Notices

Old 11 Feb 08, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Pre-trippie - So well in advance for New York!

My friend Barbara and I go away every year to Europe in November to see the Christmas markets. I have put a couple of the trip reports on here.
Just before we went last year, we jokingly said wouldn't it be fun to do New York next year!
Well, when we got back from Copenhagen the dream suddenly became a reality.
We set up a joint bank account and started putting a standing order in each month to get our spending money and I was checking out flights and hotels like mad.
I mentioned on another thread that we needed seperate rooms as Barbara is a very heavy smoker so an extra problem trying to find a reasonable hotel when it is for a single person.

Once we decided on the dates - 20th November for 5 nights we sorted out the flights, using our airmiles and getting a direct flight from Manchester to JFK.
The hotel was a bit restrictive due to the smoking as most do not allow smoking but we found a cheap and cheerful one called the Milford Plaza, I have read mixed reviews on this but so long as our room is clean I don't really mind and it is in an excellent location right near Times Square.

Then we had to plan what we wanted to do while we were there. As we would only ever go the once we wanted to say to heck with the budget and do exactly what we wanted so here is our first itinerary

Thursday - flight leave Manchester at 10am and arrives 12.45. I would imagine arriving at the hotel around 3pm so we would have a stroll round Times Square and find a restaurant for a meal then probably have an early night!

Friday - We have already bought the 2 day hop on hop off bus pass and plan to stop off and go up the Empire State Building, stop off at Ground Zero as well as doing the three loop trips. After a meal we plan to do the night loop which is a non stop trip.

Saturday
- Still using the bus as transport we plan to do a helicopter trip (not sure which one yet) go up the Rockefeller building and anything else that takes our fancy, then in the evening we are going to see a show on Broadway (not sure which one)

Sunday
- our easiest day I think. We plan to do the 3 hour harbour cruise and maybe the tram ride to Statton island..

Monday
- this is our big day - we keep the best till last. We have booked a day trip to Niagara Falls. They pick us up from our hotel any time between 4am and 8am depending on the amount of people on the trip and the flights, then they fly us up to Buffalo where a coach takes us to both sides of the falls. We have a lunch overlooking the falls and get to go down the underwater tunnels then back in the evening. We are both so excited about this one.

Tuesday
- Sadly time to go home. We are hoping to have the morning last minute shopping then we have booked a car with carmelimo to take us back to the airport (have it booked to take us to hotel from airport as well) at 2pm and then our flight home.

Even though it is so far away and I have two trips to Florida in the middle we are both so excited about this trip.
Is there anything else that we can fit into our itinerary! As we will never go again (DH just doesn't fancy it at all) I want to make sure I see everything that I need to.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 08, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
That sounds like a really great trip you have planned Jean. I'm sure you'll think of some additions over the coming months!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 08, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
looks like a fab trip..will you still be there for thanksgiving? after seeing macy's parade at universal studios this year it would be fantastic to see it in real life in new york. happy planning!
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 08, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
All i can say at the moment, is PACK YOUR THERMALS, you need them on the bus tours at that time of year.
Can i sugest a trip to Centry 21 whilst at GZ, if you want clothes then thats the place to be.
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 08, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Also to do the rock trip as close to dusk as possible and allow time up there for the darkness to fall, seeing the lights come on around the island its amazing.
Tell your DH to go, it is one amazing city, i am not a city type in the UK, but this place is fantastic
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 08, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Thanks Gaz, was wondering about Century 21 - I am sure we can hop on and off there on our bus trip!
We always like the open air trips - we did a boat trip in copenhagen this year and all the sensible people sat inside but the two of us braved the cold and sat outside. We were a pair of frozen idiots but we had a great time!
Thanks for the tip about the rock.

Will work on DH when he sees all the photos on our return!

Myra, we considered going during Thanksgiving but decided the prices are a bit higher and although we would love to see the parade, we would lose a days sightseeing - We come back 2 days before the parade so may see some of the preparations.

jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Sounds a great trip. We have only been to NYC once, and stayed quite near the Milford Plaza so I can tell you the location is great. Particularly for us as we're musicals geeks. So great being able to go and see a show every night, and walk home in 10 minutes afterwards!

Do try and eat at John's Pizza - I think it's near Phantom of the Opera (yes, I navigate by shows!) Inexpensive and really lovely pizza.

For a special meal, we went to Thalia on 8th Avenue (I think around 48th St? Can't remember.) It'll be near your hotel. Great seafood - Peter had a 'raw bar' ie oysters, scallops etc.

Oh, I so miss NYC. Think I left a little bit of my heart there.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Hi Jean looks good, there is so much to do and see. plus quite a few walking tours, also I'm sure you'd enjoy this pub mcsorleysnewyork/
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Baggie Bird
Imagineer

Jean, reading your pre-trippie has really wetted my appetite for New York. Like you me and my parents are going for 5 days but in June this year.

I have started to do a little planning as like you we want to see as much as possible.

I see you haven't mentioned the Statute of Liberty, we plan on catching the Staten Island Ferry to see her.

We have also requested a Big Apple Greeter but we won't know if we have been successful until nearer our departure date.

We also plan on doing a Harlem walking tour. We have booked to see Gypsey on Broadway and also booked a table at an Italian restaurant called Ciro.

I have been before, but way before 9/11, but it is the first time for my parents. My Mom has always wanted to go to see the "tall buildings"

It has been very interesting and informative reading other Dibbers trip reports and recommendations on what to see and do whilst in New York and we are all looking forward to going.

1999 Villa Davenport Lakes, 2001 Villa Windsor Palms
2003 with friends in LBV 2005/2006, 2007 Villa Southern Dunes, 2008 Villa Greater Groves, 2009 Bally's Vegas Villa - Hampton Lakes, 2010 Blue Heron Beach Resort, 2011 Dibb Townhouse Regal Palms 2015 Heron Villa High Grove
Baggie Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
We hope to see the Statue of Liberty on our various trips ie the hop on hop off trip where if we got time we might go on the free ferry plus the boat trip and the helicopter trip!

Steve - Fancy leading me astray with the pubs - you know I don't drink!