Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Apr 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MickyC
Serious Dibber

Driving from MCO to Southern Dunes

I’ve had a quick look tonight on Google maps for the route we need to take from MCO to our villa.

Does the 417 South & I4 West sound about right ?

Also can anyone advise on the tolls please? Given that we’ve just got off the plane we’ll probably only have notes so are the tolled manned and can give change ?

It says we will pass through 2 tolls on our journey 💵💵💵
MickyC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Your route is correct.
If I recall, there are 3 tolls on the 417 on the way to the I4. Each toll is something like $1.75. Keep right at the toll booths for the ones that are manned and give change.
You want to take the I4 to junction 55 then head south on Hwy 27.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
417 south out of MCO, leave at Osceola Bvd then I-4 west down to j55 and south on US27.

This is the first toll on 417 after leaving MCO. Paying cash or using Sunpass will generate a dozen or more opposite opinions on here .

If you want to pay cash just stay in the right hand lanes and give the attendant no more than a $20 bill and you'll get a handful of quarters. From memory this toll was $1.75. There's another manned one like it then you'll leave 417 through an unmanned toll on to the Osceola at j3. This is the one at j2 Celebration Avenue and the Osceola one is similar. $1.

You don't have to worry about getting change at the airport

This tells you all about Sunpass - click on "traveller information" then "rental vehicles". Alamo is the best scheme in my opinion.

sunpass/en/about/whereToUseSunPass.shtm

You'll find Southern Dunes on the left as you enter Haines City next to a Walmart.

Mick
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds about right. There will be manned tolls except ones where you leave the 417. Use a $10 note and ask for.loads of coins in the change at the first one.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Leave MCO by the south exit and take the 417 signposted Orlando and the Attractions
You will go through 3tolls you need nothing bigger than a $20 bill and keep to the right and use change given toll booth
Continue on the 417 following signs for I4 West and Tampa
Where you join the I4 can be a bit of a bottle neck and can take as long to get on to the I4 as it does to get to the junction
Continue on the I4 following signs for Haines City and Tampa the conjestion usually clears afte jct 58 should now be looking to cross in to the far right hand lane to exit at jct 55 Haines City this is a very deep right hand bend so slow down you follow US27 South
Continue on the 27 South for approximately 6 miles we’re you
Will see a Culvers Restaurant on your left continue through the traffic lights and get into the left hand lane at the next set of traffic lights turn left Walmart is on your Left Dollar tree on your right this is Southern Dunes Boulevard the security Gate is straight on
If you need any local info just ask we are down that end as well
Helen
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
robby-99
Very Serious Dibber

I'd go 528 to I4 the West to Tampa til the 27 Junction then south on 27. Only 1 toll on 528. Think its $2.50.
robby-99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MickyC
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all

I’m ok getting to Southern Dunes from J55 it was just the initial route leaving MCO via tolls 👍🏻👍🏻
MickyC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MickyC View Post
Thanks all

I’m ok getting to Southern Dunes from J55 it was just the initial route leaving MCO via tolls 👍🏻👍🏻
As a PP has suggested the 528 north then I-4 is a viable option but personally, having driven MCO to the Davenport area of US27 over 25 times I'll gladly pay another couple of toll dollars on 417 in exchange for maybe 10% of the Interstate traffic volumes.

It's all a personal choice though.

Mick