Leyfy
Imagineer

"Où est la bière?" - DLP Feb 2019

Welcome to another pre-trip report!

This time for Disneyland Paris. This is us:

Kim and Phil. Phil likes to do this:

I like to do this:

(Take lots of photos!)

You can find a link to our previous trips together in my signature at the bottom of this post.

We have been to Florida together seven times and love everything about the Sunshine State (including trips down to Naples, Fort Lauderdale and Key West as well as everything Orlando has to offer). I also love Disneyland Paris and have been probably about 11 times? The majority of these have been school trips that I've organised (Including one in April *just* after Brexit - yay ...! ) but Phil has NEVER been!

For the first time since I think I first started teaching in 2004, february half term *finally* falls a week later than usual and so it's my birthday during that week! What better than spending your birthday in Disney?! So we decided to price up a couple of days at DLP to coincide with that. My first thought was that we could stay at The Kyriad on the Disney bus loop, which I've stayed in a couple of times before. I tentatively booked that on Expedia, and then thought I'd book the Ferry and tickets separately.

In the meantime, I had a deal come through from Disneyland Paris offering a package with the meal plan included, staying on site at The Cheyenne and included a ferry crossing and four day park tickets. This was about £250 more than I had costed up booking The Kyriad but...

1)The meal plan will save us money
2) The tickets I'd initially looked at were 2 day ones - this means we can go into the park the day we arrive and the day we leave and see the fireworks on our first evening (weather permitting)
3) We get to stay on-site.

Staying on site was a the deal-breaker for me as, despite my many trips, I've not stayed on site at Disneyland Paris! Plus, of course, you get the extra magic hours!

So I cancelled the Expedia booking for the Kyriad (luckily I had chosen the option that meant we could cancel with no fee) and booked the Disney package instead.

So here's the plan so far:

Thurs 21st Feb

9.50am crossing to Disneyland Paris. I'm then driving us down to DLP in my new car - dubbed the Toyota Tiny Thing! It's a Toyota Aygo, I recently downsized from a Yaris as I barely do any miles anymore.

We'll check in and head over to the parks. Our plan is to see the fireworks if the weather is good, if it's not we'll probably just try and get something to eat. Phil fancies the buffet at Billy Bobs, so that'll be the choice there. Or if we are in the park one of the restaurants in Fantasyland does a fantastic chicken and chips in a basket, so that'll be the choice (or a Jedi burger!)

Friday 22nd Feb

My birthday! Plan is to hit Hollywood Studios first to go on Crush's Coaster during extra magic morning hours. Then it'll be a full day of theme park madness, including introducing Phil to the 'old' paper fastpass system! When we went on our first trip to WDW in 2013 we were one of the first to try Magic Bands at POFQ, which means Phil has never used the previous system.

We have an evening reservation at 5.45pm at Captain Jack's, which is my favourite restaurant in Disneyland Paris. If we are out in time we will stay and watch the fireworks.

Saturday 23rd Feb

More theme park madness will happen today! We will try and catch the Season of the Force show at Hollywood studios if we didn't see on the thursday, or the main fireworks if we haven't caught those yet (depending on the weather)

Sunday 24th Feb

We have a crossing booked for 2pm, so we can use the EMH if we need to to catch anything we haven't done so far.

So, that's the plan! A lot of it is weather dependent, so please cross your fingers for good weather! It'll also be really interesting to see what a first-timer thinks of Disneyland Paris. I think a lot of the rides (Space Mountain/BTM etc) are actually better at Disneyland Paris and I love the park itself. However, when you are used to WDW and we usually go in August when it is boiling hot, I am hoping Phil will still appreciate the park

So, let the countdown begin...
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Your plan sounds great! I'm also a little worried about the weather; although we've done 3 previous February half term trips which weren't too bad so I'm hoping our luck continues.
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HappyPanda View Post
Your plan sounds great! I'm also a little worried about the weather; although we've done 3 previous February half term trips which weren't too bad so I'm hoping our luck continues.
I'm hoping your luck continues too!
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

So we are off on Thursday!

The weather looks pretty good:

I was planning for the worst - rain/snow/cold etc so this is a total bonus!

We've booked Captain Jack's for my birthday on Friday, but apart from that we'll probably be taking in counter service options or maybe a buffet one evening, depending on our plans.

We're probably going to leave quite early on Thursday to get to Dover due to it being a work day and the Dartford Crossing will be quite busy. (Reminds me that I need to pay for the dart charge before we go!) Luckily my car has got a European satnav installed and I've managed to programme in our hotel already so that's ready to go. I also ordered one of the European car kits:

Fingers crossed on an easy run down from Calais to DLP on Thursday!
Old 19 Feb 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Wow, have a great time!

My tip - unless you want to pay 7 Euros to upgrade to the hotel breakfast (only worth it if you eat lots) you should go to New York Style Sandwiches in the Village for breakfast. Opens 8am and you can use your breakfast credit. You get a pastry, hot drink, juice and baguette (not a nasty hard roll as elsewhere) with butter and jam.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Wow, have a great time!

My tip - unless you want to pay 7 Euros to upgrade to the hotel breakfast (only worth it if you eat lots) you should go to New York Style Sandwiches in the Village for breakfast. Opens 8am and you can use your breakfast credit. You get a pastry, hot drink, juice and baguette (not a nasty hard roll as elsewhere) with butter and jam.
I second this. Certainly don't try and get breakfast in the Studios as you don't get as much and it is much busier. You will love the Cheyenne - the theming is superb. It is my favourite hotel at DLP.

Have a great time and a happy birthday!
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Have a great trip ! Look forward to reading all about it.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Mobile

We are on our way! Dibbing from the ferry!
Old 21 Feb 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Have a great time, looking forward to the report! Lots of Disney hugs your way.