Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Nov 17, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
debs2028
Imagineer

Mobile

In Hanoi we stayed in the Hanoi Glance hotel ..it was very nice , well appointed rooms if lacking in a bit of atmosphere .
We found Agoda had well priced hotels in Asia . All bookings went smoothly . We did also use booking.com and Expedia . I also used zen hotels which I had never heard of before but again no problems .
debs2028 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

We've finally got around to booking our other stuff.
In the end we went for La Siesta Hoi An and in HCMC, Liberty Central City Point as the Myst was just too expensive.
We also booked our internal flights with Vietjet. We paid £1.30 each to reserve our seats. We're the only ones on the plane at the moment. I was too tight to pay £4 for rows 3-5, so we've gone for rows 6-8.
I'm not sure what the pound cost would be, but I paid in dong and my mate paid in dollars and I'm sure his will end up cheaper than mine. I thought paying in local currency was the best way.

All we have to sort out is our transfers and what we actually want to see there.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I found out about hanoikids where local students take you on tours. I went to book them and 2 months out they are fully booked. If you are thinking of going to Hanoi, book them as soon as you can. I'm now on the waiting list, so hopefully will get them.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
debs2028
Imagineer

Originally Posted by justacey View Post
I found out about hanoikids where local students take you on tours. I went to book them and 2 months out they are fully booked. If you are thinking of going to Hanoi, book them as soon as you can. I'm now on the waiting list, so hopefully will get them.
We used them , they were great but I guess as it’s essentually free it gets booked up early . I think you stand a good chance on the waiting list . We did the evening foodtour .. able to eat at local ( non tourist ) places and they have is good tips for other places to try while we were there . They had excellent english skills .
debs2028 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Just updating this thread as our original plan to go this year didn't happen. We had already booked Disney for DDs birthday in October so felt 2 long haul holidays in one year was too much.

We are definitely visiting next summer, unfortunately due to work and college commitments, we have to travel the end of July so rainy season. We are putting together our plans and hope to book around November after our Florida trip. We have found flights from Birmingham with Qatar airlines, with a 2-3 hour layover in Dubai which seem practical for us. Our plans for where we are staying are still very undecided which is why I have revisted this thread. We will be around 11 days in Vietnam, mainly based in HCM but will fly elsewhere for a few days mid-holiday but not at all sure where yet 😀. We are thinking of booking a hotel in HCM for the whole stay and leaving some belongings there while we fly to our second stay location then return to HCM to end our stay with our son. Has anyone left their belongings in this way, and should we inform the hotel in HCM that we won't be sleeping in the room for 3 nights or not?

As we are travelling in rainy season, is it worth visiting a beach area for the 3 nights? Thanks for all the advice so far, I have just reread this and lots of great ideas here for us to explore 😀

Sue
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We have found flights from Birmingham with Qatar airlines, with a 2-3 hour layover in Dubai which seem practical for us.
Sue
Qatar are very good, probably our fave airline now, beating Emirates and Singapore. Your layover will be Doha not Dubai.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Qatar are very good, probably our fave airline now, beating Emirates and Singapore. Your layover will be Doha not Dubai.
Thank you, good to know they are recommended. Don't know why I thought Dubai 😀, is Doha good for a layover and simple to get connections? We have never used connecting flights before 😊
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thank you, good to know they are recommended. Don't know why I thought Dubai 😀, is Doha good for a layover and simple to get connections? We have never used connecting flights before 😊
Doha has a modern airport with very good facilities and services. Last November we flew to Cape Town with Qatar - our in bound flight had a medical emergency and had to divert to Bucharest. This delay meant we only had 20 mins to make our connection. As we got off the plane there was somebody waiting with a sign who then literally ran us across the airport. We got on the plane and the doors closed. Fantastic service, we thought we had no chance of making the flight. Our luggage even made it as well!
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Doha has a modern airport with very good facilities and services. Last November we flew to Cape Town with Qatar - our in bound flight had a medical emergency and had to divert to Bucharest. This delay meant we only had 20 mins to make our connection. As we got off the plane there was somebody waiting with a sign who then literally ran us across the airport. We got on the plane and the doors closed. Fantastic service, we thought we had no chance of making the flight. Our luggage even made it as well!
Wow, that is excellent service. Very reassuring for me for our first indirect flights too 😀
Old 28 Aug 18, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
debs2028
Imagineer

We went July /August and had very little rain . We had an amazing time on Hoi An beach .
It's easy to get a flight from Saigon to Da Nang .
Visiting Hue , Danang and Hoi an makes sense as they are all close to each other .
The temples in Hue were the best we experienced outside Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat would also be a worthwhile trip from Saigon . Flights were not expensive and it was an amazing experience .

Edited at 12:13 AM.