Notices

Old 12 Nov 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

It's Pints Kim, But Not As We Know It! NYC Feb 2018

New York!

So, who are we, if you've missed my previous trippies?! If you have missed them - where were you?!

We are: Kim and Phil - back from our 6th trip to WDW in August this year. I like to take photographs, lots and LOTS of them! Particularly in my favourite place:

Please feel free to add me on Instagram (my username is the same on here) to see lots and lots of photos of our trip!

Phil likes to do this:

The past two years we've been to WDW twice a year - both August and Christmas, but we were feeling the dollar rate a bit more and decided we couldn't justify a trip to WDW at Christmas. We've booked to go back to Florida in August but we are just doing the south of Florida (Naples, Key West and Fort Lauderdale) with a four night cruise with Carnival thrown in for good measure. After I realised we had flex tickets booked, I kept adjusting them trying to see if we could squeeze in an extra week in WDW, but the cost of tickets and accommodation just kept mounting.

Anyway, we both *loved* New York when we were there in April 2016 on our first visit together. I'd been in 2015 with a friend and knew Phil would love it as well!

I was idly browsing Expedia this morning when I came out with a bargainous trip for £500 each in half term! I mentioned it to Phil and it doesn't take much to persuade him, so I was soon filling in the details and booking our trip!

Flights

We are flying with United. Initially I was going to book the Virgin flights (which were the same cost) but the United flight leaves nearly four hours earlier and you don’t have to pay to book your seat! We’ve not flown United before, but as long as we get there on time I am happy! Our flight leaves at 12.35pm on the Sunday and we leave NY at 10pm on the Wednesday night.

Parking

I’ve booked ‘EasyParking’ at Heathrow and I will be driving us down to Heathrow in the morning.

Hotel

The first deal I saw was for the Holiday Inn in the financial district, which is where we stayed before. However, when I went back to Expedia it wasn’t offered so we are staying at The Watson hotel instead, which is near the Central Park/Hells Kitchen area of New York. To be honest, we are usually barely in the hotel, preferring to be out and about all day instead! Which brings me nicely onto ….

Plans

When we were in New York last time I really wanted to see a show but unfortunately, we were not able to fit that in. Phil has offered to pay towards my ticket for my birthday present (which is the week after) so we are probably going to see Wicked, if we can!

We are also planning on going to ‘The Top of the Rock’ as Phil hasn’t done this before.

When we went in April 2016 we did a food tour with the excellent Food Tours of New York. I was lucky enough to win free tickets for another tour in their monthly photography competition. This is the photo that won the tickets:

I have emailed and asked if we can go on the Chelsea Market tour - mainly because it's indoors and likely to be freezing in New York in February!

So, that's our plans so far! Next up I will be researching where to eat as we mainly ate in places in the financial district last time as that's where we were staying.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Looking forward to reading this trip! I've read all your Orlando trip reports and they are brilliant! My other half and I have just booked a trip to New York for November 2018 so I'm looking forward to getting some ideas and tips!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds fab Kim! Looking forward to this one 👈😁
Col&Ali is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading along... love NYC and want to go back soon

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
Looking forward to reading this trip! I've read all your Orlando trip reports and they are brilliant! My other half and I have just booked a trip to New York for November 2018 so I'm looking forward to getting some ideas and tips!
Thank you for your lovely comments

We love New York, you'll have a fab time!

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Sounds fab Kim! Looking forward to this one 👈😁
Lots of 👈 to come, no doubt!

Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Looking forward to reading along... love NYC and want to go back soon
Can't wait to go back, it's a great city, isn't it?!
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Update 26/11/2017

So, on the back of booking our trip I emailed Food Tours of New York. Being February and being that it will no doubt be FREEZING we decided to go for the Chelsea Market indoor tour. This involves:

"NYC’s indoor Food Market & the famous Highline – a park in the sky

Tour NYC’s urban (indoor) Chelsea Food Market. Become a market insider and experience the sights, sounds & flavors of this 119-year-old historic landmark building, which is the birthplace of the Oreo Cookie!

Learn the history of the Chelsea Market, view original artwork and obscure granite sculptures, and learn how the Market has become the ultimate indoor food paradise (while tasting your way through). Pop into the newest food hall contender, The Gansevoort Market, to try the latest culinary trend that is making mouths water all across NYC.

Step outside and stroll on “THE HIGHLINE,” NYC’s elevated outdoor park, for great views of the Hudson River. Wander through THE MEATPACKING DISTRICT – a trendy nightlife destination!"

I've done the highline before, but Phil hasn't so we might take a wander out there if it's not too cold! I emailed Food Tours of New York and said I'd won their photography competition so could I have my free tickets, pretty please?! I requested the Chelsea Market tour on Tuesday 13th Feb. Within 12 hours I had a booking confirmation - all sorted! Phew!

So, our rough itinerary looks like this:

Sunday - land and head to hotel
Monday - Maybe Central Park Zoo in the morning, Top of the Rock in the afternoon , dinner at Bar Bacon (possibly?)
Tuesday - Food tour 10 - 1. Times Square, late snack at Shake Shack and then see Wicked at 7pm
Wednesday - Late afternoon dinner at Bubba Gumps (tradition for us!)

That's it for now
Old 28 Dec 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Update 28/12/17

Well, I have cracked and decided to book a hotel for the night before in the Holidayextras sale! I got a refund on the parking and I've booked us a night in the Heathrow T5 Holiday Inn express. We get free breakfast as well as the parking. It kind of beats having to get up at 5am on travel day to get to the airport!
Old 10 Jan 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Ooh looking forward to this, I love your reports! Will be following this with great interest as we are heading to NY for 5 nights before flying down to Florida 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Ooh looking forward to this, I love your reports! Will be following this with great interest as we are heading to NY for 5 nights before flying down to Florida 😃
Thank you - that also gives me incentive to finish it! I find the Florida trippies really easy but not the ones to DLP or New York - will power through this one though
Old 13 Jan 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds great! If you're looking for Naples photos, have a look at my trippie, were here now!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List