Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Nov 10, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bluesky30
Imagineer

Hi ukdiva, I will do, cyclospora stayed there and said it was ok, might be worth dropping her a PM, I've read the reviews on TA I thought most were ok, I tend to only pay attention to the reviews by uk people as I find the guys from the US expect alot more than us so often give negative reviews, we have a twin room as it was the cheapest, to be honest we will only be in it to sleep, I liked the location as it's in a quieter residential neighbour hood, I will take lots of pictures of the room and the hotel and update you when we get back
bluesky30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post

I leave on the 16th December, one night stopover at heathrow, and then 5 nights in NYC.
Special suprise is a limo for my 13 year old brother, he won't find out until we're there and the limo driver is waiting for us! My absolute must dos are the christmas floor in Macey's, times square and the natural history museum. I have planned the hole holiday as you can see on my holiday planner! Have booked everything in advance that we can do, sol and esb. Going to get broadway tickets from tkts.

My best tip for anyone going for the first time, as last Decemeber was my first time I speak with knowledge of how you are feeling! Read all of the new york trip reports and write notes of good tips and what you fancy doing. Get a good overall guide like the Brit's guide, and again, make a note of everything you want to do. Then have a good look at the map and group what you want to do by location - to maximise your time!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggerpooh
Apprentice Imagineer

Agree with point about planning by location made made in last post. We went in August for 4 nights. Stayed at Staybridge Suites by the Port Authority which I would recommend - especially for extra facilities of kitchenette.
Do not normally plan Orlando trips too much but felt I had to with NYC. Be prepared to walk miles but see loads which brain will struggle to take in until you return. I found loads of info on DIBB about NYC. DH could not understand why I was dibbing when we were not going to Orlando!
Aug 2000 HoJo Maingate East, Aug 2003 Holiday Inn Uni Blvd, Apr 2005 Windsor Palms, Aug 2006 Windsor Hills, Aug 2007 CBR-POR, Aug 2008 Regal Sun-Royal Pacific, Oct 2009 Springhill Suites, Aug 2011 Polynesian Isle Resort, July 2013 Key West Tour - AKL
tiggerpooh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Were going in March and will be in NY from the 8th to 11th before going on a Caribbean cruise from NJ! Going will be me, boyfriend, my mum and dad as its my mums 50th while were over there and she, as yet, has no idea about the holiday!

So far we dont have a hotel booked (still looking) which is making it a bit difficult to plan what were doing when! We have the SOL and Crown booked for our 1st morning (9th) and after that plan to spend some time downtown seeing as the ferry goes to Battery Park. Definitely wanna do TOTR as we didnt get a chance last time, this will also be boyfriends 1st trip but trying to get outta him what he wants to see is a nightmare!
scottishgirl87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post

I go in less than 2 weeks.. Flying from Heathrow with AA, Staying at the New Yorker and have bought the City Pass.
I am ashamed to say that is as far as the planning has got.
Wish me luck
Old 5 Nov 10, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post

OMG just reading this makes me even more excited

Originally Posted by ukdiva View Post
so not really planning anything in advance, apart from checking out some of the museums i haven't visited before, and getting tickets for a few shows from the TKTS booth.
ukdiva ~ wow 6 times ~ I hope that I will feel that way after my first visit. With the TKTS booth do you use the one in Times Square or one of the others? We are hoping to see a show while we are there but someone mentioned the booth in Brooklyn or elsewhere which was less busy . . .

Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post
Ive never been to New York, but we're hoping to go from 5th - 8th August, so I'll be in the Big Apple for my 40th on 6th August!

I feel confident planning our Florida trips, but feel like I don't know what I'm doing trying to plan this one - just me and DH, but keep getting such varying quotes for flights/hotels etc, I just don't know where to start.

I'll follow this thread carefully to see if any more NY experienced dibbers can give me some great tips about must-do's!
We've not been either but there are some interesting threads on here, I have read through the trip reports which have given me a lot of inspiration to be honest. I booked via Pillinger Travel, after some of the quotes that we got elsewhere for the same trip were up to £1400 more expensive! We are combining our trip with 10 nights in Orlando but I have to say, I bought this book on amazon and it is a great map book

The maps in it are big enough to see where everything is, it mentions all the important buildings museums, shops etc so Ive been finding it handy to see where everything is. I also bought theBrit Guide to New York which I've found useful too.

I did check out the NYC forum on TA, there are a lot of native New Yorkers on there, but wow, I find some of their attitude that they give to people for asking a simple question really off putting.

Flowertot, it sounds like you had a great trip. I am wondering about one of the evening cruises on our first night (its that or maybe ESB as its near our hotel) we land a similar sort of time as you, did you find it was a good way to start the trip or did the time difference start kicking in? Were you too tired to enjoy it?

Also, I see that you stopped at the boathouse, we are thinking of doing this for lunch on our Central Park area day . . .but eating from the kiosk rather than the full sit down place as my son wont eat what they serve anyway . . .was it nice?

Was interesting about what you said about Billy Elliot because this is the one I was thinking of going to see with DS ~ wondering whether we should give it a miss now . . .hmmmmm

We are also waiting to see what is going to be on if anything at Maddison Square Garden as we are staying across the road from it.

Originally Posted by ViclovesMGM View Post
I leave on the 16th December, one night stopover at heathrow, and then 5 nights in NYC.
Special suprise is a limo for my 13 year old brother, he won't find out until we're there and the limo driver is waiting for us! My absolute must dos are the christmas floor in Macey's, times square and the natural history museum. I have planned the hole holiday as you can see on my holiday planner! Have booked everything in advance that we can do, sol and esb. Going to get broadway tickets from tkts.

My best tip for anyone going for the first time, as last Decemeber was my first time I speak with knowledge of how you are feeling! Read all of the new york trip reports and write notes of good tips and what you fancy doing. Get a good overall guide like the Brit's guide, and again, make a note of everything you want to do. Then have a good look at the map and group what you want to do by location - to maximise your time!
This is definitely what I am doing and it seems to be working ok

Ive been looking at the possibility of a limo, my DS has always wanted to go in one, Ive never been in one, are you have a limo from the airport in to the hotel? Or have you booked it to take you around NYC? Can I ask who you booked with (and if you don't mind) the sort of price you paid? (IF you dont want to answer that I will understand but the prices Ive checked seem to vary so much)

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I was reading the "who is going when thread" for the florida trips and thought us new york visitors could do with one. I dont think I have ever been as excited about a trip as I am about the start of this one . . .thankfully my DS who is only 10, loves city visiting. We had a "tourist" weekend in london a few years ago, did things that I didnt do in the years I lived there, but we really enjoyed it. Plus some of the things he is doing at school this year he will get so see relating things when we go to the History Museum and Planetarium . . .

Has anyone been in the planetarium part of the history museum and if so what was it like?

Also, we didnt do Madame Tussauds in London cos we ran out of time but its free with our New York Pass and thought it would be a way to spend an hour on the first afternoon til we can get into our room in the hotel. I dont think I would go if it wasn't, but just wondering if anyone had been in and what you thought?
Old 5 Nov 10, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ojoboots
Imagineer

We went for the first time last April and loved it Seriously considering another trip next April and have been checking flights over the past few days and have just about convinced DH to book Will keep you posted

Villa - Magic Landings 2006
Villa - Highgrove 2007
Villa - Formosa Gardens 2008
Villa - LWP/Windwood Bay 2009
Villa - Calabay Parc 2010
Villa - Highgate Park 2011
Villa - Vista Park 2012
Villa - Ridgewood Lakes 2013

ojoboots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Peacemaker
Very Serious Dibber

We are going in Easter holidays, staying in Midtown and will be seeing a Broadway show and just going around Greenwich, East Village and hang around Central Park. We have no plans to do any of the ESB, SOL etc as I find it all boring. I just like to enjoy the atmosphere of being in NYC and I love the Village area.
Peacemaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
bluesky30
Imagineer

Karen

I use TA alot especially for vegas and the west coast, when I first started using the forums I couldn't believe how rude some of the replies were, after a while I just got used to it ~ then I discovered the DIBB and it was such a shock to get such lovely polite replies from people and not get abused for asking a question that may have been asked before!

we got in 3 weeks, I've never done a trip report before but I will try to take notes and do one when we return
bluesky30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 10, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

when is a cheap time to fly, i'm thinking of going next yr as we have our 10th wedding anniversary, felt like an old pro planning disney but this scares me also is it cheaper to fly to UK first then to new york, we're in Ireland,
Closed Thread