Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jun 16, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post

for me no , I have never fancied turkey as for Egypt i went in the 90's enjoyed it but with recent events i would not be going.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 16, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KES
Imagineer

KES's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've never really fancied Egypt, but we have been to Turkey a few times and wouldn't hesitate to go again.
LBV Village Resort & Spa 1/09
LBV Village Resort & Spa 10/09
KES is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 16, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Johnnyp View Post
Considering the very tragic events in Orlando, you cannot say your safe anywhere nowadays but you do have to weigh up the pros and cons of anywhere you go.

Me and the girlfriend off to Turkey soon but not near the border area, and do keep a eye on what the FCO advises
I'm with you on this and have said as much on the 'Orlando shooting' thread in 'General Chat' and my opinion wasn't taken too well .

Why say you won't go to Turkey/Egypt etc for risk of terrorism, but you will go to Orlando or New York? Many countries are affected by terrorism and their sympathisers - the tragic situation in Orlando at the moment illustrate that precisely.

I feel heart sorry for the people in these countries who have lost their livelihood through no fault of their own, because people are choosing not to travel there due to public sentiment.

I wouldn't go to Egypt right now (and I've been and love it), because the FCO advises not to go, I'd go to other places like that though if I wanted to as long as FCO says it's OK. It's just simply that we are visiting other countries this year - who is to say they won't become a target as well?

No one has a crystal ball, and nowhere is 100% safe in the world we live in today sadly .
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 16, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Nope, neither. And not just because of the threat, just because I've got no desire to visit either place
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 16, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Love Turkey, fantastic weather and people are fantastic. Always have a great time.

Obviously cheaper now people are in a flap about terrorism but we always go out of our way to take advantage of the bargains and fully support the local economy when we do.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 16, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Been to both and enjoyed both but Egypt was Luxor and Cairo which were amazing (not the beaches as they don't appeal to me ) but wouldn't go back for the foreseeable . Seems abit like tempting fate

Edited at 09:30 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 16, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Never fancied either: too many reports from female friends that have been re the lecherous guys over there, some of the behaviour was actually stomach churning. Final straw for me were the horror stories shared by one of the Egyptian students (medical doctor) on my Master's course - a mature student like myself - describing the atrocious way Egyptian women, especially those that are widowed, are treated out there.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 16, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I didn't like Egypt as a country when we went (shame as it has wonderful history) and I said there and then I'd never go back.
Turkey is ok, seen all the sights we have wanted to see. To me it's a cheerful cheap bucket and spade place now and if that is what I was looking I'd go back in a heart beat.
Old 13 Jun 16, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread