Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 May 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
hbmip_disney
Gone all Goofy

hbmip_disney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Questioning my ADR choices- help!

We go to disneyworld for the first time in August (a family of 5, with DD14, DD12 and DS9) and I booked ADRs 180 days out. However, after doing more reasearch, I’m now questioning whether the choice I made are the right ones. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to keep/change. Our current reservations are as follows:

Crystal Palace lunch (not changing this)
Coral reef dinner
Planet Hollywood dinner (read something today about it being awful, thoughts?)
Tusker house dinner with ROL package
Garden grill dinner
Chef Mickey’s dinner (not sure about this but we don’t know which park we are doing yet on that day but would probably be MK I suspect)
50s Prime time dinner
Be our guest lunch
Skipper canteen dinner
Cinderella’s royal table dinner (want to do this but not sure if should spend 2 credits on it or do a different restaurant and also have an Ohana breakfast. We need to watch fireworks at MK on this night so does anyone know and restaurants/places with a good view that you don’t have to hold for hours)
Maria and Enzo’s dinner
Mama Melrose’s dinner with fantasmic package
1900 park fare dinner
Via Napoli dinner

One of the girls is a vegetarian but I THINK these restaurants would be suitable. Also if we do cancel CRT then which table service breakfasts would you reccomend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Edited at 08:45 AM.
hbmip_disney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

I always find this happens to me too, and I’m a seasoned trip planner.

I make my ADRs and then spend 6 months deliberating whether they’re right ones.

I think you’ve got a good list there. You will always find bad reviews for places and I think that unless they are resoundingly bad, then you should go and make your own mind up.

Planet Hollywood isn’t really for me..but that’s not to say it’s not good. The only one from your list I would really say is poor is Chef Mickey. It’s noisy, chaotic, the food is not great and the character interaction is the worst we had. The only adr I will consider for CM is a 7/730am breakfast before the rush starts.
As a comparison dinner at 1900 Park Fare is awesome both for food and characters.
Plus you’ve got Tusker house and garden grill in there too...very similar characters.
The Wave at Contemporary is great as an alternative.

There aren’t really any restaurants in MK from which you can view the fireworks. You need to be outside so you can see the castle projections. California Grill at Contemporary has a viewing platform which provides a great view of the fireworks, but limited view of the projections. It’s a great meal too, but 2 credits.

CRT and BOG are very sought after ADRs so I’d be very certain before you cancel either of these. You’re unlikely to get them back.

Also, just remember you can cancel whilst there...we often do that, and find that great ADRs are able to be hand the day before as lots of others realise their plans need to change.

Have a fab holiday
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post

I don’t think there is any such thing as the right choices. I am sure you have looked at menus and determined what would suit your group. I think your list looks pretty “normal”, in the sense that it includes places that dibbers seem to regularly go to.

I don’t think there is any MK restaurant that is good for viewing the fireworks. We are not too bothered about fireworks, but have been in the park when they are on and manage to catch a good enough view without trying. But if you want a preferred view then maybe consider a dessert party with VIP viewing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma-p
Excited about Disney

I am Vegetarian, loved planet Hollywood, Tusker house (rivers of light package) We didn’t like Crystal Palace! Think it’s because Tusker house has better choice! Mama Melrose is great! So many to choose from isn’t there 🙈
Emma-p is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rosemck
Getting Excited

Mobile

Have you looked to the Disney food blog for any advice? It helped me a tonne on our first ever trip way back years ago and definitely felt like I'd made the right choices based on their recommendations, they also have a YouTube channel which is great, lots of posts on where are must eats and where to avoid. I would agree and skip planet Hollywood there are definitely better quality food options at Disney springs, I like wolf gang puck, the boat house, Chef art smiths (I'd also avoid the rainforest cafe and t rex the theming is fun but the food is nothing special at all). All the restaurants will cater for vegetarians, if you don't see anything suitable on the menu your server will be more than happy to discuss more options with you.

For a few other ideas I'd recommed these...

Sanaa or boma at animal kingdom lodge (sanaa would be my first choice)
Artist point snow white character meal at wilderness lodge
Ohana dinner
Teppan Edo in Epcot
Liberty tree tavern magic Kingdom
Hoop Dee doo (food is fine but the show is great fun, 2 credits)
Sci-Fi dine in theatre is also a fun experience

Also it's certainly worth researching the QS restaurants too some of them are doing great food, satuli canteen, polite pig and blaze pizza are all excellent.

I hope you have a great first trip to wdw, very exciting!
Rosemck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

It's hard to say, and you can cancel them when your there, we had loads booked last trip so only booking a few this time, but only 2 adults so a bit more felixble.
We loved planet Hollywood on our last trip we always go as we had our wedding reception there so tradition but its much better imo
Tusker House was fab, and loved BOG for the atmosphere.

Again check out DFB on you tube some fantastic info

The spirit of Aloha at the Polly is another dinner show but the food was lovely and show is really worth seeing if you get the chance
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

If you want to swap Chef Mickeys for another character meal then try 1900 Park Fayre for breakfast. Another breakfast recommendation for Boma, we love it there, inc the cook to order omelette station!
Other fav restaurants are Yak n Yeti, Teppan Edo and 50s Prime Time Diner.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think for a first visit you’ve chosen really well. You’ve got some good experiences and a some consistently solid performers there and a good spread of characters to you’re not queuing for them in the parks. I know a lot of people plan around their ADRs. My approach is a bit different. I plan our park days and down days first. I then fit ADRs in around this. I also do swap stuff when we get there if it suits us. You need to cancel meals 24 hours in advance or you are charged a $10 no show. Personally I’d keep Cinderella’s Royal Table. It’s a great experience to be in the castle. I think the food at dinner is better than breakfast by quite a long distance. Teens will probably enjoy Planet Hollywood. It’s not fine dining but I don’t think it’s bad. Regarding your veggie. If there’s nothing on the menu they want don’t be afraid to ask your server if they have alternative options. They are very accommodating and will often offer you something different. Favourites are personal if course. Mine is Yak and Yeti. Ohana (dinner) is another highly popular choice (take stretchy pants! ). For quality of food and highly entertaining character interaction go to 1900 Park Fare at dinner. Best buffet on property IMO and the Ugly Sisters are hysterical. Unless you’re desperate to see the Fab Five then I’d swap Chef Mickey for this.
Old 31 May 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
hbmip_disney
Gone all Goofy

hbmip_disney's Reviews
Yes, we did the same and decided on parkland rest days first before fitting ADRs into them. We already have a 1900 Park Fare dinner so can't swap chat mickey's out for that and I think that we will keep CRT. Is 'Ohana dinner any good for veggies? Not sure we will be able to do it even so in place of Chef Mickey's as there are no reservations at the moment.
hbmip_disney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
hbmip_disney
Gone all Goofy

hbmip_disney's Reviews
Yes, I've been using the DFB to plan our trip! We have blaze pizza and sat'uli canteen planned in, and I will have a look at the Polite Pig based on your recommendation. Thank you!