Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 27 Mar 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Packable Jackets, Stiff Bananas and Crossings to Africa! (Jan/Feb 2019) Day 6

Day 6- Wednesday 30th January 2019

We awoke at 6.45am, and had Applejacks cereal for breakfast. These were pretty tasty – like eating a dessert for breakfast. Well – we were on holiday! We had packed ready for our mini road trip to the Kennedy Space Center last night, so we were soon in the car and on our way.

As we had no active credit card linked to the car hire and therefore nowhere for the toll charges to be sent to, we did the old fashioned thing and paid in cash for all of the tolls. This was much easier than we thought, and getting change etc from the cashers was no problem. It was a very smooth journey and my navigating was much improved today if I do say so myself!

There was quite a long queue at the ticket booth, but we got to the front eventually and decided to do the ‘Explore Tour’. It was an extra charge, but thought it would give us a different perspective as we had been before. Our tour departed at 11am, so we got a hot chocolate and muffin. It was freezing today – below 10 degrees Celsius all day. I had about 4 layers on and I was still incredibly cold.

I had forgotten how wild the wildlife can be here – we were advanced upon by birds and squirrels who both had eyes for our muffins. They were nice but not worth mugging a human for.

We had a wander around the rocket garden and then headed to the bus station to start our tour. Curt was our tour guide, he was pretty entertaining and looked like a taller version of Johnny Galecki from the Big Bang Theory. His grandfather had been an engineer for a company who had worked on the construction of KSC, so he had lots of interesting stories to tell.

The tour took us out towards the coast, and we got to see dolphins and a bald eagle’s nest.

We also got incredibly close to the VAB and saw the doors were open! It was the SpaceX rocket that went up for a test flight a coupe of weeks after we got back. The VAB is enormous – pictures don’t do it justice.

I won’t say too much about the tour as I would urge you to take it yourself. Was it worth the extra $25 or so each? Yes definitely!
We were dropped off at the Apollo/Saturn V Center and had lunch there. Hot dogs and decaff coffee- cheap, cheerful and most importantly – warm!

We got the bus back over to the main complex and went into the Space Shuttle Atlantis building. Again – not saying too much as I don’t want to spoil it, but it is incredible. I felt a bit funny last time at the part where you have to look up – so I got a spot at the side leaning against the wall this time, which stopped any dizziness. We visited the shop next – looking for something for my niece. I got her a hot pink astronaut Babygro. It is super cute – apologies I totally forgot to take a picture. Dave was also looking for a replacement ‘Failure is not an option’ mug for work. We scoured every gift shop on the site but to no avail. We also got another fridge magnet to add to our collection.

One last port of call before we left was the new Heroes and Legends attraction. It was very good, but I wish there were seats for the show as it made me feel a bit wobbly. 3D attractions aren’t much my cup of tea. The pre show was excellent and brought a tear to my eye.

We were soon in the car and had another smooth drive back to POFQ. It felt just like driving on the motorway at home. We dropped our bag off in the room and got the boat to Disney Springs as we had a reservation at Homecomin’.

We checked in on time and were given the option of sitting outside. Ermmmmm nope – I don’t want to get frostbite thanks! We were given a buzzer and had to wait about 15 minutes before we were shown to our table.

First impressions – it was very dark inside, and very noisy. The manager came over to speak to us about my allergy – a simple swap of side orders had that resolved. I had the famous chicken and doughnuts with fries, and Dave had a Cuban Sandwich. They were nice but nothing to write home about – pretty average in all honesty. We both had Pecan Pie for dessert and that was delicious – I haven’t ever had one that nice before and doubt I will again. Our server also left a lot to be desired – she was indifferent and a bit cold – we did notice that all the younger servers were stood around chatting, whereas all of the more mature staff were constantly on the go. The server also asked me to give her my magic band so she could deduct our dining credits as they don’t have ipads etc to use, and need the code on the back of your magic band. Another nope moment from me. I accompanied her to the till – wasn’t letting that out of my sight. She took exception to this and was stroppy about it – but tough. I wouldn’t let someone walk off with a card of mine, and I don’t treat my magic band any differently.

We decided to get the bus back as we thought it would be warmer. There was an incredibly crude family behind us at the bus stop – the Dad was shouting and swearing at his teenage girls, and the mum was doing nothing to calm the situation down. The worst thing – he was mad because one of them needed the toilet. There was also some resort snobbery on the bus – Riverside guests complaining about having to share a bus with POFQ. Some people are never happy!

We had our usual evening cuppa and got into bed to thaw out!

Tomorrow – stiff bananas, a bad hair day and a change of plans…

STEPS: 10,859

Edited at 07:41 PM.
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Nice day at KSC

Joan
Old 27 Mar 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Nice day at KSC

Joan
Thank you!
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry you didn’t enjoy the food at homecomin, we’ve already had great food there.
Good trip to KSC though

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gwilspeed View Post
Sorry you didn’t enjoy the food at homecomin, we’ve already had great food there.
Good trip to KSC though

It wasn't awful, just wasn't great. Probably didn't help that I couldn't see it 😂😂 KSC was fab! Thanks for reading!
Old 27 Mar 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

The KSC trip sounds exciting, shame about your dinner though.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
The KSC trip sounds exciting, shame about your dinner though.
It wasn't the best! KSC was amazing though
Old 1 Apr 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Did you know that the Space Shuttle Atlantis is hung at an angle of 43.21 degrees? It would normally have been suspended at a 45 degree angle, but someone at KSC suggested they use a "countdown" angle instead - fascinating fact of the week for you!

(Really enjoying your trip report, by the way!)
Old 1 Apr 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Did you know that the Space Shuttle Atlantis is hung at an angle of 43.21 degrees? It would normally have been suspended at a 45 degree angle, but someone at KSC suggested they use a "countdown" angle instead - fascinating fact of the week for you!

(Really enjoying your trip report, by the way!)
I did not but that is an ace fact! Thanks for reading!
Old 15 Apr 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great trip to KSC - I loved it but not been for a few years so maybe due a revisit.

What is POR any better the POFQ? Some people...
margyloveswdw is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List