Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Apr 06, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Orlando - Miami by train

We are travelling to orlando next September and we are going to visit Miami and probably stop overnight. I thought it might be nice to go by train to Miami rather than DH having to drive(i'm a non driver), plus he's a bit of a spotter as he works for the railways.
So, how easy is the US train system?
How far are the stations from the main parts of orlando/Miami?
Is it easy to get about in Miami without a car?

And any other advice appreciated

Thanks

2016 - Orlando - Town Center Villa
2017 - Rotonda West, Gulf Coast
2017 Nov - New York
2018 - Bradenton, Gulf Coast
2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 06, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Octal
Imagineer

You could try Amtrak

I've never tried that route, but a few years ago we travelled from Oakland in California to Merced to catch a bus to Yosemite park. Those American trains are unbelievably fast! I'd didn't realise till I was actually on one, I think it must be their size, we plonked ourselves on the upper deck, great fun
Old 10 Apr 06, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post

I came back on sunday, and we drove to miami, it was so easy, the route was just straight all the way, it took us 3hr 40 minutes, sorry I cant help with what the train journey would be like, we stayed at the best western thunderbird which was on the beach, I booked it through air line network, it cost £120 to two nights, the rooms had everything in it. We did enjoy our stay, tell your husband to drive, and then take the train (it looked like a monorail through the town centre) he will see quite alot then. Good luck

toni
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 06, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
It's not a bad drive at all. Just make sure you don't get caught speeding. Unlike, errrrrrm, a "friend" of mine...

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 06, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post

The Amtrak station in Orlando is on John Young Parkway, i think the train station in Miami is somewhere downtown. Personally i wouldn't recommend the train from Orlando to Miami, it's quite pricey, takes just as long as going by coach (6 hours), and can be quite unreliable. We were planning on getting the train from Orlando to Miami a few years ago, got to the Amtrak station, it was delayed by at least 2 hours, so we ended up getting a refund, hiring a car instead and driving down to Miami. There's not really anything to gain by going by train IMO, hire a car, get onto the Florida Turnpike and you'll be there within 3.5 hours, it takes twice this time by train.

South Beach is relatively easy to get around by foot and/or bus. This is the predominately tourist part of Miami, there isn't really much downtown. Also check out Bal Harbour for high end shopping, people watching.
Old 10 Apr 06, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Bit spooky this as I was looking at this very journey on the Amtrak website just last week, I gave it up as a bad idea because the journey time was horrendous, More than seven hours if I recall correctly. the fare was about $32 per person.
Old 11 Apr 06, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks for the replies guys. I think we've given up on the idea now. $182 for 2 adults and 1 child lus over 7 hrs to get there!

2017 Nov - New York
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 06, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post

If you do really want to visit Miami, and really don't want to drive, then you could always get the Greyhound - greyhound , it's about 6 hours from Orlando with one 30 minute rest stop. The cost is approx $70 per adult for a round-trip.
Old 12 Apr 06, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Just a quick note for my 2 cents... The train would be fun but it sounds expensive from the posts above... The coach service on Greyhound is bound to have a few "characters" and I dont mean the kind at Disney. Greyhound is notorious for running late and it's used by many a dodgy fellow... not like coach service in Europe... especially the UK which I've used many times.

I'd say drive and take I-95 instead of the turnpike. (most of the drive you can see the turnpike running parallel to Interstate 95 and vise versa) this will save you some cash as the turnpike is a toll road.

I made the drive from south beach to downtown Orlando on Sunday in 3hrs 15min. It's really a pleasant drive, even if there are accidents they are generally cleared quickly.

Have fun in Miami and bring your spanish dictionary!

Jason
Old 12 Apr 06, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks for that I think we'll be driving

2017 Nov - New York
Closed Thread