Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 27 Mar 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
All fine and seems back to normal for me too.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Great to hear.

Just to explain a bit about how the internet works. Servers are located all over the world. TheDIBB happens to be in Canary Wharf. The "plumbing" from your ISP to the server runs all over the country. Like motorways some routes become blocked with traffic. Say for instance you were driving from Birmingham to London and using the M1. There is a lot of traffic on the M1 so it is running slowly. Another member uses the M40 and has no problem getting through.

This is how the internet works. It really depends on the pipes your ISP chooses to use. Some might be blocked and some will be clear.

There is no point saying all other sites are fine it is only theDIBB. That is not the case. All sites housed in that data centre would be the same. But because you personally are not using those sites it looks like it is only one site. This is not just limited to theDIBB. It happens to every website at some point.

It would be nice to never get stuck in a traffic jam on the M1 or M25. But that is never going to happen. Sometimes things just back up.

Our data centre worked with us to re-route traffic over different networks to avoid the London Internet Exchange routes which are bottlenecked at this time. I can imagine all the home workers are adding to the load.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Great to hear.

Just to explain a bit about how the internet works. Servers are located all over the world. TheDIBB happens to be in Canary Wharf. The "plumbing" from your ISP to the server runs all over the country. Like motorways some routes become blocked with traffic. Say for instance you were driving from Birmingham to London and using the M1. There is a lot of traffic on the M1 so it is running slowly. Another member uses the M40 and has no problem getting through.

This is how the internet works. It really depends on the pipes your ISP chooses to use. Some might be blocked and some will be clear.

There is no point saying all other sites are fine it is only theDIBB. That is not the case. All sites housed in that data centre would be the same. But because you personally are not using those sites it looks like it is only one site. This is not just limited to theDIBB. It happens to every website at some point.

It would be nice to never get stuck in a traffic jam on the M1 or M25. But that is never going to happen. Sometimes things just back up.

Our data centre worked with us to re-route traffic over different networks to avoid the London Internet Exchange routes which are bottlenecked at this time. I can imagine all the home workers are adding to the load.
Thanks Simon.
So in theory if you live in London it’s quicker than if you live in the North or is that not how it works?
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thanks Simon.
So in theory if you live in London it’s quicker than if you live in the North or is that not how it works?
Nope. If the pipes are clear from Scotland to London and blocked from South London to Canary Wharf then Scotland will be quicker.

As data travels at the speed of light, distance doesn't mean much. It is more the traffic on the routes you are using.

Also someone in London could be routed half way round the country before coming back into London to access the servers.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Nope. If the pipes are clear from Scotland to London and blocked from South London to Canary Wharf then Scotland will be quicker.

As data travels at the speed of light, distance doesn't mean much. It is more the traffic on the routes you are using.

Also someone in London could be routed half way round the country before coming back into London to access the servers.
Ah that explains it, thank you
Damn London traffic 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

How are things for Sky users this morning? I will report back to the data centre.
I'm using the Dibb via a cabled connection to our Sky router and it's fine. I knew I ran that cable upstairs for a reason!