Notices

Old 17 Jan 11, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
jubileegirl
Serious Dibber

The trip!

For years we have been saving up for our retirement trip. You know, that holiday old people take when life is drawing to a close, something sedate and decorous. In fact something that was light years away for a ‘young couple’ like us

So how come overnight we've turned into two nearly sixty year olds both going grey, one going bald, lots of wobbly bits, a tendency to say ‘pardon?’ a lot... and suddenly no longer working ie RETIRED!

I wouldn’t say we had nothing to do as we’re both really busy but we no longer have set timetables or working hours to stick to which means that we have been able to think about THE TRIP!

Holidays for the past 20 years have been family based, beach or theme park focussed – so we’ve been to many holiday spots in Spain, Greece, Turkey, France... and a few visits to Florida. Now the kids are independent and we can plan a bit selfishly. What would we REALLY like to do?

So this is the plan.

We are very different but both love music and as children of the ‘50’s we can remember the early days of rock & roll. We love blues, soul, jazz and country so really there was no arguing – we just had to visit the USA and explore the roots of the music we grew up listening to and which in many ways defines our lives, even though I grew up in the UK and John was born in the Australian bush!
Music truly does link our lives. We often hear a song from the ‘60’s and remember what we were each doing on opposite sides of the world.

So... we plan to fly to Nashville in September, travel via Memphis and the Delta down to New Orleans, then train back to Memphis, pick up a car and spend 10 days or so in the Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains before driving back to Nashville and then home.
I know it’s very early, still months to wait, but we've spent this week booking everything so it's all very fresh and exciting in my mind at the moment. I don't want to wish my life away and plan to have a great few months from now until September but this pretrip report will be fun to read every now and then, especially on a grey and rainy day!

Travelling on this adventure will be me, AKA Alison, already given the age away, retired teacher, now work for church mainly with students... and husband John, age also already known, retired policeman, lover of me (I hope) our 3 children and a big red motorbike.

Our exact schedule is
Nashville - 1 night

Sweet Magnolia Tours 'Music & Heritage of the Deep South'
sweetmagnoliatours/P_...Group_Tour.php
9 nights

New Orleans - 4 extra nights

Train 'City of New Orleans' from N.O. to Memphis

Memphis - 2 more nights

Pick up hire car

Lynchburg, Tennessee - 1 night

Mountain cabin in Coker Creek (foothills of Smoky Mts) - 5 nights

B&B 'Riverdance' in Hot Springs, North Carolina, - 5 nights

Nashville - 1 night

Home

We are staying in all kinds of accommodation, ranging from big chain hotels in city centres to one offs (Heartbreak Hotel at Graceland!) to bed and breakfasts in mountain and rural communities and a log cabin in the middle of nowhere.

We hope to laugh a lot, dance a lot, eat a lot, drive a lot, relax a lot, probably get on each other's nerves a lot... and have a ball.

I have lots of ideas for things to do but will save them for another day!
jubileegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 11, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
riverdancefan
Imagineer

riverdancefan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
it sounds fantastic - really appeals to me !
and I love the sound of your B and B - of course I would given the name !
will be looking forward to hearing more !
riverdancefan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 11, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

This sounds wonderful and exciting. I've visited new Orleans and North (+ South) Carolina, you're going to have a blast. Looking forward to reading lots more. Happy planning.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 11, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
jubileegirl
Serious Dibber

Hi riverdancefan!

Hope it's OK to post links but this is Riverdance (without Mr F! )
brlnc/RiverDance/index.html

Thanks for posting!

love Alison
jubileegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 11, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jubileegirl
Serious Dibber

Where did you stay in North Carolina, bella9 - and any tips for things to see and do there or in New Orleans?
Old 17 Jan 11, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List