Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
what are these BLOC dayrooms. never heard of them.

is it this

daybreakhotels/GB/en...Direct+Traffic
Yes it is those, The BLOC is an actual Hotel in the South Terminal , designed for short term stays.
I have found specifically with the BLOC you sometimes get a better price ringing them direct.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Back in about 2004 I went to Orlando from Gatwick & left my car in my sisters apartment garage in Docklands. On arrival back home she collected me from Victoria (after Gatwick Express) and have me a proper breakfast & let me shower + change at her apartment. I then drove home to the Midlands and almost fell asleep behind the wheel on the M1. Thankfully this was just before a services so off the M1 straight away for a brief snooze & coffee.

I had flown home in Economy on the the above occasion, so had very little sleep. Even if I fly home in Upper Class (which is normally the case now) & get a halfway decent few hours sleep I will not drive home after an Eastbound TATL flight. It's time so smile at parents / friends / the train to get me home from the airport - which does mean I can safely have a drink or two with my evening meal on the plane.

As to stopping at Motorway Services - they only have to provide 2hrs free parking by law. Exceed that and expect a penalty charge of at least £100.

Definitely very sound advice to book a hotel room somewhere for a few hours sleep, shower + coffee at minimum. I know Premier Inn check-in is normally 2pm but if you contact them in advance and let them know you want the room for day use they can normally fit you in (it helps them to know that the room will be available for the housekeepers first thing in the morning when they start as you left the previous day).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

I have booked a PI room for the night before we fly back. Arriving 8am and check out 12, gives us a good 3 hrs nap before a 2hr drive home. We may even ask for late check out. For the sake of £64 it isn’t worth dying on the drive home...
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
I have booked a PI room for the night before we fly back. Arriving 8am and check out 12, gives us a good 3 hrs nap before a 2hr drive home. We may even ask for late check out. For the sake of £64 it isn’t worth dying on the drive home...
thats an idea for the pi we arrive back at 6:35am so would gives around 5 hours sleep

may book the same hotel an the departure leg so I can let them know my intentions
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
We do the same, but book 2 nights - the night we fly back and the night we land. Usually find it on a saver rate so costs about £70 for 2 nights and means that we can rest as long as we like before heading home. Sometimes we even stay the night and go fully refreshed the following day

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Suprising how much the jet lag and lack of sleep sets you out of kilter
2017 All Stars Movies
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
what are these BLOC dayrooms. never heard of them.

is it this

daybreakhotels/GB/en...Direct+Traffic
If you go direct to the BLOC hotles website blochotels.com and put in your arrival and leaving dates as the same day you can book a room from 7AM till 4 or 5 PM, I did a dummy booking for my dates and is was @£30
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

We live in Kent but right on the edge so 3 hours to Heathrow last time had flight from LA drove back to a mates house in Ashford left DD there went to Tesco’s and on to home and stayed up til midnight and was fine. Other times I have been like a zombie funny dint know why
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I head for Fleet services on the M3 and have an hour and some caffeine.
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a short-ish drive home from Gatwick, should take just over an hour. If I get delayed through traffic on the M25 I soon start to feel tired - really ‘sickly’ tired.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List