Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 22 May 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Try and play Minecraft on a Chromebook as many kids want to 🤔
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Try and play Minecraft on a Chromebook as many kids want to 🤔
That's would come under reasons not to get one if you were reliant on playing certain games on it.
Funnily enough my kids don't like Minecraft on the pc , they prefer it on xbox.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep, better on a console but many don't have one.

Agree with you though if it fits the Chromebooks are good.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Another vote for the chromebook.
I bought my son one about 7 or 8 years ago for under €250.
It came with 8.5 hrs battery life, a solid state drive, free apps (play store), built in security, automatic updates, virus protection and 100GB google drive.

He is now at IT College and has a 'top of the range' pc for engineering and I am still using the chromebook.

1 of the best buys I ever made!

They've since been upgraded.
I love the fact they are not 'bloated' with apps and software I cannot or do not know how to use.
That frees up more space for the important stuff!

Providing they are compatible with class work,I'd def buy again for my DS. I did it to get him familiar with using a laptop before we spent a fortune on the high spec one needed for college!

Oh and also, mine is a 13inch screen and is so lightweight i can carry it in my shopping bag!

It also has usb 2 and usb 3 ports, hdmi port, and a card reader.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 07:35 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Acesplicer
Being a bit Goofy

currys/gbuk/comput...93618-pdt.html

I’m tempted by this as replacement for our recently deceased dell laptop
Acesplicer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Unless your school is using Apple products I wouldn't suggest one as you could run into all sorts of compatibility issues from a software perspective. In reality a modern Windows PC at a 3rd of the price lasts as long as any Macbook will.

If schools use apply products it tends to be iPads.

Chromebooks are good, but again check with the school as to what software they use. There are limitations to what a chromebook can do.

For the most compatibility between school and home life then a Windows 10 laptop is still the most sensible choice.

Things to consider are the processor, Memory and Disk storage. Budget is of course the key factor in where you go with this.

How much are you looking to spend?

You say you have a PC, I assume this is doing what you need it to, so may be a good way of looking at the hardware you need. What make / model is the PC?
The PC is a Lenovo but I am unsure what model..i will have a look tomorrow!
Old 23 May 20, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by lam View Post
Another vote for the chromebook.
I bought my son one about 7 or 8 years ago for under €250.
It came with 8.5 hrs battery life, a solid state drive, free apps (play store), built in security, automatic updates, virus protection and 100GB google drive.

He is now at IT College and has a 'top of the range' pc for engineering and I am still using the chromebook.

1 of the best buys I ever made!

They've since been upgraded.
I love the fact they are not 'bloated' with apps and software I cannot or do not know how to use.
That frees up more space for the important stuff!

Providing they are compatible with class work,I'd def buy again for my DS. I did it to get him familiar with using a laptop before we spent a fortune on the high spec one needed for college!

Oh and also, mine is a 13inch screen and is so lightweight i can carry it in my shopping bag!

It also has usb 2 and usb 3 ports, hdmi port, and a card reader.
Thanks I'll have a look at this model.