Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 10 Apr 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsCornwall
New Poster (3)

Mobile Absolute beginners - where to start?

Hi All,
I am at the very beginning of my search. Hoping to book for October 2020 for 2 adults and 2 children (10 and 8) probably for about 11 nights.
My question is where do I start and when is the best time to book?! Is there an order in which to research things? It all seems a little overwhelming at first.
My initial thoughts are that we might like to stay in a Disney or Universal hotel. How do I find the best deals and should I be thinking about things like dining and park tickets as at the outset, combining with accomodation deals?
Are there certain travel agents that are good to look at or am I better pricing things up independently?
All help very gratefully received.
MrsCornwall is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
When in October do you want to go ? Here are the dates and details for the 2020 offer
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1123044
You can price up travel agent or diy , it’s what you feel comfortable doing that matters as well as the price that fits your budget . Prices range considerably dependent on when you want to go , type of accommodation and so on . Are you prepared to fly indirect or on,y want direct . ? Lots of questions which everyone will help you with.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Welcome Mrs Cornwall. Bit of homework for you to do! I would say first look into all options then decide what would be best suited to your family. Staying on site will be very expensive. We prefer a villa holiday but again it's all personal choice. Also consider would you be prepared to fly Indirect as this will work out cheaper than direct. Lots of decisions! Keep asking qs on the planning forum. You will get lots of great advise!
Old 10 Apr 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsCornwall
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Hello and thank you both!
Lots of homework indeed - exciting.
I hadn't thought about indirect flights - something to consider.
We are looking at end of October (to fit in with half term). The flights don't seem to be out yet but you seem to be able to book packages on Virgin now. I wasn't sure how far ahead I ought to be looking.
The link to the offer didn't work for me but I can see that there is an offer section within the Dibb so I will look on there.
Villa is a thought too - I was thinking about a universal hotel for the early access pass to Harry Potter world but I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there so will step back and really consider all accomodation options. Good advice - thanks.
MrsCornwall is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Hello and welcome to The Dibb

Glad you have found us as there is no better site to help with planning .

It is very overwhelming for first timers I do agree

The first few times we went was with a Virgin package but since then we have found that it is cheaper to book independently. But occasionally a Dibber will insist that they have found a package cheaper or not much in it so they prefer to just go with that.

For DIY trips we've booked our Disney hotel first (either direct with Disney or last year we found Orlandoattractions cheaper and offering exactly the same deals as the Disney website.
To find Orlandoattractions and other Banner advertisers ( there adverts appear as banners at the top of Dibb pages and they are highly thought of by many people) here on The Dibb go to Forum Home and then under Dibb Advertisers sub forum Banner advertisers.
Orlandoattractions has a member called MrsOrlando.
Probably best to get a quote from multiple of these advertisers.

They also sell tickets for all the major parks so look on their websites for prices to compare too.

We then book flights when released at 11 months before.

The Dibb is very split as to whether an onsite stay or offsite is best and that will be totally up to you and what you consider best for your family and what you can afford !

We have stayed both off and onsite and if finances allow I would rather stay onsite and get the full Disney experience but the cost is obviously far more

Last year, for part of our trip, we stayed 4 nights at a Universal hotel for the first time and really thought it was great especially the early entry and if you stay at a Deluxe resort the free "fast pass" access to rides.

No doubt you are aware that The Star Wars are opens in Disney Studios in October this year and things will be very very busy because of this.

Free dining offer details have just been released for 2020 but unfortunately end at the beginning of October .
It really is a huge draw for many on The Dibb and influences decisions about whether to stay onsite or not.
Eating out is very expensive inside Disney and much cheaper outside with a multitude of dining places available close to other hotels and villas.
Dining at Disney's most popular table service restaurants need to be booked 180 days in advance to ensure a spot and Fast passes for Disney parks at 60 days before holiday starts for guest and 30 days for non guests.
Please do this otherwise you may end up like friends of ours who ignored our advice on this and then came back to say they couldn't get a booking at restaurants of choice or get on any of the popular rides as 2 hour queues !

Don't want to bamboozle you with too much info all in one go so I would advise tackling one aspect at a time and looking at that particular Forum on here and read, read,read !
The more time you spend planning the more you will get out of your holiday
I would never have known about half the tips and experiences available if not for being on The Dibb so I hope you enjoy your planning with us
Any questions just ask away in the relevant forum and someone will always know the answer and help.

Sorry to ramble ...
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsCornwall
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Goodevans thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply.
This really is incredibly helpful.
Interesting on all counts and will definitely give me food for thought.
I think I know where to start now and will explore the appropriate boards on this form in due course.
Many thanks again.
Old 15 May 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
simon
VIP Dibber

simon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Hello and welcome to the Dibb.
Enjoy your planning its a great big part of the Holiday.
Don't forget your ESTA.
Ask any questions there are loads of people only to willing to help.
simon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
arkv1lla
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 13
Mobile

Hi and welcome to the Dibb

Enjoy planning your trip 😊

Sandra
arkv1lla is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List