Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 Jun 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Expedia vouchers?

Hi all,

I contacted Expedia this morning regarding a hotel booking and trying to obtain a refund due to my flight being cancelled today for our august trip

Sadly they rang through to the hotel to see if they would agree to a refund on my non- refundable room rate, but the hotel declined.

Expedia suggested I contact them again at the end of July to see if I could get a credit voucher instead (apparently at the moment they are only able to issue vouchers for trips to the end of June).

One question I forgot to ask them, and so I was hoping someone here might know - are the vouchers for Expedia bookings generally, or for the specific hotel we'd booked?

The reason I ask is I don't know if we will be able to get to this hotel in Texas within the twelve months voucher dates, but we are (hoping) to still go to Florida at Christmas, so could use the vouchers for a hotel there instead, if that's possible?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

I would suggest you hold off just now, I booked a non refundable hotel with ebookers (same company as Expedia) for June, I contacted them in May when flights were cancelled (when they were only issuing vouchers for May) and they phoned hotel and hotel advised them to call back around 8 days before to negotiate a refund, ebookers since updated the date to offer vouchers for June and looks like it’s for that particular hotel and valid for 12 months, I contacted them today on chat expecting to get fobbed off with a voucher but was pleasantly surprised, full refund, had email confirming but does say may be unto 30 days. If it was a voucher I was getting I was planning on claiming through my insurance if I could. Good luck

Sorry meant to add this was for Poland, where I believe hotels etc are back opened

Edited at 03:55 PM.
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I contacted Expedia about two bookings I have. One refundable and one non-refundable.

I got the refund from the refundable one in about 10 days (today).
They said they would contact the other "non-refundable" hotel and get back to me in 3 days. This is a booking for mid July.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you both 👍

I think I panicked this morning once the flight got cancelled (I know I’d been expecting it, but it still threw me when I thought about all the refunds I was going to have to try to sort out! )

I’ve since been told the same thing as you guys are saying by Hotels.com also, so I’ll put a note in my diary to wait until August to speak to them all again - it’s all just so stressful - I’m one of those people that likes to get things done rather than sitting around waiting and stressing - all this is no good for my blood pressure! Haha! 😂
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Amy - Erin was booked through Expedia to go to the Canaries last month - they refunded her hotel in full but wouldn’t do it until quite near the time. I think it was literally a few days before they were due to check in (or even after).Don’t know if that makes a difference but thought I’d pass it on?

I would assume an Expedia credit would allow you to book anything Expedia sells, hotels, flights etc.
Old 3 Jun 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

And I’m sorry your flights been cancelled but maybe for the best in a way?
Old 4 Jun 20, 05:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve got the same problem with Expedia for a hotel I’ve booked in Miami. It’s an airport hotel.
How did you get through to Expedia? Online chat or phone call?
This is a very good lesson for me never to book a non refundable hotel again. I’ve never even thought about it before because I always intend on going where I’ve booked. Definitely made me think twice.🙈
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
And I’m sorry your flights been cancelled but maybe for the best in a way?
Hi Karen x

Yes, BA cancelled yesterday morning which was great in one way, but as we fly out on 31st July, I think we were ‘lucky’ that we fell into the July cancellation batch, but now have the anxious wait as most of our trip falls in the August batch - my Hawaiian flights were actually more expensive than the Atlantic crossing ones, so I’m just hoping the Hawaiian Governor announces extended quarantine to get a refund for those flights.

But that’s helpful to know that Erin was successful nearer the time - just more patience needed I guess! Thank you so much for replying xx
Old 4 Jun 20, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I’ve got the same problem with Expedia for a hotel I’ve booked in Miami. It’s an airport hotel.
How did you get through to Expedia? Online chat or phone call?
This is a very good lesson for me never to book a non refundable hotel again. I’ve never even thought about it before because I always intend on going where I’ve booked. Definitely made me think twice.🙈
I’m exactly the same - I had no intention of cancelling, and so saw no real risk in booking non-refundable rooms, and basically for this trip everything aside from my DVC stay, was booked on that basis through various third parties - something I haven’t really done before, and as you say - massive lesson learned - won’t be doing that again!

I’ve already read on here that Love Holidays are basically not answering requests for refunds, and I’ve booked £1000 worth of accommodation through them!

I contacted Expedia via chat and was through to an agent within 15 mins. I’d do it that way again and then if I don’t get any joy with a refund, I could screen shot the replies and hopefully that would help any insurance claim?

Stressful times.

Edited at 07:10 AM.
Old 4 Jun 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I’m exactly the same - I had no intention of cancelling, and so saw no real risk in booking non-refundable rooms, and basically for this trip everything aside from my DVC stay, was booked on that basis through various third parties - something I haven’t really done before, and as you say - massive lesson learned - won’t be doing that again!

I’ve already read on here that Love Holidays are basically not answering requests for refunds, and I’ve booked £1000 worth of accommodation through them!

I contacted Expedia via chat and was through to an agent within 15 mins. I’d do it that way again and then if I don’t get any joy with a refund, I could screen shot the replies and hopefully that would help any insurance claim?

Stressful times.
£1000 is so much to lose.😢

Our hotel with Expedia is only £80 so not the end of the world but we have two nights in Miami with Love holidays for £450. I think the communication and customer service is disgraceful. You can’t even get through to people to speak to. I find it so frustrating. Will not be booking with them again.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List