Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Apr 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
First, just thought I'd say that I've only once had a problem with Disney transport. Otherwise, I've not had a problem with it. I've never driven in Orlando and, for us, I never really see the need to drive whilst over there.

Having said that, if you are planning on making trips to the Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia, Premium outlets, Walmart, Target and park hopping to several ADRs around WDW then even I would recommend hiring a car.

Using Disney transport and Ubers is great if your travel plans are not too complicated (eg. you plan to go to a park in the morning and then return to your hotel in the afternoon with no stops inbetween). But if you plan to be going to a variety of different places every day then the waiting around for the next uber/bus is going to become a bit of a drag. Plus the cost of the ubers is going the mount up.

You can do it all using buses and ubers but, based on what you plan to do, I think hiring a car is the better option for you.

Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
However, 1) I don’t think we would always want to walk due to the heat, 2) the monorail is always breaking down
Having a car isn't going to help with walking from the Contemporary to MK. You'd have to park the car at the TTC and then get the monorail.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We're pondering the same. We've always been firmly in the 'must drive' camp but are planning to only have one for a few days mid hol this trip. First 5 nights are a hotel / cruise so we don't need one then, then onsite as usual when the car simply sits there for much of the hol - apart from a few days when we shop, visit other places etc. We never use it onsite. It's sort of a trial before resort parking comes in.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Having a car isn't going to help with walking from the Contemporary to MK. You'd have to park the car at the TTC and then get the monorail.
Fair point, I appreciate walking when going to MK is going to be lot quicker than parking at TTC and taking the monorail or boat across so I will give him that! I just was thinking of the times when we might not want to walk for whatever reason.

All things considered, I think I’m going to hold firm and insist we keep the car. Nothing I’ve read so far makes a compelling enough case for cancelling it and even he is admitting that uber is not as cheap as he thought it would be. I knew I was right! 😏
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

The only way I would consider not having a car would be if I were staying onsite nd the price saving was large. So much nicer to have the freedom.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

SSR to the Contemporary for dinner is pretty easy. We always get the bus if we eat there. We get a bus to MK and walk to the Contemporary so we can have a drink with our meal.

I would drive to other hotels for a meal as they are less easy to get to via bus.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
Fair point, I appreciate walking when going to MK is going to be lot quicker than parking at TTC and taking the monorail or boat across so I will give him that! I just was thinking of the times when we might not want to walk for whatever reason.
Well, you won’t be walking to anywhere else from the Contemporary.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

On our 2 two trips to Orlando we’ve been ‘mostly’ without a car. In 2017 we had a 2 day rental to drive to Clearwater and Tampa on one day and around the shops/malls on the second

Last summer we had a 3 day hire; drive to Legoland and do some more shopping/offsite stuff

As others have said you may lose flexibility but for us having a car the rest of the time would have just meant extra expense as we planned to stay on Disney property anyway

The first year we stayed on I arrive and used Uber and Lyft. With a discount codes for 2 of us we didn’t spend much at all and absolutely saved on the cost of hire, gas and parking
Old 16 Apr 19, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PIGLET38
Imagineer

We have always had a car and I love the flexibility of it, but as we are only doing Universal this year for 10 nights we have decided to just Uber instead. Weighing up the cost of the car hire, fuel and the parking at Hard Rock we have decided that it will be cheaper to just Uber. I’m hoping it will work out okay

1993 & 1994 Kissimmee*1999 ASM*2000 Lindfields*2006 Pop Century*2010 Windsor Hills, AKL & ASM*2012 Villa Greater Groves*2014 Cabana Bay/Disney Cruise*Apr2016 Villa Whispering Oaks*Aug2016 Highlands Reserve & RPR*Apr2018 CBR*July2018 HR Villa & Anna Maria*AUG2019 HRH*Dec 2022 Regal Oaks*Mar 2023 HR Villa*
PIGLET38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Brinko
Gone all Goofy

Personally I couldn't go somewhere as big as Florida and not have a car. Yeah, we may be sticking to the main Disney, Universal parks etc. But there are days we want to just "explore" and drive around, go to the beach and also go to the shopping malls etc.

In my opinion, getting an Uber everywhere just sounds like such an effort, an effort that a don't need on my holiday I hate waiting for public transport to show up, take longer routes and having to pay every single journey. At-least with a car it's basically "paid" for, yeah you need to get fuel but it really doesn't seem like much at the time.

Maybe my argument is biased because I love driving, and one thing i'm extremely excited for is picking up my rental from Alamo!

Although, I think if your decision was purely "money oriented" (not saying you are) it would be much easier on the bank account to just drive and give yourself that little more spending money.
Brinko is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Brinko View Post
Although, I think if your decision was purely "money oriented" (not saying you are) it would be much easier on the bank account to just drive and give yourself that little more spending money.
It depends on your holiday though. For many it is far cheaper to not have a car when rental, parking etc is included if your holiday is based around the parks

The argument is basically cost v flexibility and that’s down to each group