Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizz
Getting Excited

Mobile Pros and cons of using Miami airport

So flying into Miami seems a lot cheaper than Tampa or Orlando.
My question is, is it worth the savings? Google says it’s approx a 4hr drive which seems a bit of a faff but then money saved is quite a bit.
We’re looking initially to do a few days in Tampa then onto Orlando.
Any thoughts/experiences.

If it helps I’ve bern looking at fly drive with BA.
Wizz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I guess it depends on the savings?

Personally I absolutely hate Miami airport and unless the saving was huge, I wouldn't consider it. But everyone is different.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Check out Fort Lauderdale as well - FLL and don’t be afraid to mix and match. Into one airport and then home from another.

Regards

Gary
Old 20 Apr 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

There is no answer to this as it depends so much on your budget and your attitude towards saving.

For me (and only me), then with 4 of us I would only want around £75pp to tip the balance.. or even nothing. I would then look at planning and spending 3 days going up the gulf coast with a couple of nights at Naples,Venice and similar before a night close to Busch Gardens before doing the park at rope drop and moving on to Orlando later in the day. I particularly like this area and would visit it anyway. This method saves me taking several return journeys. On the way back to Miami, you could visit KSC and then stay a night on the Atlantic coast. All of the above means that you do not have to book so many nights in Orlando. It also mean that you may actually minimise your driving miles by cutting out return journeys. For me, the perfect options would be in to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and out of MCO (or vice versa).

Of course your holiday objectives may be very different to mine...

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:38 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I agree with this.
If your holiday is all about Orlando and you aren't bothered about seeing South Florida it's a bit off a faff especially coming home.
On the other hand if you use it as a gateway it can be great.
We are flying into MCO this week but flying home from Miami as we are spending time at Vero Beach after Orlando. I'm not sure I'd want a four hour drive directly before an eight hour flight... or a four hour drive directly after a nine hour flight personally. We'd always build in an. Overnight. Others do it and don't mind though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I agree with this.
If your holiday is all about Orlando and you aren't bothered about seeing South Florida it's a bit off a faff especially coming home.
On the other hand if you use it as a gateway it can be great.
We are flying into MCO this week but flying home from Miami as we are spending time at Vero Beach after Orlando. I'm not sure I'd want a four hour drive directly before an eight hour flight... or a four hour drive directly after a nine hour flight personally. We'd always build in an. Overnight. Others do it and don't mind though.

We are similar in that we fly in to Orlando (after 9 days elsewhere in the US) and then depart from Miami. On our penultimate day, we are driving down to Naples real early and having the day at Delmar Wiggins state park before having a night in a Naples hotel. Next morning it is along the Tamiami towards MIA before stopping at around halfway for an airboat ride off the causeway. We have thus broken up the journey and used it to our advantage.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizz
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks for the replies.
Not tied to Orlando but Tampa at the beginning is a must.
Will look at a hotel in Miami for 1st night and take it from there I think.
It’s more as we were flying so far for Wrestlemania we thought we’d make a proper holiday of it so I suggested Orlando as we’ve never taken the children, weren’t planning Disney though.
Wizz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We flew out of Miami one year as we spent a few days down keys. We hated it, took 7hrs to drive from Orlando as there was a storm and roads flooded. Airport and roads surrounding it were awful,we wouldn't do it again unless savings were massive lol.
Old 20 Apr 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can you still get cheap flights into one airport and out of another? Am considering Miami/Fort Lauderdale as an alternative to flying indirect but also as a way of seeing elsewhere in Floridafor a couple of days. But most airline I think would treat those as one wY and charge more
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We did it last year - thought it was fine, especially as there were 7 of us and we saved around £150-£200 each !

We collected the car and drove around an hour north and stayed at Boca Rattan, which cut down the journey the next day
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List