy. It used to be about price, but once we discovered a larger seat with more width and being comfy price wasn't too much of an issue.

It's good to read your attitude towards flying, long may it work for you
I am ok with the 17.5. My problem lies in the fact that I am 6’ and my 17 yr old son 6’3”. We can manage with a 31 inch pitch, but it certainly isn’t fun, hence our liking of exit row seats. I just resent paying for them, although for our recent Norwegian Flights, exit row was just £25pp for London-Boston and Miami-London.

I think my resentment at being gouged comes from many years of RAF travel, often courtesy of a jump seat in a C130 Hercules.. or lying on the canvas roof of a Landrover! If I could save money, I would happily travel in the hold of an airliner. Clearly Coach class is not possible for some and for various reasons. We are fortunate that we can tolerate it.

P.S. We also travel hand luggage only as we like multi centres and frequently have internal flights. With Norwegian, we even had a £3.99 WH Smith Meal deal in preference to the £25 garbage served up by the airline and washed down by around 50ml of plonk in a plastic cup. The guy next to me offered to swap.. and I smugly refused as I demolished my BLT Sandwish, 500ml Orange juice and crisps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:45 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Trasky196
Getting to know the DIBB

The last few times we've been we've flown with BA, found them cheaper every time, no difference between them and Virgin in my opinion.
Trasky196 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List