Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jun 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Sorry! Was in my pre-report days If you want to see some photos of anything, just ask!
Good move for Fredricksburg - the countryside is very pretty around there too and there were loads of wild flowers when we went.
Ooh I do love seeing photos! If you’ve got any of Fredericksburg I’d love to see them if you don't mind?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I have a bit of unfinished business in Texas and want to go back to explore off the beaten track someday maybe when we do Route 66. I loved Austin and San Antonio was nice. The cities though had a very different feel to other American cities. I love US cities but there was something ''off'' about Dallas and Houston. The people seem to live in big McMansions in the suburbs and there's no real heart and as Yorkshire said Houston traffic and infrastructure made LA look like a quaint village. Sight to see but too car centered, I can't imagine living there and no wonder so many were huge, very unhealthy way to live. Austin has a European feel, reminded of Boston, San Fran and Portland. Fab music and food scene. Great holiday but Texas is not to my tastes. I think it's a place you will either fall madly in love with or you'll say 'meh'. Oh yeah it was also the first time someone tried to witness to me - in a Starbucks in Dallas. Hadn't a clue what she was on about and when I decked it I didn't have time to think before I said 'ah no love, I'm a recovering Catholic' and she looked at me like a stain on a hotel towel and darted off. It's a pure Americana place, everything is massive, vast, American flags flying, pickup trucks everywhere, lots of religious references, lots of buffets (well maybe no more lol), old fashioned diners, giant houses, rodeos, football, everyone calling you m'am every minute, guns (first time I'd seen a civilian open carry was a shopowner at a gas station. Great for photography too if you're into that, lots of quirky things to snap and great light out on the open road.

Someone said they wanted to go to Utah in the future ^^ Wait for a special birthday/anniversary, save your coins, stay at the Amangiri and thank me later!
I hadn’t heard great things about Dallas and Houston which is why I thought Fort Worth was a better place to base ourselves and we just travel into Dallas for the typical tourist attractions - JFK museum, Southfork and the Dallas Cowboys stadium. Houston again I thought of basing ourselves at the beach and just going to the Johnson Space Centre as that’s the only thing I’d be interested in, unless there’s something I’m missing?
That made me LOL about your near miss in converting religion, I’ll try to remember that line 😂
Ooh I love being called Ma’am, one thing I love about being in the US! I think you’re right that it’s a place we’ll either love or hate, I hope we love it though.

We will 100% be going to Utah in the near future. It is my 40th in 2 years and as I took my OH to Vegas for his, it’s only fair I get a fabulous holiday too 😉
I’ve just googled Amangiri - how much?! 😳

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Ooh I do love seeing photos! If you’ve got any of Fredericksburg I’d love to see them if you don't mind?
Here's some photos :
Fredericksburg -

Enchanted Rock -

Luckenbach -

I'm sure the cat's moved by now, but I just love this photo with the Texas star! I didn't take a lot at Fredericksburg for some reason! Hope they help though.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Mobile

We saw a James Martin food prog from San Antonio and spookily this thread came into the New Posts section!

Thank you so much for all the ideas - we are already planning our 2022 road trip in texas - so much to do and a great deal of it is surprisingly close!

Again - thanks to everyone who has already posted - great stuff!
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

[QUOTE=MarkJ;14515644]We saw a James Martin food prog from San Antonio and spookily this thread came into the New Posts section!

Thank you so much for all the ideas - we are already planning our 2022 road trip in texas - so much to do and a great deal of it is surprisingly close!

Again - thanks to everyone who has already posted - great stuff

If you like cooking go to a HEB plus in or around SAN Antonio or Austin they have while ranges of fabulous Mexican and Texas inspired spices , coffees and food it’s amazing !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

The mercado downtown SAN Antonio , stumbled across this dance competition in a shopping mall , the photo doesn’t really do it justice , the costumes were so pretty
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you, I’ve read Elizabeth’s report about 3 times now. I’ve pretty much pinched most of their itinerary for mine 😂
I’m so excited for you, your trip sounds amazing!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Another one bites the dust..
We were flying with Singapore Airlines 21st Aug MAN-Houston. They have now updated their policy allowing cancellations up to 31 Aug. Given the news about C-19 on the increase in Texas we had already made the decision we would rather not go so have now cancelled.
Another year hopefully we will get to Texas.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List