Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Jan 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Old Key West Resort and free dining

Hi There

Looking at going back Aug 21 or 22 and making a list of things we would like to do...

Last year we were very lucky as we were there for the hurricane and had booked into the campsite for the night but received an email the night before that they were closing the campsite and that they had put us in a two-bedroom villa at OKW Resort, we loved being on site but having the space of the villa...We would love to go back but just looking at prices for this year it looks very expensive and wondering if anyone knows if it is ever on the free dining?
2017dream is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2017dream View Post
Hi There

Looking at going back Aug 21 or 22 and making a list of things we would like to do...

Last year we were very lucky as we were there for the hurricane and had booked into the campsite for the night but received an email the night before that they were closing the campsite and that they had put us in a two-bedroom villa at OKW Resort, we loved being on site but having the space of the villa...We would love to go back but just looking at prices for this year it looks very expensive and wondering if anyone knows if it is ever on the free dining?
It is, but limited dates and availability, and they only release OKW/SSR rooms 11 months (or more like 10-ish months) in advance.

Having said that, what we did for beginning of Oct this year, was on free dining release for 2020 in April 2019, we booked rooms at POR, and then at the end of November 2019 called up to switch our booking to OKW, as soon as we saw our dates come up.

There is obviously no guarantee this will happen and rooms will become available, so you have to either be prepared to stay at your second choice, or lose your deposit if you cancel.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

We currently have 2 rooms at POFQ on the Free dining plan for 6th - 19th August 2020 (booked last April) and are waiting for OKW or SSR to come up - but unfortunately no luck yet.
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
It is, but limited dates and availability, and they only release OKW/SSR rooms 11 months (or more like 10-ish months) in advance.

Having said that, what we did for beginning of Oct this year, was on free dining release for 2020 in April 2019, we booked rooms at POR, and then at the end of November 2019 called up to switch our booking to OKW, as soon as we saw our dates come up.

There is obviously no guarantee this will happen and rooms will become available, so you have to either be prepared to stay at your second choice, or lose your deposit if you cancel.
I did virtually the same for september. Booked Coronado but changed up to OKW when it came on the website. As we know, you dont pay a fee if you go upwards
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gp1602
Getting Excited

We stayed at SSR in summer school holidays 2016. I booked it the day free dining was released so unless something has changed Disney did release some that day?
Gp1602 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes I have a one bedroom villa booked for April (after Easter) with free dining. I booked it in June last year, I wasn’t waiting for it though, we were actually thinking of going to the west coast. It was available when we first looked, albeit this would have been at the ten month point. It is costing £385 per night which seems reasonable.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gp1602 View Post
We stayed at SSR in summer school holidays 2016. I booked it the day free dining was released so unless something has changed Disney did release some that day?
Yes it changed in 2018 as they massively oversold ssr for October of that year (in 2017) and ended up moving people to beach club/ wilderness lodge etc
Wasn’t too bad for 2019 but 2020 has had very limited availability for okw/ssr. You just have to keep checking for when then release them.
Interestingly I would like ssr for May next year if/when they do free dining so I’ve be checking availability this year. 1 bed have hardly ever come up, but they now have studios and 1 bed for May.

So I think as it gets closer to the date they release more if available. Could just be nobody has booked for May of course!
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gp1602 View Post
It has changed a lot since 2016.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys for all your replies...

Never had free dining, stayed for 2 nights at the end of our trip at AOA and loved it our first time, due to flights changing so worked out cheaper to stay 2 extra nights, then they give us the room at OKW our second time and again loved that ...
Don't know if I could spend a long time in one room as our children are now 21 and 16 so a bit cramped but the 5 nights should be ok, then I thought about this and would give us way more room albeit for a price..
Fingers crossed for free dining ...

Thanks again for the replies ...
2017dream is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Shani View Post

Thanks for your reply...
Never thought of doing this, what a great idea ...
My son likes the look of Carribean Beach but can see that that would be QS is it QS at OKW or is it DP ? Would you also need to upgrade your dinning package ?
Thanks again