Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 26 Dec 18, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Frozen to wait for ham (to be cooked nye) leftovers. Then turkey and ham pie!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post

I have goose leftovers, I am going to cook a small ham today and make goose, ham and leek pie.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Our turkey said best before 26/12 so the rest went into a curry which we had yesterday. Even though it would ‘probably’ be ok I won’t take any chances with poultry as it’s not worth the risk.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Our turkey said best before 26/12 so the rest went into a curry which we had yesterday. Even though it would ‘probably’ be ok I won’t take any chances with poultry as it’s not worth the risk.
I picked mine up from the butcher Christmas eve, so no best before date on it! I always think that best before on meat as a cook by date, so therefore the date is moved on a bit once cooked iyswim. Ive always kept mine wrapped in foil and refrigerated, and its been ok for however long its taken to eat after, the longest time being new years eve if memory serves. I give it a good look over and sniff to check first though! Feel sorry for those folks in the paper again thus year who went to cook their turkeys which they had from supermarkets and they were off and some going mouldy 😷 I have stopped buying poultry from supermarkets unless I intend to use that day or the day after as a few times even though allegedly very much in date, it has been rank upon opening 😕 Not much of our turkey left now, should all be used up by tomorrow lunch (sandwich for work)
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
That was for the raw bird. Once it's cooked you have a bit longer.

I would use it cold for next 2 days then in something cooked for 2 days.
We have gone silly with use by dates and take them far too literally. My dad is 77 and mum 82 and they def not careful with use bys but are never ill !
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post

We have gone silly with use by dates and take them far too literally. My dad is 77 and mum 82 and they def not careful with use bys but are never ill !
Indeed - how did we survive in the days before these dates. Oh yes - perfectly well.
These dates are about forcing us to buy more stuff and less to do with health. It is well documented the huge levels of food waste in the modern world. We chuck so much food out unnecessarily.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Indeed - how did we survive in the days before these dates. Oh yes - perfectly well.
These dates are about forcing us to buy more stuff and less to do with health. It is well documented the huge levels of food waste in the modern world. We chuck so much food out unnecessarily.
Agreed. I used to work in the food industry developing various products so have a good idea.
Its like all the condiment sauces everybody now keeps in the fridge , no need! My parents kept them years in the pantry 😆
Obviously some things do have a limit but my rule us if it looks ok and smells ok it probably won't kill you!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
a lot depends on the way the turkey was cooked and how long it spent out of the fridge after it was taken out of the oven, if the turkey was chilled and placed in the fridge within 90 minutes then i would be happy to use leftover for up to 72 hrs or 3 days

this year we had a turkey crown and on Christmas eve i boned it out and used one turkey breast wrapped in bacon and roasted as our Christmas dinner for three then we had a turkey sandwich and yesterday all the remaining leftover was used as cold cuts for tea so within 30 hrs all our cooked turkey was gone, with the uncooked meat in the freezer for use at the weekend

people have become obsessed with best before and use by dates i know somebody that will not eat anything that has reached its best before date but for me a decision is made based on the type of product and then it is look feel and smell rather than the best before date

now use by dates are a different kettle of fish and i would treat them with more caution but again i would not throw a product away just because it has reached its use by date and again looks touch and smell would be used to make a decision

i said in another thread that i bought some 30 month cavern aged cheddar for the Christmas cheese board and it has a two week shelf life and says once opened use within five days, so my cheese has sat in a cavern for two and a half years and when it arrives in my fridge it will be off in five days Really

Edited at 01:06 PM.
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post

Thanks for this. I never knew that it was for the raw bird, I always thought it would need to be eaten by that date. 👍🏻
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List