Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

40% of UK electricity is now renewable- mainly wind farm. That has to be a lot better than burning fossil fuel. I reckon in 10 years we will be almost 100% renewable for electricity.
Yes the lithium ion etc causes pollution on mining, but even with fossil fuel powered electricity, the electric car has been assessed as giving out half the emissions of a petrol car, in very credible studies, this is over lifespan including manufacture.
However, it's unlikely many Tesla batteries will end up in landfill- they are too valuable for rare metals etc even when spent (and no one has degraded one much yet, cars in US with 250k miles on have degraded 10% ish) and Tesla will also fit them in their powerwall systems which they sell, which have solar panels and basically store up electricity for your house.

Edited at 09:21 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
They will be crying loudly about this, I'm not saying it's right being violent but I didn't feel particularly sorry for him on top of train dragged off... Images I saw he stuck the boot in too
Oh yes expect lots of whinging and "outrage".
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

they have a right to peaceful/lawfull protest but disrupting public transport in the name of climate change (delicious irony indeed) does nothing for the cause & only makes them look selfish... police would have stood about negotiating with them so 10 points the punters who climbed up and manhandled them down.. (reports they got a bit of a kicking was maybe a tad too far)

see also doing yoga in the middle of westminster bridge

utter morons..
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
40% of UK electricity is now renewable- mainly wind farm. That has to be a lot better than burning fossil fuel. I reckon in 10 years we will be almost 100% renewable for electricity.
Yes the lithium ion etc causes pollution on mining, but even with fossil fuel powered electricity, the electric car has been assessed as giving out half the emissions of a petrol car, in very credible studies.
However, it's unlikely many Tesla batteries will end up in landfill- they are too valuable for rare metals etc even when spent (and no one has degraded one much yet, cars in US with 250k miles on have degraded 10% ish) and Tesla will also fit them in their powerwall systems which they sell, which have solar panels and basically store up electricity for your house.
still 60% is fossil based if we had all electric cars/buses etc etc etc we would apparntly need x3 the supply... doubt that can be achieved from wind farms
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
still 60% is fossil based if we had all electric cars/buses etc etc etc we would apparntly need x3 the supply... doubt that can be achieved from wind farms
The rate of adaptation of renewables is much faster already than anyone ever envisaged. Just the other day I was reading it's now thought major reliance on fossil fuel will end much earlier than anticipated, less than a decade ago. The wind farms in particular have become very efficient. Supply will meet demand. They'll just build more.
Who should be worried? The Saudis etc, their days of making massive sums off oil will shortly be numbered.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have been surprised just how many windmills and solar farms there are around the country. I know, I know, I should get out more!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s bad enough commuting into London day in day out on crowded trains, and spending a fortune on fares.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I agree with the public removing them if that's what it takes but I can't say I am happy about them being "beaten up".
Easily avoided... don't climb on top of rail carriages endangering others safety (as well as their own).

An unfortunate incident, I agree and not necessarily the answer but I did see the 'protesters' lashing out with their feet too.

Lets be honest if that behaviour had taken place in some other countries the police would have waded in batons raging and ask questions later.

These morons can go and stand in a field and protest for as long as they want and let us get on with our lives.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The rate of adaptation of renewables is much faster already than anyone ever envisaged. Just the other day I was reading it's now thought major reliance on fossil fuel will end much earlier than anticipated, less than a decade ago. The wind farms in particular have become very efficient. Supply will meet demand. They'll just build more.
Who should be worried? The Saudis etc, their days of making massive sums off oil will shortly be numbered.
the money shot
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Lets be honest if that behaviour had taken place in some other countries the police would have waded in batons raging and ask questions later.
Fortunately we live in the U.K. - policing by consent.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List