Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Nov 10, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Calling all New York Travellers and "planners"

It seems from those who are currently posting on this board that there are a fair few of us who are travelling to New York in the next 6 months or so . . .

Just wondering, who is going, when, and have you made any plans to do anything special on this trip? Have you given thought to any itineraries of what you are going to be doing and what are your "must do's"

We go May 24th for 5 nights then staying in a villa at Highlands reserve in Orlando for 10. but it is this part of our trip which Im currently planning and which we are both really excited about . . .

just wondered who else is in the process of planning, and what level of planning are you doing?

Edited at 01:40 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post

I am planning to go in June along with a visit to Boston, work sitch permitting! It will be my 6th visit to NYC so not really planning anything in advance, apart from checking out some of the museums i haven't visited before, and getting tickets for a few shows from the TKTS booth. I just like wandering the streets, checking out the cool little parks and boutique shops in Soho and Greenwich Village and just feeling the vibe of the city!
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymadmum
Excited about Disney

I am planning to go in either July or August next year for my big 40! It will be a girly break with no men or kids! Can't wait. Haven't made any plans yet, but will be doing the usual touristy things & shopping. The last time I went it was 1997 & I always said I would go back, just didn't think it would be 14 years later! x

May 2006 - Holiday Inn I Drive
May 2008 & Oct 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2013 - Old Key West
Disneymadmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Me and DH are taking are DGD for her 13th birthday...we were lucky if we had a day at New Brighton!
We are going to do all the touristy things...she also wants to see Mama Mia...Coney Island and do lots of shopping!
We both love New York so will just go with the flow!
Jean
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disneymadmum View Post
I am planning to go in either July or August next year for my big 40! It will be a girly break with no men or kids! Can't wait. Haven't made any plans yet, but will be doing the usual touristy things & shopping. The last time I went it was 1997 & I always said I would go back, just didn't think it would be 14 years later! x
Ive never been to New York, but we're hoping to go from 5th - 8th August, so I'll be in the Big Apple for my 40th on 6th August!

I feel confident planning our Florida trips, but feel like I don't know what I'm doing trying to plan this one - just me and DH, but keep getting such varying quotes for flights/hotels etc, I just don't know where to start.

I'll follow this thread carefully to see if any more NY experienced dibbers can give me some great tips about must-do's!
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post
Ive never been to New York, but we're hoping to go from 5th - 8th August, so I'll be in the Big Apple for my 40th on 6th August!

I feel confident planning our Florida trips, but feel like I don't know what I'm doing trying to plan this one - just me and DH, but keep getting such varying quotes for flights/hotels etc, I just don't know where to start.

I'll follow this thread carefully to see if any more NY experienced dibbers can give me some great tips about must-do's!
A good search on the dibb will bring many NY threads, I have to say planning for NY can be intense for your first trip to get a chance to see as much as you can in the short time.

Hoping to go first May weekend but doubt it will happen and will most likely go in Sept 2011.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bluesky30
Imagineer

We fly out 3 weeks tomorrow! woo hoo! 4 nights in Frederick ( about 40mins north of DC) with our friends and their new 6 week old baby boy, then 3 nights NYC, staying at the skyline hotel. Plans so far are, statue of liberty, top of the rock, central park, times sq, lots of shopping, meeting one of DH's xbox live online buddies for breakfast in his local diner, he's also taking us to a peruvian restaurant (he's originally from Peru)
bluesky30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
A good search on the dibb will bring many NY threads, I have to say planning for NY can be intense for your first trip to get a chance to see as much as you can in the short time.

Hoping to go first May weekend but doubt it will happen and will most likely go in Sept 2011.
Thanks, intense and overwhelmed are exactly the words to describe how I feel! Keep getting excited reading NY trip reports, but then think I'll get our April Florida trip over with first, then throw myself into it!
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by bluesky30 View Post
We fly out 3 weeks tomorrow! woo hoo! 4 nights in Frederick ( about 40mins north of DC) with our friends and their new 6 week old baby boy, then 3 nights NYC, staying at the skyline hotel. Plans so far are, statue of liberty, top of the rock, central park, times sq, lots of shopping, meeting one of DH's xbox live online buddies for breakfast in his local diner, he's also taking us to a peruvian restaurant (he's originally from Peru)
Can you post what you thought of the Skyline, as this is the hotel Virgin are offering me as part of a twin centre with Boston but i am unsure based on some Trip Advisor reviews, so would be good to hear what you thought of it!
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Flowertot
Apprentice Imagineer

Flowertot's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We just got back last thurs after a 4 day trip. Not done a trip report yet and will try to get round to it but here is some of the highlights! Before I start I usually plan Orlando to an inch of it's life but really felt like a fish out of water for ny and not confident at all! Just spoke to loads of people who had visited and trawled through thus site and when I seen things that took my fancy noted them down, or if mite than a couple of people were suggesting things then would note that down too! It really helped

Day 1) Edinburgh to newark arrived in NY at noon.
Evening NY waterways twighlight cruise (all write ups say this is the best but it was really quiet - on the other pier circle line was heaving with people do felt lucky! A must do... Great for first night to get your bearings of how big / where things are
Day 2) Battery Park/ Liberty Island/ Crown and museum and audio tour/Ellis Island and audio tour/ walked up to ground zero from battery park and done wtc tribute centre . Back to get ready and then to the Mariott Marquis revolving restaurant just for cocktails then off to Billy Elliott. (disappointed with this , the accents were terrible and if your from the north east it really puts you off when your watching it when they change accents and start talking welsh ! In hindsight wish we had gone to see Pitman Painters which has the original cast from the north east or something else! )
Day 3) Ho Ho bus - spent many an hour trying to research this at home and eventually gave up , but we decided on this morning to get up and ho and buy ticket from grayline (red jackets)! Bought 3 days and in hindsight should only have bought one or max of two! (why, because once you have done the loops and just want to hop on and hop off it takes too long! So subway or taxi is better). Anyway done uptown loop am which took a couple of hours, then carried on the loop back to central park and hired bikes to go around park (took us 1 1/2 hrs with a stop for a drink at the boathouse), then walked to other side of central park to the top of 5th ave and caught the downtown loop (another couple of hours). All good and interesting!
Night- times square and good and drinks in restaurant row
Day 4) macys, empire state building, downtown loop to south seaport for lunch subway back to times square then out for a night out in Irish bars and ate just off restaurant row again.
Day 5) Shopping in times square, Rockerfella centre, top of the rock, walk up 5th ave Tiffanys, FAO Swarzch ate in Virgils real BBQ just off times square (not impressed). Off to airport for flight home.

Only thing booked in advance was ny waterway tour, Billy Elliott and crown ( need to book months in advance!). Rest we booked as required. Hope this helps
Flowertot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread