Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Aug 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneysocks
Proud to wear my Ears

Heathrow to Gatwick Transfer Worry

Hi dibbers

I will be booking my July 2020 flights within the next few weeks and am worried about the transfer times between Heathrow and Gatwick.

I have 2 flight arrival options for Heathrow - 06 05 am or 09.00 am.
The Gatwick departures are 11:15am or 13:25pm.

My dilemma is that when I looked on the National express but timetable is says the journey is 3h 5 mins.

Is this really how long the transfer takes? I wasn't expecting to add an extra 3 hours of travelling onto the journey as it will be an exhausting day anyway.

Has anyone found a quicker alternative?

We are travelling from Newcastle if that helps and we're hoping for cheapish flights in the BA sale but may need to reconsider
Disneysocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tsoski
slightly serious Dibber

How many people are traveling as we just did a private hire transfer (2017) for 2A + 1C and the price difference was only ~£20 and it takes about half the time?
Tsoski is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

were using batransfers @ £62
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneysocks
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Tsoski View Post
How many people are traveling as we just did a private hire transfer (2017) for 2A + 1C and the price difference was only ~£20 and it takes about half the time?
Oops forgot to say it is 5 adults, 5 suitcases.
Disneysocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
paddyaubs
Earning More Ears

That journey should only be about an hour (depends on which terminal) on the National Express.
paddyaubs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

We've booked Twelve Transfers for ours as they worked out cheaper than National Express for us.

Given the unpredictability of traffic though, we are actually flying down to Heathrow the night before so there's no rush. Making my flights a package by adding a night at the Hilton at Gatwick and adding car hire actually brought the price of my flights down and meant I could just pay a deposit initially.

We have five hours between flights on the way home. I'm not really fussed about any delays in getting home, but really don't want to miss any holiday time on the way out!

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

On the way out I would fly down the night before. Just look at last weeks chaos.

On the way back. I think we had 5 hours between and it was plenty of time but we weren’t hanging around. It’s about an hour in a taxi but you have to factor baggage claim. Immigration. Finding taxi. Traffic. Check in. Security etc etc.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneysocks
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
On the way out I would fly down the night before. Just look at last weeks chaos.

On the way back. I think we had 5 hours between and it was plenty of time but we weren’t hanging around. It’s about an hour in a taxi but you have to factor baggage claim. Immigration. Finding taxi. Traffic. Check in. Security etc etc.
I was in last weeks chaos, but thankfully only returning home ( from a Memphis holiday) not leaving to go on holiday.

I will have a play with the BA site and see if I can add a flight the night before, didn't think of that as it didn't come up as an option!

I did think the transfer was only 1-1.5 hours but national express are saying 3 h 05 mins so don't know what's up with that.
Old 12 Aug 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Disneysocks View Post
I was in last weeks chaos, but thankfully only returning home ( from a Memphis holiday) not leaving to go on holiday.

I will have a play with the BA site and see if I can add a flight the night before, didn't think of that as it didn't come up as an option!

I did think the transfer was only 1-1.5 hours but national express are saying 3 h 05 mins so don't know what's up with that.
If you use the "Multi City" option on the BA website it will give you the option of flying the previous night.
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We are doing this route in couple of weeks, our flight from MAN lands at LHR at 8.10 and our flight for Gatwick is at 13.25. We have booked the National Express to transfer between the two airports and journey time for the the direct bus is meant be just under an hour. We also looked at private transfers but the National Express was cheapest for us, even factoring in the additional Change & Go Fee which will to allow us to get on different coach if we are earlier or later than planned.

My biggest worry right now is that BA cancel our flight from Manchester to Heathrow but don’t tell us until we are in Manchester (we are travelling from our home to Manchester the night before) as this will result in us having to find our way from Manchester to Gatwick. I spent the weekend pulling together a Plan B which I hope we don’t need. If they let us know in advance, happy days, we get direct flights for cost of indirect and it’s a straight forward enough journey from where we live to Gatwick (2.5hrs even factoring in M25!)

However, I’m not too worried about being able to make the connection from LHR to Gatwick with 5 odd hours to play with, I know people that have done it with less. It will have to be a catastrophic event for that to happen and if it does, our travel insurance will cover it (which I’ve also triple checked!)
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List