Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 25 Jan 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Email account hacking attempt

Hi,
I haven’t a clue about tech stuff so hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.
A couple of weeks ago I ordered something from amazon, as you do. I noticed a few days later this when I was logging into my emails on my phone or iPad, that some had been opened. They weren’t any that were important. I thought that maybe I had clicked on them while waiting on them to load. I also , very briefly , seen 2 emails which I think came from an address something like amazon.de maybe. But they disappeared straight away.
I was a bit worried so removed all my old cards off amazon account and my 2 live ones and changed my password.
Then earlier this week my emails stopped loading onto my iPad and phone. I logged into my account via aol to find that someone had tried to change my password and had also tried to send 3 x emails to my entire address book. It was prevented and I changed my password and have just ,tonight, updated my account back onto my iPad.
But also today when I logged onto my Instagram, which I hardly use and have only posted once, it’s been changed as well. My photo has been changed to some random teenage boy! I’m really uneasy about this. I didn’t know how to fix this one so just deleted app from phone and iPad.
So , sorry about the length of this post, but is there anything else I should do.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer me in this.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post

What Internet Security are you using?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I haven’t a clue I know we don’t pay for anything extra. Husband has always said it comes with our accounts ( I think )
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
Hi,
I haven’t a clue about tech stuff so hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.
A couple of weeks ago I ordered something from amazon, as you do. I noticed a few days later this when I was logging into my emails on my phone or iPad, that some had been opened. They weren’t any that were important. I thought that maybe I had clicked on them while waiting on them to load. I also , very briefly , seen 2 emails which I think came from an address something like amazon.de maybe. But they disappeared straight away.
I was a bit worried so removed all my old cards off amazon account and my 2 live ones and changed my password.
Then earlier this week my emails stopped loading onto my iPad and phone. I logged into my account via aol to find that someone had tried to change my password and had also tried to send 3 x emails to my entire address book. It was prevented and I changed my password and have just ,tonight, updated my account back onto my iPad.
But also today when I logged onto my Instagram, which I hardly use and have only posted once, it’s been changed as well. My photo has been changed to some random teenage boy! I’m really uneasy about this. I didn’t know how to fix this one so just deleted app from phone and iPad.
So , sorry about the length of this post, but is there anything else I should do.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer me in this.

My Instagram, which I also don’t use, was also hacked by some weird looking man in Russia; I just hacked back into it and deleted the account. Saying that, it promoted me to check all my accounts and change all my passwords, upon checking AOL people from all over the world had been trying to log into the account. I’m glad I don’t use that account for anything important. All passwords have now been changed and updated.

We use bullguard.

Edited at 11:25 PM.
aladdin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aladdin View Post
My Instagram, which I also don’t use, was also hacked by some weird looking man in Russia; I just hacked back into it and deleted the account. Saying that, it promoted me to check all my accounts and change all my passwords, upon checking AOL people from all over the world had been trying to log into the account. I’m glad I don’t use that account for anything important. All passwords have now been changed and updated.

We use bullguard.
Thank you. Is there a safer company to use for emails? I’ve only ever had this one and use it for everything. Although my banking is done via app.
Old 25 Jan 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post

It sounds as if you've been hacked.

If you have Internet Security with your Bank Account it must be something decent.

Short of taking it into a local computer repair shop, I don't know what to suggest.

Try downloading the free version of Malwarebytes and see if that throws anything up.

malwarebytes/mwb-download/
Old 25 Jan 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post

I gave my AOL account six months ago after having it for over twenty years.

The reason I gave it up was it was taken over by a company called OATH and not many people had good things to say about it. I was locked out a couple of times and changed over to GMAIL.
Old 26 Jan 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone.