Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Oct 08, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sage
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alijolly View Post
Ooh Sage/Sarah I've just noticed you are in Northants too whereabouts are you? We are in Stanwck just off the A45.

Hi, we're in Byfield on the A361, half-way between Banbury and Daventry. We always go to Northampton via Towcester which I think is on the A45 although I'm hopeless with roads!

What a small world (or should that be "it's a small world after all!)
sage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 08, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post

another vote for not dismissing LA. Sure it may have problems as a city, but there is a fair bit to do purely because the place is so large. If you just see the 'touristy' things then it can be disappointing (have I said how much of a dump Hollywood actually is on this thread yet? ), but there is so much more to the surrounding areas.

I would also give Six Flags a thumbs up - never had a problem when I have been there apart from Superman being closed but this was due to a safety issue. Sure, it may not have the thousands of staff like Disney, but it also doesn't have a souvenir shop every ten yards

Yosemite I have never been to, but will do at some point. I am sure it warrants a fair few days on everyone's itinerary but given two weeks, you have to pick and choose what you want to do in CA - remembering it is 50% larger than the UK in size!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 08, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post

I have spent a total of 9 weeks in California and we are going back in 2010 for 3 weeks (hopefully) as there's so much we have still to see.
We are always based in Anaheim and have travelled to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam along Route 66 and then on into Vegas and have also caught a Greyline bus to Vegas.
We always go into LA and we love Beverly Hills especially Rodeo Drive (bought my daughter a necklace from Tiffanys there). Hollywoods a bit of a dump but you still have to visit there. Universal is way better than Orlando and you also have Knotts Berry Farm not far from Disneyland.
The amount of time you spend in each place is down to the individual, some people only like 2 days at Disneyland and California Adventure, we get an annual pass when we visit so we can go all the time as we love it, for us 2 days in WDW was enough, so its just a case of what you prefer.
Love Rio
Old 22 Oct 08, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Guys

this is going to take some sifting through but I really appreciate the effort you have put in to 'enlighten' me

I will of cousre submit a plan to you all for approval before I go!

Anyone joining this thread, don't be shy, I don't think you can give me too much info.

Old 22 Oct 08, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

We are also planning a trip to California next autumn. After a fair bit of research (good old trip advisor ) our itinery is as follows:

Flying LHR-SF
3 nights San Francisco (Argonaut Hotel)
2 nights Yosemite (Yosemite Lodge at the Falls)
1 night Carmel (Carmel Village Inn)
1 night Cambria (Moonstone Landing)
5 nights Santa Monica (The Georgian)
4 nights Las Vegas (Ceasars Palace)
Back home LV-LGW

Very very excited about this trip - its our "trip of a lifetime" and I have wanted to do it for about 6 years. Hope you have as much fun planning yours as we did...
Bevawelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 08, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, another West Coast planner here that's been reading this thread with interest. Our itinerary very very simply is one week San Fransisco, trip down to Anaheim (stopping one night on the way) rest of the week at Anaheim and then a week in San Diego.

Very interested to read what others have said about the length of stay at Anaheim, we could spend five days at DLP so don't think we've allocated too much time at Disney.

Would like to go to Yosemite or Seqouia National Park but mid april but there could still be snow/closed roads so concerned about that, Moro rock in SNP is inaccessible at that time of the year.
Old 22 Oct 08, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Have a look at all the trip reports that have been written for the West Coast. There were quite a few of us who did that coast last summer.

I planned my trip after reading other peoples trippies!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 08, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sage
Imagineer

I keep having a look and just end up wanting to do more and more! This could well end up a mega-expensive trip but at least it'll be fun!
sage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 08, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
We are going to Aneheim for 1 weeks and San Diago for another. Here is my very, very rough plan.

Sat LA tour - Centre of LA including Chinese Theatre and LA sign and drive down Rhodeo etc
Sun Beach Bus (Woody)
Mon - Catalina Island
Tues - Disney
Wed - Disney
Thursday - Six Flags
Friday - hopping and move to San Diago

Sat - Look round SanDiago and maybe do US Midway and Old Town
Sun - Trolley Tour and Beach at Cornonado
Monday - SW
Tues - Relax and maybe a boat trip
Wed - San Diago Zoo
Thurs - Water park at Chattu
Friday - Home day.

I'm sure we won't manage all of this, but as I said it is very very rough and I have loads of reading to do yet.

There are three of us and my DS is a coaster nut!, so I'm afraid Magic Mountain is a must.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 08, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hi,

Another visitor to California in 2009 here, it definately seems to be getting more popular. It will be our first visit too.

Our holiday will be more hectic than yours though as we're visiting more places and over a 3 week period.

Las Vegas 3 nights
Lee Vining 1 night
Yosemite 2 nights
San Francisco 3 nights
Monterey 1 night
Santa Monica 2 nights
Buena Park 2 nights
Palm Springs 1 night
Kingman 1 night
Grand Canyon 1 night
Lake Powell 1 night
Bryce Canyon 1 night
Las Vegas 2 nights

and back home again

It has changed before and it's likely to change again, the Santa Monica and Buena Park bit anyway. I have booked Yosemite though, as I believe that the hotel rooms in the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls book up early. We dont want to be left with the dearest room!

There's loads that we plan to do and it's good to read your thread, there's loads of info on here.

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread