Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 08, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Do's and don'ts for California

I'm beginning to plan a trip to California in October 09.

I have a couple of must do's on my list including Disneyland and Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Also looking to do a little cycling and the beach.

If any of you dibbers have some suggestions or warnings they will be warmly welcomed.

If you've been, what did you like? what did you do? what would you do again and what would you never do again?

Driving, diving, National Parks, wine region or whatever, I'm keen to find out more.

Thanks, in anticipation of some good info.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

I've got to run now because I'm at work but have a little read of my trip report - link in my signature - I'll get back to you later with some tips!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Are you going to San Francisco ? if so , hire bikes and either cycle along the waterfront, or if you're feeling energetic, go over the bridge. There are other, longer routes that will take you around Golden gate park. Have a look on the Blazing Saddles site for ideas.
We went on a beach bus tour from Anaheim. I think my favourite beach was Balboa, Laguna was good,with more shops nearby, but busier. Corona Del Mar was most picturesque, but was just a small beach, nothing else.

Highlights of our trip were; San Francisco - riding cable cars, renting bikes, Alcatraz

Monterey - aquarium and whale watching

San Diego - Cornado beach and Balboa park

Anaheim - Beaches
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report

Edited at 02:50 PM.
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We loved Palm Springs when we were there in September.

We hired a house for a week in Cambria which was near Hearst Castle and a must.

Carmel is lovely.

Lots to do and see around San Diego.

Los Angeles was too smoggy and busy for us.

San Luis Obispo is very pretty but do not miss Solvang, which is a Danish town in the middle of California.
Old 20 Oct 08, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Take a cardigan, California is not Florida, when we went I was always cold. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

Okay - I'm back at home now so here's my personal highlights...

Definitely do San Francisco and Yosemite! San Francisco is awesome and there is so much to see and do - as someone else suggested if you like cycling then hiring bikes and riding over the GG Bridge is a must.

Also hiring bikes and doing the valley of Yosemite looks fantastic. We've toured it by car but intend to do it by bike when we return.

17 mile-drive at Monterey is wonderful as is the drive down highway 1...the views are second to none. Another vote for Hearst Castle, San Luis and Solvang here!

I'd limit how long you stay in LA...Anaheim for DL and Six Flags is more than enough. JMHO though...

Another great place - and somewhere we're going to again next time (2009) is Death Valley... we went in 1997 and have been meaning to return ever since.

I can't really help with beaches as we've always gone in November and the pacific is particularly cold at that time of year...I'm sure other people will have other suggestions.

Have fun planning!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
miopyk
Proud to wear my Ears

Hmmm, where to start.

Los Angeles Area

Disney, Universal Studios, Six Flags Magic Mountain, The Getty Centre, Griffith Park/Observatory, Santa Monica Beach/Pier (good for cycling down to Marina del Rey) and 3rd St Promenade, The Pacific Coast Highway, Hollywood & Highland, Wilshire Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, Rodeo Drive (Get a T Shirt from Nike Town), stay at Le Merigot in Santa Monica.

San Francisco Area

Cable Cars, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, Shopping and walking, China Town, Yosemite (4/5 hour drive each way), Nappa Valley, Stay at the Downtown Marriott.

San Diego Area

Seaworld, San Diego Zoo and Animal Park, Legoland, Mexico (just south of San Diego, Gaslight district, beaches at La Joya, stay at the Coronado Hotel.

Las Vegas Area

Death Valley (you can combine this with a drive to Las Vegas, 4 hour drive from LA), The strip, and much, much more. Stay at The Venetian.

Obviously others will think of more but these are my recommendations.

Miopyk

Edited at 07:10 PM.
miopyk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dissuziq
Apprentice Imagineer

Dissuziq's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I went to California in June, here my do's and don't

Do
San francisco and Alcatraz Island tour
Universal Studios - worth it just for the studio tours
In LA get a car, as public transport is not good and the city is built for the car from the valet parking and the distances as LA is soo spread out
In SF use the fantastic public transport no car is needed
Go to Yosemite for a couple of days - we did a day trip and only just sctratched the service.

Watch for the yellow signs that are for film crews directions for filiming, it was our fun thing to do, we saw Entourage and Life filming and the stars when we there just my noticing the signs.

DON'TS

try and use public transport in LA
Get a stars homes maps from street sellers, most of the stars are dead or moved.
Stay in Beverly hills, very nice area restaurants and evening activities were limited
LA 2008,2016, DLP 2019
Dissuziq is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 08, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

some good advice above.

Regarding LA, stay either in Santa Monica or Marina del Rey. West Hollywood is okay, but other places can be pretty nasty.

Do Sunday Brunch at the House of Blues on Sunset and beforehand, take a stroll down Venice Beach to see all the craziness that CA has to offer!

A drive up PCH is worth an afternoon - so is getting stuck at the 405/101 intersection, commonly known as the busiest and worst in the western world!
Old 20 Oct 08, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Used to live out in California - go see a baseball game, visit Lake Tahoe the views are stunning, Santa Cruz has some amazing beaches 'Natural bridges' but also home to the board walk and then there's Winchester Mystery House which is fascinating.
Closed Thread