Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 4 Jul 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I watched an hour, I have never seen it before or heard the music. The music is very good. It flows if that is the right word, very well. My wife didn’t like it but my daughter did. I was however very unimpressed with it just all being set in one room- I’d have thought given the ticket prices it was going to be some amazing spectacle of a set.

Do I think it was massively overhyped, yes. But I have enjoyed it so far, and it’s different.

Edited at 08:10 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Loved it! Turned tv up loud and allowed myself to get drawn in.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Loved it! Turned tv up loud and allowed myself to get drawn in.
So did we! I’m surprised nobody came knocking 😬
We waited until 7:30 to watch to really get into the spirit 😆

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I watched an hour, I have never seen it before or heard the music. The music is very good. It flows if that is the right word, very well. My wife didn’t like it but my daughter did. I was however very unimpressed with it just all being set in one room- I’d have thought given the ticket prices it was going to be some amazing spectacle of a set.

Do I think it was massively overhyped, yes. But I have enjoyed it so far, and it’s different.
It wasnt set in one the room! The lighting and revolving stage were used to create the different scenes! Theres one scene where lighting was used to create 2 different rooms to great effect. A show can still be amazing without a fancy set! The choreography was amazing at times!
We loved it dd and I watched the first half on the morning then rewatched it later with DH!
We loved Jonathon Gruff as King George, his facial expressions were amazing (ignoring the amount of spit he created! )
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
It wasnt set in one the room! The lighting and revolving stage were used to create the different scenes! Theres one scene where lighting was used to create 2 different rooms to great effect. A show can still be amazing without a fancy set! The choreography was amazing at times!
We loved it dd and I watched the first half on the morning then rewatched it later with DH!
We loved Jonathon Gruff as King George, his facial expressions were amazing (ignoring the amount of spit he created! )
I maybe haven’t got to that bit yet- 1 hour in and only one set. As I say I liked it, but it is overhyped.

I agree the King George role was great, wasn’t sure if he was meant to be dribbling or that was an unfortunate side effect!

My daughter is very much into drama, dancing and singing and has some good experience (I would say that I’m her dad), has taken a lead role in a stage production selling out a 500 seat theatre multiple nights, been in a ton of plays and dance shows and has just hopefully got A** in her drama GCSE (on the old school grading scale I understand). I say this simply as I listen to her as she knows her stuff. She thinks it’s very good, like I do, but it’s definitely hyped.

I’d like to see a film version made.

The music is undoubtedly the best thing about it. I had never heard it before (was holding off as intended to see it in the West End) but straight away I loved the music.
Old 4 Jul 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I maybe haven’t got to that bit yet- 1 hour in and only one set. As I say I liked it, but it is overhyped.

I agree the King George role was great, wasn’t sure if he was meant to be dribbling or that was an unfortunate side effect!

My daughter is very much into drama, dancing and singing and has some good experience (I would say that I’m her dad), has taken a lead role in a stage production selling out a 500 seat theatre multiple nights, been in a ton of plays and dance shows and has just hopefully got A** in her drama GCSE (on the old school grading scale I understand). I say this simply as I listen to her as she knows her stuff. She thinks it’s very good, like I do, but it’s definitely hyped.

I’d like to see a film version made.

The music is undoubtedly the best thing about it. I had never heard it before (was holding off as intended to see it in the West End) but straight away I loved the music.
I get you, not sure why it was so hyped up. We have actually enjoyed some of the lesser hyped ones better!
I agree, we said a film would be amazing!
We said the same about the dribbling. He couldn't just wipe it away with his sleeve could he?!😆😆
Dd has just done drama GCSE as well and hoping to carry on for alevel!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Seeing it live is obviously way better as you can see all the staging rather than just what the film crew were focusing on, and you are fully immersed in the music and action - I’d definitely recommend going to see it live if you get the chance.

We saw Ash Hunter as Hamilton and I agree with the previous comment, he was fab.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

So, I’m a fan of musicals. I also have a masters in economic history. My husband doesn’t like musicals and isn’t a fan of history. 90 seconds in, “is this based on anything in particular”. I needed the interval..
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like this show. Took my granddaughter last year to see it as she is Hamilton mad, I was bored to death ,actually fell asleep at one point 😂

I started to listen to the music and turned it off
We are watching it at the moment and I tend to agree with you. It is well acted and has a fast pace which the actors do well to execute though but not my cup of tea.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Not my cup of tea, watched the king singing and dribbling and dd started gagging and we turned it off!