Link to this Post

Relaxing week in Portugal not a chance

Who’s going:
Me – Mel – still just 39
DH- Des – still 44 but not for long
DS1 – Doug – turns 14 on our last day in Portugal
DS2 – Charlie – 12 but soon 13
DD3 – Megan – 8 & incredibly excited

Ok, we haven’t been on holiday since Dec 2008 & last year had to cancel our Oct trip to the mouse mainly due to DS1 health. We have booked to see the mouse for this Oct 11 but during Feb this year started thinking that a week’s holiday would be fab, well that was me thinking, just needed DH to think it was his idea.

Within a few days DH was looking at flights to Spain or Portugal, whilst I had already found some brill holidays on the web. Originally we were thinking of going during the bank holiday weekends as I don’t have a lot of leave this year left to take but DS1 has his birthday on the 20th & DD1 has her birthday on 24th of April we couldn’t do it.

So with dates shifted to 13/04/11 we began looking and found a holiday package with easyjet, 2 bedroom apartment with flights for a week for £800 for 2 adults & 3 kids, it was booked straight away. Car hire I sorted & got a Seat Ibiza (or equivalent) for £113 incl insurance etc. DS1 was quite happy to celebrate his birthday on our last day in Portugal & DD1 was happy that we would be back for her 19th birthday.

Now its year end at work and I have just booked a week away slap bang in the middle of it, took me 2 days to build up courage to submit my annual leave form & don’t know what I was worried about must have been a good day.

Passports checked, Charlie’s has expired so off goes the application for a new one which is back within a week, time to relax and wait till we go on holiday...

Flight times! Did either DH or I check what time the return flight comes back? NO is the answer. We don’t land till 01.30am so that means we won’t be home till about 03.30am and both have to go to work in the morning, argh! Think it’s going to be a short working day.

Now I mentioned DD3 been excited, we head off to buy large holdalls as we are not taking checked bags (not paying the extra) and Megan decides she is clothes shopping for the holiday so we exit the store minus the holdalls and £70 light and then it starts

Tell everybody I’m on my way
New friends and new places to see
With blue skies ahead, yes I’m on my way
And theres nowhere else I’d rather be

The song from Brother bear, all day every day.

For the title of this trip report, it is supposed to be relaxing, just beach, food etc but I couldn’t help myself and so I have been surfing the web looking for things to do & places to go & keep hearing this nagging sound from DH relaxing not Disney style

The itinerary for our week looks like this according to DH

13/04/11 – fly from Gatwick 08.00 – arrive Faro approx 10.30, about 40 min drive and we should be in Albuferia, unpack and find the nearest coffee shop that sells Pasta de nata as DH has been going on about them from his previous trip with friends.

And that’s it. No other planning has been done but I have found a local market, several beaches, a couple of drives north I would like to do where there are scenic views as well as visiting Faro & Portimao and sampling as much Portuguese cuisine possible.

Im sure we can manage with just 2 relaxing days
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 11, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Have a lovely time. We went to Portugal at this time last year and it was beautiful. Wishing we were there now!
Old 10 Apr 11, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Have a great time - try and drive to Lagos - stunning scenery!
Old 10 Apr 11, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List