Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Mar 02, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post

I've had some advice on this subject from the US DisBoards a few weeks ago... but it appears we're now 99% certain to be going to Disneyland Cal. in late October ( DW wants to give Florida a miss but the kids need a theme park type holiday again ), so what advice , tips , places to see can you kind folk come up with.

The intention is to go for 3 weeks, do the Disney bits, Universal, Seaworld, Knotts Berry etc. Then what ?  We'd intended to go to Las Vegas for a couple of days , but  a friend came back last week with horror stories about how much it cost so that's on the back boiler.

So, any great ideas please?  

mike
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 02, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mike,

I've never done it, but I have always fancied driving up the coast to San Francisco

- in my dream, we hire a plush winnabago and spend the evenings at beautiful campsites over looking fantastic scenery but it would probably turn out to be one of those trucks with a tent on the back and a campsite with a view of a port-a-loo...

Bev
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 02, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
No help here I'm afraid, although we were toying with the idea ourselves for next time. I do have a friend out there at the moment though so will be 'grilling' her when she returns. I'll let you know! .
Old 11 Mar 02, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Have you thought about San Diego? I'd love to go there. The climate is near perfect, seems like a great place to chill out after LA. There's loads to do there for the kids such as Sea World. Not too far to drive from LA.
We were planning on "doing" California next year and intended to have six days there.
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 02, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
theFatman
Excited about Disney

Hey I'm not much help either, havent been for 11 years but do remember that it can be a long old heavy traffic drive from Disneyland area to universal Studios. May be worth splitting your hotel stays to each side of town, we did 3 nights at Disneyland hotel then moved to the Hollywood Roosevelt on Sunset oposite the Chinese Theatre for Universal etc.

I,ve done Vegas many times ( still have the gambling debts . ) I,ve always found it very cheap, the hotels and buffets a lot better value than Orlando. However you need to check whats booked into town before going, if theres a big convention ( the one I used to attend took everyhotel room for miles ) or big fight etc in town then all the prices shoot up.
Its not the best of places to take kids, despite them making an effort they do not like kids near the slot machines, and there are slots evrywhere including the loos. You cant get to the reception desk in many hotels with fighting a path thru the slots .  There are some kiddie friendly hotels such as Circus Circus.  The Grand Canyon and Hoover damm are breathtaking.

Try and get up to San Fransico or down to San Diego both lovely in their own way.
  • Carnival GLORY 04
  • RCCL 7 times 05,06,07,08,08,09,09
theFatman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 02, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

It's been so long since I went to Disneyland that by info is probably very out of date (I went in 1981!! ), my DD's went there last year (aged 16 and 19) - their Father lives in San Diego.

October would be a good time to go - the weather is still warm but the parks are much quieter. Some of the parks do have very big rides so are not suitable for younger children - my DD's loved Knott's Berry Farm. I personally wouldn't take children to Las Vegas it is more of an adult playground than a children's!

I agree with Dave that traffic can be a problem especially at rush hour in LA - mornings and evenings. There is a lot to see though and it is worth travelling to San Diego and maybe down to Tijuana for a day trip. Also, down the coast road below Tijuana is Rosarito where the film Titanic was shot and there is a theme park/museum. I haven't been to San Fransisco but friends that have been loved it.

Hope this helps.

Old 12 Mar 02, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Dave's right, it is a fair old trek from the Annaheim area up to Universal City. I don't think you would want to do it on a daily basis. The LA sights like Beverly Hills, Rodeo Dr., Sunset Blvd, Venice Beach are all around or north of the airport whereas Annaheim is well to the south.

Universal is similar to the one in Florida, you park in a muliti storey car park and then make your way through a Citywalk area into the park. The park is in two sections seperated by a walk way type thing. (I think they extended at some point). The Jurassic park ride, ET, Back to the future are all there (or they were in 1998!&#33. and the "Backlot tour" was very good.

From what I can remember it is about 2 hours to get down to San Diego (although that was from close to LAX) but it may be less from the Annaheim area. Sea World was nice but I didn't think it was as nice as Florida. It was very similar with a Shanu show, Dolphins and Clyde and Seymour.

San Francisco can be done in about 5 hours up the freeway but the Scenic route is up highway 1, past Carmel and Monterray which are a good stop off point. San Fran is a nice city with lots of tourist things to see the Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz (boat tour available), Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, Lombard street etc. There is a place called Sausilto over the ther side of the bridge which is lovely and further on are the wine regions of Napa valley and Sonoma valley - winery tours and tasting recommended!

You can also get to Yosemite national park which is superb (about 4 hrs from San Fran) and also up to Tahoe which is also nice (similar time).
Old 12 Mar 02, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

I've already chatted with you about this in pm's Mike. If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know. .
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 02, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread